• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I have a Clubcar XRT 1200 shown below. I really like it but it will not climb the ravines on my property. I am looking for a used gas-powered 4 wheel drive side by side. Something with bigger tires and more torque. I need grunt and not speed. Not looking for hunting but rather trail riding, pulling out medium-sized downed trees, and property maintenance. My club car does everything for me but climb these bitchin hills. 4WD is a must. Any suggestions on brand/models appreciated.

1642368370233.jpeg

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Budget? The Kawasaki mule is a workhorse. Polaris Ranger is what I have 800xp and plenty of power what I use it for... but flat ground.
    Tires will make a huge difference.
    Using it just to get around? Or hauling a load up the hills and ravines? Kubota makes a torque monster that are diesel powered.. big bucks about any way you go.
    You will get plenty of opinion here. Good luck on your purchase.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If grunt is the primary concern you could do a lot worse than a Polaris Ranger EV. Tons of torque delivered on demand. My hunting partner and I have put a few thousand hours on his since he bought it in 2014. We've had it in some pretty gnarly terrain and it'll pull until the tires break traction, we've never found anything it couldn't climb due to torque.

The downside is weight, we have gotten it stuck in mud several times. With a super low center of gravity and not a ton of ground clearance it doesn't do super great in the mud.

The bonus is getting around quietly. I consider it to be a huge advantage when I think about how many deer we've driven very close to without being detected much in advance.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Budget? The Kawasaki mule is a workhorse. Polaris Ranger is what I have 800xp and plenty of power what I use it for... but flat ground.
    Tires will make a huge difference.
    Using it just to get around? Or hauling a load up the hills and ravines? Kubota makes a torque monster that are diesel powered.. big bucks about any way you go.
    You will get plenty of opinion here. Good luck on your purchase.
    I am looking for something used. Budget around 8-10k. I will use it to get mail, ride trails and pull trees out to be cut and split. Half or more of my 5 acres is somewhat unexplored because of the ravines.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    If grunt is the primary concern you could do a lot worse than a Polaris Ranger EV. Tons of torque delivered on demand. My hunting partner and I have put a few thousand hours on his since he bought it in 2014. We've had it in some pretty gnarly terrain and it'll pull until the tires break traction, we've never found anything it couldn't climb due to torque.

The downside is weight, we have gotten it stuck in mud several times. With a super low center of gravity and not a ton of ground clearance it doesn't do super great in the mud.

The bonus is getting around quietly. I consider it to be a huge advantage when I think about how many deer we've driven very close to without being detected much in advance.
    Torque from electric power is awesome. I appreciate the idea.
    I am not concerned with stealth. Big tires and much ground clearance are a plus.

greatwhite223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Rural LaGrange
    Kawasaki mules tend to be cheaper and a little less fancy. The one we had also did not go that fast and had a John Deere lawn mower engine in it. It was great for hauling wood and building fence.
    Currently we have Polaris rangers, everywhere from a 500, an 800, and two 1000 cc models. The newer ones are expensive, but boy are they nice as well. In my opinion, they get more comfortable, as well as quieter and cooler the further back the engine is positioned. Watch out for that on JD Gators especially.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have casually been looking to buy one on and off for years, they all seem to hold their value great and never seem to fall inside of my price point. I only have experience with the Gator industrial types.

OP the ClubCar XRT has always been of interest to me, I read about it having some sort of Awd system that did not need low range and sent power to all 4 wheels all the time. I live on a steep hill and 4wd and power to climb the hill with a full payload plus some is necessary. Can you please talk about some of the weaknesses of yours?

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Kawasaki mules tend to be cheaper and a little less fancy. The one we had also did not go that fast and had a John Deere lawn mower engine in it. It was great for hauling wood and building fence.
    Currently we have Polaris rangers, everywhere from a 500, an 800, and two 1000 cc models. The newer ones are expensive, but boy are they nice as well. In my opinion, they get more comfortable, as well as quieter and cooler the further back the engine is positioned. Watch out for that on JD Gators especially.
    Thanks for the advice.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I still use regular ATVs with cargo racks. Someday I'll probably buy a UTV, just to cruise around or take visitors out.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I have casually been looking to buy one on and off for years, they all seem to hold their value great and never seem to fall inside of my price point. I only have experience with the Gator industrial types.

OP the ClubCar XRT has always been of interest to me, I read about it having some sort of Awd system that did not need low range and sent power to all 4 wheels all the time. I live on a steep hill and 4wd and power to climb the hill with a full payload plus some is necessary. Can you please talk about some of the weaknesses of yours?
    Mine had been a work horse for me. Good power and virtually maintenance free. Family friendly also. Wife jumps on it and gets after chores like a pro. We have used it for 2 summers working on the flatter ground around the cabin. The only negative is 2 wheel drive on steeper hills in the southern part of the land. I give the Club Car XRT two thumbs up.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    my 3010 mule is slow but will haul a big load of wood if stacked, holds a lot of treestand in bed, fits my needs perfectly.
    I googled 3010 mule. Looks like a workhorse of a unit.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I've owned several SXS over the years. In my opinion, the Polaris Ranger is the way to go. It has the best ride , durable and the most factory or aftermarket accessories available. I would look for one that has power steering. You don't need PS , but I couldn't live without it now . I own several hundred acres . mostly wooded and HILLS . I use it for hauling wood , pulling trees etc... Zero complaints .

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora

The EV are awesome hunting machines for sure. That being said, I wouldn't use them for work machine, especially in hilly terrain. I had one for about 4 years but had to do batteries about every 16 months. Never lacked for power, but the hills would get batteries HOT and discharge quicker. That puts the hurt on any battery's longevity.

For a hunting rig, hands down, there is nothing better out there. I just wouldn't recommend for a work machine.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Love my Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail XT, had since 2014. Go to WV often and ride HMT, climbs some stuff I never should of tried but its a billy goat, best 4x4 system imho. I would never use a SXS to pull stumps, just looking for trouble doing that. I have dragged some heavy logs though. Always some used ones for sale on FB marketplace. The Trail is 50" wide and the Wildcat Sport is 60" with better shocks. DSC03437.JPG

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    I have a Honda pioneer and a Yamaha Viking both side by sides and will climb any hill at my place in southern Indiana. I have some big hills and either will climb with ease. The Honda has a shorter wheel base and will get around the trails in the woods better.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    My vote is the Yamaha Rhino 700.
    If you need torque and you're not buying a diesel you'll probably want a thumper (single large cylinder).
    I was concerned a 700cc wasn't enough but it's not been a problem.

I bought it used about 3 years ago. My wife uses it twice every day for poultry chores. I run it hard working around the property and during hunting season. It had the first mechanical failure last month when the starter solenoid failed.

It's simply never been stuck. And we've tried. We took it the the 3-gun match in Wabash in 2020. If you were there are heard about it you'll know it was an absolute mud fest. The Rhino barley slowed down.

Drawbacks? It tends to be on the smaller side (which suits me). The early modals had a recall for rollovers and mine can feel a bit tippy above 40mph but I've not noticed it on hills.

Yamaha Rhino.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    All those are cute.

50 hp @ 6,000 rpm, 47 ft/Lbs tq @ 3,200 rpm
    012.jpg
    Hills? Got plenty of those. 21 degree in places. It will pull a good size log out of the woods but I end up cutting and hauling out rounds because the firewood ends up cleaner.
    018.jpg
    023.jpg
    You can pick up one of these in decent shape and hours for the price range you quoted.

Last edited:

greatwhite223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Rural LaGrange
    I've owned several SXS over the years. In my opinion, the Polaris Ranger is the way to go. It has the best ride , durable and the most factory or aftermarket accessories available. I would look for one that has power steering. You don't need PS , but I couldn't live without it now . I own several hundred acres . mostly wooded and HILLS . I use it for hauling wood , pulling trees etc... Zero complaints .
    I so agree, the power steering really is a luxury. We have both and things like spraying or backing a wood splitter up are so much easier with the power steering. Really shines when doing things slowly.

Top Bottom