Auto loading .308 that doesn't kinda suck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    No personal experience but while I was working at SPB I know the SCAR 17 on the rental wall seldom lasted over 6 months without going back to FN for repair..
    I have heard the SCAR 17 was prone to problems. But I've not followed them so I didn't know if they were sorted out yet or not. 100% proprietary parts that are unobtainable is another big issue I've heard about them

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have two dpms (a large frame and small frame) and haven't had any issues. Each have a few thousand rounds through them. My large frame wasn't accurate until a barrel swap fixed it, but they've both cycled reliably.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have ptr 91's have had no issue with them what so ever, DSA fan are good to go, i even have a centime c3 that does really good, but remember they are battle style rifles aren't really made to shoot sub moa. I have had 3 ar10's all had issues mainly had to use adjustable gas blocks, really have to be careful on bcg's also lower priced ones don't last so long mainly extractor issues think they are to soft, always replaced them with dpms extractors!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have two dpms (a large frame and small frame) and haven't had any issues. Each have a few thousand rounds through them. My large frame wasn't accurate until a barrel swap fixed it, but they've both cycled reliably.
    I know DPMS are the ones that really kinda "standardized-ish" the AR10 with the LR308/SR25 magazines but that's about all I know about them. I'll look into them thanks

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    You are asking with reliability in mind, so:
    Springfield M14/M1a
    FN FAL
    HK-91
    All of these are proven battle rifles. I am certain that I am forgetting others, but these are the versions I am familiar with.
    I'm probably going to try to stear him towards an M1A. He's more into classic style guns so it was weird to me when he started asking about AR-10s. He's always been a big fan of our dad's M1 Garand so the M1A may be the ticket. Something he can shoot without feeling guilty about. Although I doubt whatever he gets will see high round counts I'd still rather see him buy something quality.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've got an MPR.Over a thousand rounds no issues.Ive only put 550 or so thru the SFAR...runs like a sewing machine so far.
    That's good to hear. I'm a little skeptical about Ruger guns in the last few years. Seems they followed the Sig plan of using the public to Beta test and fix issues under warranty. A buddy of mine ( pretty new to guns) has an AR-556. After cleaning it one time he brought it to me and said it wouldn't cycle. It became a single shot. After looking at it he had put the bolt in backwards and the extractor was on the inside of the receiver! I'm not sure how he got the cam pin installed, it's supposed to only go one way into the bolt carrier or got the rifle put back together for that matter. But ever since then I've been a little leary of Ruger ARs. It shouldn't be that far out of spec from factory.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    American made M1A-tried and true! Get the enhanced model and you are probably still under $2K.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I just looked up some IMBEL Preban FALs on Gunbroker. Uhm yeah, no. You could buy an SR-25 for what they are asking. That is if you could find an SR-25.

Top Bottom