• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I remember when the Pan Am games were held in Indy. Bob & Tom enlisted (then) relatively unknown comic George Lopez to hang out in the studio and do the kind of humor that would probably not go over that well these days.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Think about what you just posted, in the context of the United States, and international competitions (specifically the Olympics) and tell me if you still believe what you wrote, or would like to amend it.

If you think America is awful, you probably shouldn't want to represent it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If you're only gonna get 15 minutes, make it count.

ETA:

It sounds like he was listing all the bad things he was frustrated with - racism, mistreatment, gun control. I'm frustrated by those things, too.

Everyone gets to prioritize the problems they're most frustrated with. Racism, mistreatment, gun control aren't the biggest issues facing the nation, IMHO. If this deluded nitwit wants to waste his moment in the spotlight like that, okay.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Well, I'm a professional. That dude's an amateur. ;)

But, he did his job. He won. He earned the right to stand on that dais and do whatever with that time that he wanted.

You hire someone, they do the job successfully for you, after the job is done they can say whatever they want about you. (Slander laws notwithstanding.)

Point being, let's assume his was actually articulate and WAS expression frustration with actual gun control laws. That is, he's actually a proponent of less gun control.

Wouldn't we all welcome that kind of protest?

Denny

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I was going by memory but an f35 was the story I saw.
    Main point is kneeling at the pan am games isn't taking anything away from you, dont pretend they're somehow squandering your hard earned money.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I was going by memory but an f35 was the story I saw.
    Main point is kneeling at the pan am games isn't taking anything away from you, dont pretend they're somehow squandering your hard earned money.

Yeah, but don’t you think that’s a bit over-characterizing what he said? Whose time is it that he said was being wasted. I took it as, collectively, he’s not representing the people who sent him there. He’s airing personal grievances on their time.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, but don’t you think that’s a bit over-characterizing what he said? Whose time is it that he said was being wasted. I took it as, collectively, he’s not representing the people who sent him there. He’s airing personal grievances on their time.

So if an athlete makes the podium, that's ours, as Americans, collective time to bask in our american glory for having gotten him where he is? For having given him the opportunity to do what he did?
    No, it's a dumb sporting event, we shouldn't care one way or another. But we certainly shouldn't pretend we're somehow owed his respect or that it's taking anything away from us in raising those issues.

Itd be like an athlete pointing up to thank God for making the podium at the Olympics and people complaining this is a secular country and he shouldn't be using 'our collective time' to air personal beliefs.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Itd be like an athlete pointing up to thank God for making the podium at the Olympics and people complaining this is a secular country and he shouldn't be using 'our collective time' to air personal beliefs.
    No, no it wouldn't.

I'll argue the "index finger to God" is a thank-you for providing skills and ability to win. I.e. something directly correlating to the event.
    Another similar thing would be to protest because of a ****ty call (e.g. 2019 Canadian Grand Prix), or an overt problem (e.g. women's vs men's pay). Both of which may not be truly acceptable, but at least understandable within context.

This is a case where the athlete uses the platform to protest something that has absolutely nothing to do with himself* (looks like an upper-middle class ginger), the event (fencing: an elitist sport), or even sports in general.

Plus, it's another situation where we can't seem to set politics on the side.

Furthermore, it's the Pan Am games, meaning there's athletes that have far, far worse problems at home. It's almost a "1st world problems" level of callousness.

It's just plain uncouth. It's not about "collective time", it's about how to act in a professional and respective manner. And that means not using an award ceremony to espouse your political views.

Thank you mother, thank God, or even thank pizza for getting you there, but don't use it as a platform to tell others that the US must conform to your political ideology.

* Maybe he thinks racism applies to him because his first name is "Race". WTF names a kid "Race"?

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No, no it wouldn't.

I'll argue the "index finger to God" is a thank-you for providing skills and ability to win. I.e. something directly correlating to the event.
    Another similar thing would be to protest because of a ****ty call (e.g. 2019 Canadian Grand Prix), or an overt problem (e.g. women's vs men's pay). Both of which may not be truly acceptable, but at least understandable within context.

This is a case where the athlete uses the platform to protest something that has absolutely nothing to do with himself* (looks like an upper-middle class ginger), the event (fencing: an elitist sport), or even sports in general.

Plus, it's another situation where we can't seem to set politics on the side.

Furthermore, it's the Pan Am games, meaning there's athletes that have far, far worse problems at home. It's almost a "1st world problems" level of callousness.

It's just plain uncouth. It's not about "collective time", it's about how to act in a professional and respective manner. And that means not using an award ceremony to espouse your political views.

Thank you mother, thank God, or even thank pizza for getting you there, but don't use it as a platform to tell others that the US must conform to your political ideology.

* Maybe he thinks racism applies to him because his first name is "Race". WTF names a kid "Race"?

How should an atheist view that display? It's still the airing of one's personal beliefs, done so purposefully, and with the intent to make public spectacle. Ultimately, I don't see the difference.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    How should an atheist view that display? It's still the airing of one's personal beliefs, done so purposefully, and with the intent to make public spectacle. Ultimately, I don't see the difference.

No differently than anyone would view someone saying, "Thank my lucky stars." :dunno: I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that finds something so innocuous as that "offensive". Atheists (some, certainly not all, probably not even most) seem to be easily upset though.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

It's a person giving credit to whatever helped them succeed in this endeavor (e.g. sport). I would assume that most atheist would infer, "I would like to credit [my belief in] God..."

Again, it's directly related to the competition. It's a big stretch to go from a a solitary thanks-giving to a, "look at me and let me lecture you about politics!" stunt.

Top Bottom