• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    The article is titled about retiring the 1911, but goes on to extole its virtues, and say why it is still a good gun.. I’d like to own another one some day, because the ergonomics are out standing for just about any gun, a bad trigger on a 1911, is better than most striker fired guns, even with an upgrade/kit…… JMHO

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Mas is not wrong , and while I prefer more modern varients of the 1911 myself (IE the 2011's) there is a reason that the platform dominates almost every field of competitive shooting.

That being said due to the cost of getting a "good one" and how much more involved they are than say a P320 I relegate the 1911/2011 to the "enthusiast" category. Someone has to be pretty into handguns to run one well IMHO.

I am not a "great" shooter by any means at all lol , but how many can say they run their 45's like this?

random thought: I think I know that RSO.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    If it's not time to retire revolvers, it isn't time to retire the 1911.

Now “there you go” bang on. You hit the nail on the head. JMO, I did read the article myself, two times actually. Hence my specificity in saying headlines. I’ve found in todays continuous Information Age some only read the high points with no Consideration to the body or punctuation. The question mark at the end of the headline for instance. Submitted humbly by.

“An old fudd on life support“

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Found a nice article on the 1911.

The 1911 is better than ever more caliber choices and sizes make it even better than ever. Do i carry a 1911 ? Sometimes and its a full size 5" gun and its reliable and i like it. But i also like glocks 22 and 23 and 17and 19. They also get carried their capacity is nice and to be honest if i ding one of my 1911 i am angry and want to cry. If i bang my glock with a car door or grocery cart its like oh well its a glock. But many still carry revolvers and they only hold 6 or 7 shots so why nkt carry a 1911 with 7or 8 rounds and it packs flatter than a revolver. I kike revolvers too single and double action. Theres only two guns that i shoot as well as a 1911 and that a smith m&p with apex trigger and my sao cz shadow the glicks are next in line. I own sigs betettas and smith da/SA guns but that is all personal preference what works well for me may not work well for anyone else.

Reactions: Mij

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    The Armory Life is like taking Coca-Cola's word that Coca-Cola is the best soft-drink. Advertising masquerading as journalism. If capacity is an issue I guess you could get a 2011, but it's got a manually disabled safety and that's a dealbreaker for me. Not bashing, carried and shot the hell out of 1911s for a decade. I kept one 1911 for nostalgia, but I won't carry it, not even to BBQ's as my BBQ gun.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Given actual stats, many of the benefits of newer designs touted as requirements are about as necessary as would be driving a 14 passenger Econoline as your daily commuter just in case 13 of your coworkers need a lift home some night.

Higher capacity is great but 99.99% of risk is mitigated by just carrying a gun. Carry the gun that you shoot best and you are good to go no matter if it is a 1911 or modern 19+1 round 9mm red dot equipped polymer striker fired gun. It's more important to be competent with what you carry than it is to carry the highest capacity gun out there.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Given actual stats, many of the benefits of newer designs touted as requirements are about as necessary as would be driving a 14 passenger Econoline as your daily commuter just in case 13 of your coworkers need a lift home some night.

Higher capacity is great but 99.99% of risk is mitigated by just carrying a gun. Carry the gun that you shoot best and you are good to go no matter if it is a 1911 or modern 19+1 round 9mm red dot equipped polymer striker fired gun. It's more important to be competent with what you carry than it is to carry the highest capacity gun out there.
    But, but, but...
    I've heard, "Quantity has a quality all it's own".

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    The Armory Life is like taking Coca-Cola's word that Coca-Cola is the best soft-drink. Advertising masquerading as journalism. If capacity is an issue I guess you could get a 2011, but it's got a manually disabled safety and that's a dealbreaker for me. Not bashing, carried and shot the hell out of 1911s for a decade. I kept one 1911 for nostalgia, but I won't carry it, not even to BBQ's as my BBQ gun.
    Manually disabled safety? Like mine is automatic!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I love the analogy.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The first handgun that I ever learned to shoot was a GI 1911A1. With its horrendous and very heavy trigger pull, it was a challenge. I was lucky to have a coach to help me along. When given the choice to carry a 1911A1 or S&W model 10 .38 SPL revolver for personal defense, I chose the revolver which I could consistently shoot ok. As time passed, I started shooting competition and the 1911 was the only real choice. I learned to shoot it adequately and still shoot it today, but these later versions were much more refined and accurate. I actually carried a Colt Satin Commander for a time as a EDC. I still shoot the old war horse adequately and regularly, but my EDC is a plastic gun. Companies will quit making the 1911 pistols until people quit buying them. That doesn't look to be for a very long time.

Top Bottom