• ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Well barrel nuts that is.
    I ended up doing some trading and got a range tool handguard , the barrel nut is incredibly heavy & being this going to be a dedicated rimfire I figured I would make a barrel nut out of aluminum.
    Darn dog woke me up at 4am, by 430 I was ready to go, so machined this up this morning.
    Monday I will drop the nut off at anodizing on my way to work.
    What ya think? 20230325_071350.jpg 20230325_071358.jpg 20230325_071411.jpg 20230325_060333.jpg 20230325_053635.jpg 20230325_060321.jpg

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I think that I'm jealous of people like you who have the tools and skills to do something like this.

I also think that you might need some flats cut into the new barrel nut like the original has.
    There is a 5/16 hole drilled I the nut (not seen in pictures) for a pin type spanner wrench to fit. I feel the cross section is to thin, to support wrench flats.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Don't be jealous....cultivate friends with these skills, learn from them, share your knowledge with those friends.
    I just erected a 25'x60' building for a customer/ friend who immediately filled it with some of the most impressive machining tools I've ever seen.
    He put in a Bridgeport milling machine, a surface grinder, shears, lathes, presses...
    Waiting on the 3 phase electric to get installed and then he's off to the races.
    I feel this man will be particularly helpful to know in the future.
    I've been feeding him lead for years and he gives me back bullets.
    Now I can get him to make me things out of steel!

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I just erected a 25'x60' building for a customer/ friend who immediately filled it with some of the most impressive machining tools I've ever seen.
    He put in a Bridgeport milling machine, a surface grinder, shears, lathes, presses...
    Waiting on the 3 phase electric to get installed and then he's off to the races.
    I feel this man will be particularly helpful to know in the future.
    I've been feeding him lead for years and he gives me back bullets.
    Now I can get him to make me things out of steel!
    Local to you?

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Very good, if the friend starts taking gun customers please let us know, (I think you would). Stu is a long drive. Dont know if Steve is still doing work. See him posting about WCVGC but that’s about all I hear from him. I need a bbl. shortened.

Last edited:

Lpherr

Occupied
    Have you hit little machine shop for upgrades?
    If your near New Haven stop by and I will school ya...or we try over the phone
    I've done a few upgrades. First was the QCTP.
    I have their die holder, and wanted to do the cam lock on the tail stock, but haven't done it yet.

I used to make it to Ft. Wayne frequently, but since the Covid crap, we haven't been that way.
    Maybe we could set up something this summer.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    Not a big fan of 3 jaw chucks, but they do work for that type of turning. If your going to chamber barrels, play with barrels, cut threads on barrels, you need a 4 jaw chuck or a good 6 jaw chuck a lathe that has a big enough bore (1.50" or 1.75") so a barrel can go through the head stock and you can mount a spider back there. Best machine I've seen is a Haas Chucker CL-1 for barrel work.

Reactions: Leo

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Not a big fan of 3 jaw chucks, but they do work for that type of turning. If your going to chamber barrels, play with barrels, cut threads on barrels, you need a 4 jaw chuck or a good 6 jaw chuck a lathe that has a big enough bore (1.50" or 1.75") so a barrel can go through the head stock and you can mount a spider back there. Best machine I've seen is a Haas Chucker CL-1 for barrel work.
    Thank you for input. However I am guessing after 32 years of being a die maker, I might know a little something about lathe work.
    It not the machine that turns out good work but the Machinist who is running the machine.

Let's see you Haas ....let's see your lathe work, barrel work.......that's what I thought, you don't have a lathe, have never chambered anything, never threaded anything, never been published, don't know the first thing about what your saying.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    Thank you for input. However I am guessing after 32 years of being a die maker, I might know a little something about lathe work.
    It not the machine that turns out good work but the Machinist who is running the machine.

Let's see you Haas ....let's see your lathe work, barrel work.......that's what I thought, you don't have a lathe, have never chambered anything, never threaded anything, never been published, don't know the first thing about what your saying.
    No Sir I am not cutting on your work! I am not a Tool and Die maker, not even a machinist! Do I have a lathe, not any more having sold my farm in MO after I had health problems. Have I threaded a barrel just a few, have they all turned out perfect, no. I've had to cut off the end of the barrel and start over more than once. The Haas was at a production shop turning for a defence contractor. Again Not cutting your work!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    No Sir I am not cutting on your work! I am not a Tool and Die maker, not even a machinist! Do I have a lathe, not any more having sold my farm in MO after I had health problems. Have I threaded a barrel just a few, have they all turned out perfect, no. I've had to cut off the end of the barrel and start over more than once. The Haas was at a production shop turning for a defence contractor. Again Not cutting your work!
    I appreciate you words sir!

I have spoiled many a job. As an apprentice I screwd a lot up, it's part of the learning curve.
    Come on up and I'll share my knowledge with you or anyone who is willing to learn.

By the way today's machine project, I am teaching myself CNC programming.
    Profile milled, drilled & ridged tapped
    20230328_083105.jpg 20230328_083110.jpg

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    Lathe and Milling machine I owned because getting something simple would take days, and on a farm even if it's not really a food crop, food plots had to go in and the soil in the Ozarks is made up of 3 parts rock and 1 part soil if you can call it that. So three times a year we planted different grains, tubers and grasses. The soil was the easy part it's the rocks that made it hard. PTO drive shafts were a big repair job. Cut the shaft mount it in the lathe cut a bevel both sides, fire up the Miller, place about a pound to two pounds of wire, then back in the lathe to turn it down back to size.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Wish I had some machine tools myself. Would enjoy learning machining. When I was younger I wanted to get into tool/die making but never figured out how to get into it or what training/education needed.

As the years went by and mfg. in this country took a dump to go to mexico or overseas I gave up.

Top Bottom