Auto loading .308 that doesn't kinda suck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Hey INGO! I haven't posted in a while but I've been perfecting my lurking skills. Seems we've lost some good people.... sad to see. CM was a friend and I didn't know BT personally but enjoyed his posts. RIP guys.

MAC posted a video the other day about why AR-10s kinda suck. My brother has expressed interest in getting into an AR-10 despite my best efforts to talk him out of it (I just don't think he realizes how big of a can of worms AR-10s can be) I haven't shown him MAC's video yet but he lays it out pretty well. How no two AR-10s are alike and it can be very hard to make one reliable. So it got me thinking. What auto loading (AR-10s and others) are out there that don't kinda suck. I'm not sure his budget but what does INGO think about 30 caliber auto loaders?

My list in no particular order:

IWI Galil 7.62
    IWI Tavor 7
    LMT MARS-H
    DD5 V3
    NEMO XO
    M1A

The most affordable are probably the M1A and DD5. My personal suggestion would be the LMT MARS-H as I have personal experience with LMT products. I own 3 now and I blame INGO entirely for it lol. No real opinions on the IWI guns and the Gali seems hard to find reviews on. T7 seems well reviewed. The real off the wall one is the NEMO and I can't seem to find anything about them anywhere which is good in a way but bad also.

Hard No to PTR and DSArms. To many horror stories.

What say INGO?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    A friend had a few PTR rifles that he really liked. I shot it once, and it seemed to be a pretty nice rifle. Options for railed and just iron sights.
    Shoots really nicely with a supressor.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    RFB, but FALs are nice.
    CETME with the stainless cast receiver.
    Hadn't considered the Kel-Tec either. Thanks I'll look into them

A real deal FAL would be ideal but from what I've read imports built from kits can be hit or miss. But I have no experience with them personally. The CETME is the Spanish(?) clone of the HK93 correct?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    What about the DD5? Anyone have experience with them?

I'm trying to talk him out of a Springfield Victor Saint AR-10. I want him to gave a nice rifle not something I'm afraid he'll have problems with

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Hey INGO! I haven't posted in a while but I've been perfecting my lurking skills. Seems we've lost some good people.... sad to see. CM was a friend and I didn't know BT personally but enjoyed his posts. RIP guys.

MAC posted a video the other day about why AR-10s kinda suck. My brother has expressed interest in getting into an AR-10 despite my best efforts to talk him out of it (I just don't think he realizes how big of a can of worms AR-10s can be) I haven't shown him MAC's video yet but he lays it out pretty well. How no two AR-10s are alike and it can be very hard to make one reliable. So it got me thinking. What auto loading (AR-10s and others) are out there that don't kinda suck. I'm not sure his budget but what does INGO think about 30 caliber auto loaders?

My list in no particular order:

IWI Galil 7.62
    IWI Tavor 7
    LMT MARS-H
    DD5 V3
    NEMO XO
    M1A

The most affordable are probably the M1A and DD5. My personal suggestion would be the LMT MARS-H as I have personal experience with LMT products. I own 3 now and I blame INGO entirely for it lol. No real opinions on the IWI guns and the Gali seems hard to find reviews on. T7 seems well reviewed. The real off the wall one is the NEMO and I can't seem to find anything about them anywhere which is good in a way but bad also.

Hard No to PTR and DSArms. To many horror stories.

What say INGO?

Does it have to be tactical? Browning is offering a tactical looking BAR with a 10+1 capacity. I've been happy with my BAR Safari in .243, and they offer other models as well.

Here's the synthetic stocked one: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/967247383

They can be had for less than this one, obviously. You could buy one, shorten and thread the barrel, and have a handy 10+1 sporter without the AR-10 issues.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Does it have to be tactical? Browning is offering a tactical looking BAR with a 10+1 capacity. I've been happy with my BAR Safari in .243, and they offer other models as well.

Here's the synthetic stocked one: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/967247383

They can be had for less than this one, obviously. You could buy one, shorten and thread the barrel, and have a handy 10+1 sporter without the AR-10 issues.

No, not required. He would probably like that better honestly. I just know he was being pretty serious about the AR-10 for some reason and I know my brother and he can be hard to reason with when he has his mind set on what he wants. He's not really a gun guy he's a motorcycle guy that likes guns. I'm a gun guy that likes motorcycles and that about the only lanes we cross paths in. So I'm just trying to help him get as close to what he wants without buying something that he will end up not liking

Top Bottom