• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    "So it basically comes down to line twist (or lack of) for you, if I am reading correctly, right?"
    Just part of the equation. I have more line twist with mono, virtually eliminated with braided line. I still get some line twist with braided but it is manageable. Some say they do not have trouble with twist. That is not my experience. When fishing in Canada and casting all day, I always had line twist issues with mono. I do feel I am more accurate with the baitcaster, this is important when casting for small mouth bass. I like the "feel" I get with the baitcaster, especially when used with a blank through handle graphite rod. As others have stated, my choice is based on type of lure, lure weight, type of fish, fishing location and fishing method. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Yes. That does help. Thanks.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I feel the baitcaster gives you much more control. I can control distance and somewhat control "direction" after the cast.
    Body English is my go-to method of changing direction after the cast. Results vary, but seems to consistently fail when retrieval is impossible.

Thanks for explaining things for me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Baitcasters for 4+ decades of fishing for me. My son and my brother use both, but I just never got into spinning reels.

For me, I really like the Lew's reels in the price range you are talking but everyone will have a different favorite. I have other reels in cases, but all I fish these days are Lew's. That said my rod selection and brands are varied. Got some St Croix, some Fenwick and even a bass pro model or 2 I fish a lot these days. Have several other brands and models as backups hanging on racks as well.

Secret to learning baitcasting is dialing up your spool tension and magnetics up until you start getting the hang of it. Then start backing it off. Some baits also catch less wind, etc and just dial into the conditions. Also carrying multiple combos, each rigged up to be able to switch up what you are fishing without changing lures and adjusting every time, etc.

Most professional overruns can be easily remedied by pulling a loop or 2 with your fingers, but it can also be good to have a pick in your box for when you encounter a real birds best of an backlash.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I am a huge fan of lews. I have tried several brands, but the 3 lews are my favorite. I just started fishing 2 years ago this month. My favorite set up which is a general rig that's in my car everyday, is a lews speed spool lfs and a fenwick hmg. I keep 30lb braid on it and the rod is a mh 7'0. The combo is right at $200. Maybe to the dollar.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Light lures use spinning reel. You simply aren’t going to have success throwing a 1/32, 1/16 oz bait with a bait caster.
    Heavier lures can generally be thrown and retrieved better with a bait caster. Yes you can log heavy lures and bring in big fish on a spinning real but the longevity of the reel will be diminished.
    Line capacity is also a factor. Yes you can use smaller diameterheavier strength braided line but just because you can put 50LB braided on a smaller reel doesn’t mean the gears can handle it.

gcoop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Have at least one baitcast reel with 12lb or 15lb monofilament line on it to start with. A medium action rod combo should work well to start with. I am also a big fan of Lews reels, and they are nicely priced for the budget minded person. Spool the line on the reel snuggly but not super tight. Adjust the reel for the size of bait to use. Start with short casts and soon you will get the hang of it, able to make longer casts more accurately. Good Luck and Catch A Big One!

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! Lews reels look like they are good bang for the buck. I'm a Shimano guy when it comes to spinning reels, and it might spill over into the baitcaster world, but Lews looks like a good starting place.

Trying to decide between the Speed Spool LFS

Or the Tourmament Pro MP

Leaning more towards the MP...

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I use both. I use a baitcaster anytime I can mostly because I think they are fun to use. For me, the trick in learning how to use them is to buy a good reel because the adjustments are better to help make them more forgiving. An uncle taught me to set the drum tension so that when holding the rod out, a little shake of the rod will make the lure drop a little then stop. It limits casting distance but greatly reduces the backlash instances.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I haven't looked at one in a while but it seemed at one time that bait casters were geared lower which can make for less turning effort when running crank baits. I have one and was fairly proficient with it but now it mostly gathers dust as I prefer my spin casters.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Baitcasters are great once you master them. An old friend of mine helped me to adjust it so I could cast without a birdsnest. Here is a simple way to adjust. Tie a bait on you want to use, hold the rod horizontal to your body. Push the release button and adjust your spool tension so the bait will just start to fall. You don't want it to fall freely but just start to fall. You should use your thumb after spool is released with light pressure to help slow the spool when casting. Start out easy and as you progress you will figure out how to cast a good distance without a birds nest. I always use one for plastic worms, crankbaits and top water lures.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    the answer is both. Flipping jigs, skipping docks, and crank baits ill use a bait caster. Soft plastics , spinners, and lighter tackle ill use the spinning setup. I have spinning and casting for cats as well.

Top Bottom