Auto loading .308 that doesn't kinda suck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'll admit the new Zastava M77 with wood furniture has caught my eye. I love my VEPR .308 but I feel like I can't shoot it much since it's now irreplaceable. It would be cool to have a .308 AK I can bash on.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Back in the day, I had a 16" Saiga .308. It didn't suck. Was converted from sporter to mil and had a 4x commie scope. If I could find one again, I'd probably buy it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Back in the day, I had a 16" Saiga .308. It didn't suck. Was converted from sporter to mil and had a 4x commie scope. If I could find one again, I'd probably buy it.
    I missed the boat on those. I remember when those were around $300 ish. :(

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I’ve watched this thread for quite awhile now and I’m curious why so many arms makers make a 16” 7.62x51/308 with a 1:12 twist. I’ve always thought the perfect (?) twist for the round was 1:10. I’ve shot 150gr accurately in a 1:10 and the 175’s shine while the 1:12…. While I never shot a rifle with that twist it seems to me it would hamper heavier 175’s…. Just me thinking out loud. Any of you guys with 1:12’s and 175’s educate me :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My Vote would be for the Sig 716i - has been wonderful to shoot and no issues so far. Price range is decent and will give your brother something he could enjoy and trade down the road.

I’ve been very happy with my 716i too. No reliability issues experienced so far in around 400 rounds. It’s not my most accurate .308 but I also tend to run Norma ammo through it, which is not the most accurate ammo out there too.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Hey INGO! I haven't posted in a while but I've been perfecting my lurking skills. Seems we've lost some good people.... sad to see. CM was a friend and I didn't know BT personally but enjoyed his posts. RIP guys.

MAC posted a video the other day about why AR-10s kinda suck. My brother has expressed interest in getting into an AR-10 despite my best efforts to talk him out of it (I just don't think he realizes how big of a can of worms AR-10s can be) I haven't shown him MAC's video yet but he lays it out pretty well. How no two AR-10s are alike and it can be very hard to make one reliable. So it got me thinking. What auto loading (AR-10s and others) are out there that don't kinda suck. I'm not sure his budget but what does INGO think about 30 caliber auto loaders?

My list in no particular order:

IWI Galil 7.62
    IWI Tavor 7
    LMT MARS-H
    DD5 V3
    NEMO XO
    M1A

The most affordable are probably the M1A and DD5. My personal suggestion would be the LMT MARS-H as I have personal experience with LMT products. I own 3 now and I blame INGO entirely for it lol. No real opinions on the IWI guns and the Gali seems hard to find reviews on. T7 seems well reviewed. The real off the wall one is the NEMO and I can't seem to find anything about them anywhere which is good in a way but bad also.

Hard No to PTR and DSArms. To many horror stories.

What say INGO?
    I own 2 .308 platforms.
    IWI Galil 7.62
    VEPR .308 23inch

Everyone has an opinion and that is good. I personally like the .308 compared to the two 5.56NATO rifles I own.

The Galil and Vepr have both been modified to meet my needs. The Galil was a bit over gassed so I put in an adjustable gas piston that tamed it down. The brass drops close by instead of launching 30 feet away. The Galil will destroy the brass case so if you are a reloader, don't go Galil!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I own 2 .308 platforms.
    IWI Galil 7.62
    VEPR .308 23inch

Everyone has an opinion and that is good. I personally like the .308 compared to the two 5.56NATO rifles I own.

The Galil and Vepr have both been modified to meet my needs. The Galil was a bit over gassed so I put in an adjustable gas piston that tamed it down. The brass drops close by instead of launching 30 feet away. The Galil will destroy the brass case so if you are a reloader, don't go Galil!
    Thanks for the info. I also have a VEPR .308. Even though I've done the same and modified it to death I still feel bad about shooting it because it's irreplaceable now. Looking at the Zastava .308 really hard right now. Might help scratch that itch without beating up the VEPR

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Just an update on the Original topic of the post. My brother has pretty much moved on to the next thing and forgotten about getting an auto loading .308. Only problem is this thread has made me want to get one.

Combat Engineer

One of the three percent.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2022
    Mauckport In.
    I've heard some good things about the SFAR. Hopefully they continue. I'm just leary of being in the beta test group.
    With a Vortex Diamondback Tactical scope I'm getting sub moa groups from a bipod shooting prone at 100 yards.My next round will be at Yellowbanks where I can stretch it out to as much as 350 and all points between.Ill do a complete review with pics.My MPR is awesome..can't say nothing bad about it.Its ate Winchester 55 grain,PMC 55 grain,Hornady 77 grain...fires all wonderfully It's also sub moa.Over a thousand rounds fired reliably.Maybe I'm lucky,who knows.Ive never purchased a bad Ruger.Cant say the same for some other brands.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    Got to love the semi auto 308 guns! Now if you go with the M1a expect to spend the same as what paid for it to really get it to shoot, unitize the gas system, bed the rifle, bore out the flash hider, depending on the smith doing the work add a stiffener to the forearm.There are a few AR platforms that work Smith&Wesson, Knights armament, Daniel Defence. If you can afford one a HK91. Lots of choices.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Bringing this old thread back...

I am wanting another 308 battle rifle.

Have had a LMT MWS and a SCAR 17...but sold both of them.

Now thinking about a B&T APC308. I have 4 other B&Ts including an APC223.

Also thinking about a Daniel Defense DD5v3.

What is the real world experience out there in INGO land say?

I want something fairly light. Already have my heavy long range bolt gun, so this would be the mid range use on the go gun.

Thanks

Mark

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    We own a few vintage 308 autoloaders. a G3, 91, M1A NM, AR10 NM and a Robinson SR25.
    All are great rifles, It would be hard to pick which ones in second place and lower. LOL

Top Bottom