• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Most of my experience is around "base" camping as it was always family oriented. I did some trekking/pack camping 20+ years ago. I required much less as I was young and required less to live. Sometimes just a knife, a tarp, and a flask. I'm too old for that stuff anymore.

I appreciate your input. Don't plan on doing the AT anytime soon, so a lot of specialized gear isn't necessary. Maybe the local KT, but gotta get out and knock the rust off first. Looking into 3-5 day/night outings.

As previously mentioned up-post, I am reinvigorated of late and plan to get back into solo camping.
    I knocked the rust off on a solo in and out 2 night on the Tecumseh eight years ago or so, after not having backpacked for years. Missed last summer, want to get back out there again.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    They are just too bulky, not initially designed for lightweight/packing. That is with compression sack.

Potatoes have been done before. I usually have a higher calorie count, but want to sample some off the shelf goods.
    What does your bag weigh? It can go anywhere if it’s light.
    I’ve got a good bag from 1985ish, but it’s a good 4 lbs and doesn’t pack, and I don’t need all that warmth. Thinking about a new one with some REI rewards bucks.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I’ve got a good bag from 1985ish, but it’s a good 4 lbs and doesn’t pack, and I don’t need all that warmth. Thinking about a new one with some REI rewards bucks.

The new 0° is listed at 5lbs, the 30° is probably around 4. Both all synthetic fill.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

I retract my previous statement. Found a way for the 30° bag to go into designated compartment. 0° ain't happening. This opened up some top space. Easily fit a winter coat or such.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    That being said, I did make a few more adjustments... The pack will not allow use of Alice belt, so water containers were swapped. The GI's canteens will go back to the lot for the kids to cut their teeth (That's where I pulled them from). A 27oz Kleen w/ sport cap and 32oz Pathfinder cook set will replace them. Side pockets of pack make this perfect.

I also added a burner and 8oz fuel bottle. With both systems I can cook more efficiently and optimize resources. A mere $25 expense.

Fully packed minus water and food is 27lbs. Well under my 40lb limit. A bivy tent is still on the table, more research to come. Headed to HNF next weekend to shake it out!

IMG_20230328_170056905.jpg

IMG_20230328_171856345.jpg

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I would replace your bic lighters with electronic bic ones. The later will light soaking wet.
    Cotton clothing is deadly and heavy when wet.

pot,stove?

I will post a pic of what I just used for 4 days in Minnesota last week. Temperatures from 14F and snow to 86F and mud. Was an interesting few days weather wise to be sure.

I need to get unpacked first though,and clean things(was more than just 4 days of hiking the trip was 9 days,only 4 on trail).

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I would replace your bic lighters with electronic bic ones. The later will light soaking wet.
    Cotton clothing is deadly and heavy when wet.

pot,stove?

I will post a pic of what I just used for 4 days in Minnesota last week. Temperatures from 14F and snow to 86F and mud. Was an interesting few days weather wise to be sure.

I need to get unpacked first though,and clean things(was more than just 4 days of hiking the trip was 9 days,only 4 on trail).

Aside from the aforementioned stove/burner, I used the Pathfinder cook set. 2 pots boiling, 1 over gas and other over coals

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Open discussion for primitive or bushcraft pack contents. This could fit in parallel to the BOB thread in survival subforums, but thought let's keep it more on the planned camping side as opposed to SHTF. Shout out to @RealHonestAbe for helping me spend my $$$!

This is my current contents list of solo primitive camping gear. Some old, some new and in need of testing. This differs greatly from our "family gear" as there is little beyond basic need items for survival type scenarios. A lot of the tested gear ends up in there. I will do best to include links to specific items, others are generic and can be had from numerous vendors. Amazon is usually my storefront.

Comments and questions welcomed. Please share thoughts on gear and the "why's" of certain things. I'm no expert on anything, just spent a lot of time in the woods and have rekindled an old primitive love. Enjoy!

I'm currently looking to upgrade to a larger pack, perhaps in the 55L range. It all fits nicely, but a bit snug. Just a bit of breathing room for winter gear. Suggestions welcome. Currently sans food items, that's a follow-up. Just 2-3 days' worth needed, light eating. Water is carried on the belt. I hate Camelbak's.

Seibertron 40L pack. External items: Morakniv 511, Gerber Suspension NXT. Teton XL 0* sleeping bag, old yoga mat (I've been using for 10 yrs to sleep on and shoot off of)

Pouch A (Fire & Light)
    BIC w/ duck tape, BIC w/ attached tube containing water/windproof matches, bayite ferro rod (.5" x5"), 2x tubes cotton & petro jelly balls, 2x chem lights - 1R 1G

Pouch B
    USGI Poncho, XL Shemagh (I love these things. Use them often), 3x 2-packs Hot Hands

Pouch C
    Polyester T-shirt, warm weather socks, Boonie hat, pair of titanium spoon/forks, 2x napkin packs (excellent firestarter), 2x moist towelettes, half-roll of TP, 2x HD Ziploc bags (QT size, infinite uses), gloves, fleece cap, FAK (trauma based, not booboo - gauze, Israeli bandage, tourniquet, shears, more gauze, etc.)

Pouch D
    Pants roll, Mini Sawyer filter kit, Arcturus survival blanket, Cordage bag (4x tent stakes, fast deploy ridgeline w/ stake loops, Paracord, #36 bankline, extra webbing), sierra saw, Gerber pack axe, Energizer crank light w/ carabiner, tin "survival kit" - fishing line, hooks, razor, etc., [spare buckles, elec. tape, parrafin face paint/signal mirror, lansky pocket sharpener] - inner zipper pocket

View attachment 263834
    View attachment 263835 View attachment 263836 View attachment 263837 View attachment 263838 View attachment 263839 View attachment 263840
    How far can you hike with that on your back?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I'm always surprised by the utility of superb gear.
    Sure, there's a curve and a region of diminishing returns, but you don't realize how much better great gear is until you experience it. When you're chasing the far ends of that curve it doesn't really matter, but the meat is in the middle.

The great packs will take double that weight and let you hike all day. But you'll pay for that, and never need another one.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Going out again this weekend for another gear test and overnight. This time it's the old ALICE. Contents changed, no sleeping bag or tent. It's tarps and woobie this go 'round.

Meals are more off-the-shelf items. Tacos for lunch and Manhattans for dinner. Instant oatmeal and coffees for breakfast. Everything cooked or warmed using boiling water.

IMG_20230501_201006053.jpg
    IMG_20230501_113310206.jpg
    IMG_20230501_113323901.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Too hot for my blood, so before the next go-'round there's time to tinker.

A second Arcturus blanket was added. As much as I love them, my one gripe is lack of eyelets. They are only grommeted in the corners, so more reinforced ones were added down all sides. $5 Harbor Freight kit and a few feet of Gorilla Tape.

IMG_20230611_152630028.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    The additional tarp was to make free the woodland version for a biv-roll project.

Grommets added the same, although not reinforced (test purposes). Folded length-wise and laced with Paracord around the edge. Yoga mat and woobie inserted and rolled with. The whole thing weighs 3.4lbs and is slightly larger in length only to my self Inflating mat.

IMG_20230611_155245475.jpg

IMG_20230611_160853567.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Cook gear additions as well. I enjoy fire cooking moreso than a gas/burner combo. I don't care for dehydrated/freezedried meals so a more "homestyle" approach is my angle. Continuing on with the Pathfinder Cook Set, my old Stanley nesting cup set. I bent around the end of a milkshake spoon to hang on the cookpot.

Already tested and approved is the Stanley Cook Set and Grill Stand. The iron Bedroll cooker will hopefully get a test this fall (skverlz!) Waxed canvas bag and haversack for convenience, and I do love a good Crown Royal bag. Great for organizing and prefiltering.

IMG_20230611_161525302.jpg

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Cook gear additions as well. I enjoy fire cooking moreso than a gas/burner combo. I don't care for dehydrated/freezedried meals so a more "homestyle" approach is my angle. Continuing on with the Pathfinder Cook Set, my old Stanley nesting cup set. I bent around the end of a milkshake spoon to hang on the cookpot.

Already tested and approved is the Stanley Cook Set and Grill Stand. The iron Bedroll cooker will hopefully get a test this fall (skverlz!) Waxed canvas bag and haversack for convenience, and I do love a good Crown Royal bag. Great for organizing and prefiltering.

View attachment 281065
    It will be interesting to see what all that weighs. Looks heavy to me but i could be wrong. It is nice to have what you want, if you can carry it.

Top Bottom