• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So that argument sounds like you dont disagree in principle so long as you deem it respectful?His kneeling in and of itself is nothing, it's a rorschach test. His explanation on twitter later is what matters.

If he had just said 'this is something that's important to me' you would have been ok with that?
    Have you read my other post? :dunno:

I get the feeling that you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This has been explained six ways to Sunday already.

Let me give another explanation: He's not saying, "This is something important to me." Nope. He's saying, "The US must change to what I want." Read his explanation - it all about him trying to tell you what to do.

Not that we could ever know, but you don't think the kneeling is important to the person doing it? Also thanking God in a public setting is what, at least Baptists, call "witnessing," and is a testament his grace and blessings. In other words, it's a conversion method.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Have you read my other post? :dunno:

I get the feeling that you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

Yes I read your posts that sound like you're saying, in principle, any display of personal politics or beliefs on that platform is wrong.
    I understand that position.

Then I read
    'He's not saying, "This is something important to me." Nope. He's saying, "The US must change to what I want." Read his explanation - it all about him trying to tell you what to do.'

Which sounds like you aren't against it in principle, you're just against this specific display

Which is it?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't disagree, but I see it being similar to asking stand-up comedians to be funny but not offensive, or asking advertisers not to use skinny, beautiful models, or asking political candidates not to run a negative campaign.

"Do your job, but don't use that really effective tool because I find it distasteful".

No. Not because I find it distasteful. I find activism unethical and retarded. I think it is especially unethical and uncouth to use a platform intended for completely irrelevant purposes, as a platform for activism. And it’s not like asking comedians not to be offensive. He’s an athlete. Being an athlete isn’t intrinsically tied to being an activist, like comedian is tied to saying offensive things in a very narrow context. He has a right to free speech/expression. I don’t think he has a moral standing to use a platform not created by him, and not created for that purpose.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Right exactly how coercive is kneeling instead of standing at a podium? Other than it apparently really hurts peoples feelings.
    2) be an activist for something I agree with

Ain’t about hurt feelings. That’s a disingenuous claim. I don’t want him to be an activist for something I agree with. Activism seeks to change the world without regard to the majority of people who don’t want it changed. It seeks to change the world by changing laws to force one’s ideals on everyone. That’s the coercion. You want to change the world. Change minds through honest persuasion, and then the laws will follow. And if no one wants hour change, maybe you’re full of ****. That’s how free societies change the world and stay free.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Well, if I watched sports shows it might be interesting to know what the performers wanted to protest about.
    Going to the Cotton Bowl was kinda fun.

Top Bottom