6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Another one of our Isa’s started laying today!

Look at this adorable little copper nugget!

cBZf5JP_d.jpg

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Wow. They're normally not nearly that dark. Generally more like the top egg.

BTW, nice nail polish. :):

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    we got Bovans this year too, they seem to so much more flighty then all the other birds we have had, anybody else notice that?
    we got 10 thinking some might not make it but all did so we are giving away eggs to all the relatives

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    ANOTHER THREAD REZ!
    Our Bovan Browns (Lois, Mildred and Doris) are doing quite well after nearly 2 years, and egg a day in all weather. One of them stopped laying this summer, and we never got around to figuring out who the freeloader was. I suspected Lois. So we were down to 2 eggs a day.

Then, mysteriously, in the middle of a cold snap around Christmas, we started getting 3 eggs a day again. We added a few hours of additional lighting to the coop, and they didn't seem to like that, hanging out in the run until late and not going into the coop. But that was the only difference between two and three eggs a day - that and very cold weather.

Now we have extra eggs again, jut in time for the egg shortage.

271811906_10227414095276873_6689767137081282084_n.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Our older girls certainly slow down in the winter. The young ones just keep chugging along. We are getting 2-3 daily at the moment. 9 daily during the summer.

We are up to 9 birds, after adding 3 Dixies and 3 Sapphire Gems to our 3 Ameraucanas. SUPPOSED to sell off 3, but my daughter could part with them.

Here is an egg sample. One from each bird, and one extra (over achiever):
    IMG_1807.JPEG

Names are:
    Ameraucanas - Quarantina, The Countess Bockula, and Shadow
    Dixies - Dixie, Daisy, and Aroura.
    Sapphires - Lapis, Lazuli, and Olly.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Thread Rez for the third time!
    Our Bovan Browns stopped producing early last year. They needed a good worming, and got it, but only laid one more egg each then stopped again. We gave them 3 months, and then stopped buying feed and let them free range without any protection. We hoped they would feed the local wildlife, but they lived on their own for 4 months more. Since we would be getting new hens soon, we helped the remaining two shuffle off this mortal coil.

We have 4 ISA Browns now, ready to lay (but not yet it seems). Not as smart as the previous brood, but we have great expectations. At least they figured out how to use the chicken feeder.
    1670357569327.png

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Got our first egg yesterday, and our second today. Apparently these were shipped young and late, and it's taken them much longer to start laying than any of our other flocks. Looks like we're sitting on a gold mine!
    1674245747639.png

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Got our first egg yesterday, and our second today. Apparently these were shipped young and late, and it's taken them much longer to start laying than any of our other flocks. Looks like we're sitting on a gold mine!
    View attachment 249414
    This must work like the Silver thread. You got your first eggs, and today, Aldi had lowered the price of their eggs from $3.99 to $3.67/dozen. :):

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    View attachment 249414
    How much light are your chickens getting. Soon as we added light to the coop they started laying way more

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    How much light are your chickens getting. Soon as we added light to the coop they started laying way more
    Funny you should ask. We had a timer light on all winter, but the chickens hated it. They wouldn't go in the coop with it on, and pecked at it until it went out. I have to keep screwing it back in. People we know that got the same chickens from the same place at the same time haven't had any eggs either.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Funny you should ask. We had a timer light on all winter, but the chickens hated it. They wouldn't go in the coop with it on, and pecked at it until it went out. I have to keep screwing it back in. People we know that got the same chickens from the same place at the same time haven't had any eggs either.
    Thats wild. I do have some chickens who refused the coop even on coldest of nights. We had to go force them in they finally have started going on their own

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    How much work is taking care of chickens? How much does it cost a week?
    If you have the ability to free range can cost as little as …..nothing… if you have to feed them they eat a surprising amount of food… and if they are pets…. Holy cow look out cause those mealworms are pricey lol
    i had my light turning on at night… big mistake chickens wouldn’t go to sleep so now I kick it in in the morning about 3am much better.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Considering that I have two dogs and live close to woods, they wouldn't be free range. They definitely would not be pets! I am considering 3 or 4 purely for eggs. If it costs more than kroger, then it's not something I'm interested in...

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Considering that I have two dogs and live close to woods, they wouldn't be free range. They definitely would not be pets!
    Just jump in then they are just chickens don’t over think it. They are by far the best beginner livestock. Not because they are hardy lol as chicks they are not but they are cheap and pretty dang easy. Worst case learn you don’t like them you have pot pies.

Top Bottom