Auto loading .308 that doesn't kinda suck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    No offense but a brand new Loaded model is online at Modern Warriors for 1750. And it's factory OD green not rattle canned.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No offense but a brand new Loaded model is online at Modern Warriors for 1750. And it's factory OD green not rattle canned.

No offense taken. I have nothing to do with the add, other than seeing it in the classifieds.

I would certainly advocate watching and supporting the INGO classifieds though. Maybe the seller would negotiate, if gracefully passed along the above info?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Hadn't considered the Kel-Tec either. Thanks I'll look into them

A real deal FAL would be ideal but from what I've read imports built from kits can be hit or miss. But I have no experience with them personally. The CETME is the Spanish(?) clone of the HK93 correct?
    You can get a 24" barrel version that's still shorter than an AR10. I've never had issues with KT, but some have.

The stainless CETME has a long and convoluted history. The cast receiver is much more rigid that the usual pressed sheet steel ones, but also harder to find, though only slightly more expensive. They are not distorted by the clamp scope mount. Has the well-known roller lock operation, and is very reliable.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    LWRCI REPR

POF Revolution

Disclaimer, as I own neither. I do however have a LWRCI IC SPR I am fond of. I am also partial to piston guns.

Personally I put AR-10s in the same category I would any generic Auto loader from around the world. They are not built to a US, or really any, military technical data package standard. I do not expect from the AR-10 platform what I would from the AR-15 which is essentially a civilianized M16 with as much commonality as possible. Two very different things.

I expect nearly US military interchangeability of parts for AR-15s which claim to be AR-15 compatible. I do not expect this from any AR-10 platform it is simply a commercially available selection of firearms based upon a loose collection of industry agreed dimensions.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    LWRC REPR looks cool. But it's again one I've not seen many reviews on. I know LWRC is considered a premium brand through. May have to look a little deeper.

I know AR-10s are kinda all over the place. That's why I've never really wanted one. I was hoping with the US military adopting a couple like the SR-25 and HK417 (which is another i forgot about until now) that there would be a solidification around those platforms and the industry would settle into one or the other and start standardizing the AR-10 finally. But that hasn't happened. Seems Knights and HK are keeping the build sheets in house. I do know that the LMT lower is licensed from Knights and while not identical, supposedly mates up to SR-25 uppers and functions properly according to Small Arms Solutions

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Well it seems he's stuck on the Springfield Saint Victor. I'm not sure if some gun counter guru is pushing something that's been sitting on the shelf for a long time, or if he's drunk on Springfield advertising. But the way he was talking tonight he seems to think it's the best AR10 on the market. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up with one soon. Oh well. Hope it works.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My Aero Precision build that turned into way to much money runs great.

I run 175gr Sierra MK and Hornady Match BTHP mostly.
    Speer 125gr TNT
    I want to try the 155gr Sierra Palma.

Last edited:

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I've never owned nor shot an AR-10, but I do have two HK91 clones and love them both. One is a Portugese XG3S, the other is a Century C308 Sporter. Both run flawlessly. I shouldn't really advocate for a PTR based on ownership of similar guns, but I think if you get one of the older ones, they're good to go. Plus, there's a "cool factor" in HK-slapping the charging handle, and it's hard to argue against $5 - 10 surplus HK steel and aluminum mags.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I have heard the SCAR 17 was prone to problems. But I've not followed them so I didn't know if they were sorted out yet or not. 100% proprietary parts that are unobtainable is another big issue I've heard about them

Problems? Due to the light weight, the recoil impulse can be hard on low cost optics. I have a Nightforce on it that has not had trouble.

"The MK 17 is now in widespread use by United States SOF forces in Afghanistan, where its relative light weight, accuracy and stopping power has proved of worth on the battlefield."

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Problems? Due to the light weight, the recoil impulse can be hard on low cost optics. I have a Nightforce on it that has not had trouble.

"The MK 17 is now in widespread use by United States SOF forces in Afghanistan, where its relative light weight, accuracy and stopping power has proved of worth on the battlefield."

Again I have no personal experience with the SCAR 17 and have not followed the rifles development. I did own a SCAR 16 for a quick minute back when I was a younger single man with no kids and all my extra cash went towards guns and ammo. But quickly found out it didn't do anything my ARs didn't do IMHO better. I will say NHT3's comment is not the first I've heard about the 17 eating itself. And that's as far as my knowledge goes of the rifles. Hopefully FN got them sorted.

Last edited:

Ross Rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Columbia City
    Having shot a fair number of budget AR10 pattern rifles, there is no reason that, with a modicum of attention and tuning, that they won't run reliably, and deliver 1 MOA accuracy off a bench. Perhaps this is an unpopular sentiment, but, from my perspective, they don't need to run 100% reliably. It would be, at best, irresponsible to use a .308 for home defense, and a stoppage at the range has never ruined my day. With that being said, a fair number of suggestions have been specialized variants of the AR10, and of them I find the HK MR762 to be exceptionally accurate, though pricey. Alternatively, there are some SIG 751s that have been recently imported. I relegate my INDEP G-3 to range toy status, as it is not particularly accurate, much the same as any G3 pattern rifle in my experience. If you wanted a truly accurate roller delayed gun there is the SIG 510 series of rifle, the AMT being its imported derivative, though good luck finding one for less than $8k...

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I will have to say that starting this thread to try and help my brother out has made me start thinking about getting a modern battle rifle myself. But I really don't need one. I rrreeeally don't.. I mean I NEED a new truck. I've got a 2yo son and one on the way, I really don't need any new guns.
    Ahhh! This is why I've been avoiding INGO!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Having shot a fair number of budget AR10 pattern rifles, there is no reason that, with a modicum of attention and tuning, that they won't run reliably, and deliver 1 MOA accuracy off a bench. Perhaps this is an unpopular sentiment, but, from my perspective, they don't need to run 100% reliably. It would be, at best, irresponsible to use a .308 for home defense, and a stoppage at the range has never ruined my day. With that being said, a fair number of suggestions have been specialized variants of the AR10, and of them I find the HK MR762 to be exceptionally accurate, though pricey. Alternatively, there are some SIG 751s that have been recently imported. I relegate my INDEP G-3 to range toy status, as it is not particularly accurate, much the same as any G3 pattern rifle in my experience. If you wanted a truly accurate roller delayed gun there is the SIG 510 series of rifle, the AMT being its imported derivative, though good luck finding one for less than $8k...
    You're right. It doesn't need to be 100%. But I'm not one to suggest something I believe to be sub par. Just like I'm sure if I were shopping for a new motorcycle my brother would strongly encourage me to get a Ducati.

Top Bottom