Auto loading .308 that doesn't kinda suck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Their is a video of a guy that took a Aero Precision AR-10 and ran it without lubricant until it stopped. It went farther than I expected it to.

I don't know why anyone would run any AR without lubricant in the first place, or any firearm. It's a tool it builds up heat from friction without lubricant it will fail eventually.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've had the same M1A since 1981, it's always been both accurate and reliable. Owned a G3/HK91 for a while, but I reload and those things put your brass into low earth orbit, so I sold it.
    Yep, my M1A NM has a factory shiny poly finish from that same era.
    The G3'are definitely tough on brass,
    but they are mild manored children when compaired to a Valmet.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What about that new Ruger offering.
    Can't recall the model number.

Supposed to be a sub 8lb .308 semi-auto in an AR-15 platform.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    What about that new Ruger offering.
    Can't recall the model number.

Supposed to be a sub 8lb .308 semi-auto in an AR-15 platform.

That would be the Ruger SFAR--and it's about as easy to find as 2-horned unicorns.
    I've been looking for a 20" bbl version for several months now and... am still looking.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I have heard the SCAR 17 was prone to problems. But I've not followed them so I didn't know if they were sorted out yet or not. 100% proprietary parts that are unobtainable is another big issue I've heard about them

I do believe they had any problems sorted out before the USSOCOM testing for the Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle, back in 2010.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    One interesting version is the DPMS GII Series, specifically the GII Recon. Some have called it an AR-12.5, because it uses a lighter weight receiver and BCG. The BCG is also smaller than a regular AR-10 BCG and runs with two AR-15 Ejector lugs instead of one AR-10 Ejector lug. The BCG and receiver is proprietary however, which prevents some parts commonality, but trigger, barrel, buffer, etc. do have commonality. When I first got mine, the recoil was a little rough and it failed to feed on the second to last round of every magazine, but after switching the buffer spring to a heavier Springco and getting one of those hydraulic buffers, no feeding issues since. I heard this is because they are over gassed from the factory. My recon can put old Vietnam era surplus rounds around 1 MOA out of its 16" stainless steel barrel.

Last edited:

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Hard No to PTR and DSArms. To many horror stories.
    I also urge caution with DSArms. I've heard about great DSAs, but not mine. Had a custom SA-58 (their modern FAL variant) ordered, and couldn't even hit paper at 50 yds with the iron sights. Was a comfortable gun to shoot, however.

Top Bottom