At what age did you teach your kids to shoot firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    My youngest daughter, 20 years old now, asked me this question just now. Apparently, she was having a conversation with her friends, and they all learned to shoot at around 12 or 13 years of age. I thinks that's way late. She knew it too, but it was a topic of conversation.

I told her that her and her sisters all learned around age 5. I think that's the right age where they can tell you honestly if their hearing protection is working properly. She remembers shooting at that age, but she was wondering if that's normal.

I believe that early instruction in the destructive power of fireams is essential to understanding why you should refrain from using them, and why you should actively employ them when necessary. Early familiarization, I think, is key to understanding their role.

Of course, I teach safety, and basic marksmanship fundamentals, but I also teach them the morality of firearms ownership and their usage.

What age did you get your kids out to the range?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    At 4 years old I started working with my daughter on fundamentals using a Red Ryder bb gun. At the age of 5 I bought a savage rascal single single shot bolt action. She's 10 now and can shoot just about anything, but is not a big fan of recoil.

A lot depends on the individual's maturity as far as progress though.

Here's a little collage of my youngest.

20210227_222724.jpg
    20210227_223317.jpg

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I introduced them around 4 or 5, and progressed from there as their maturity level and physical ability grew. There are guns in our home...that's a fact of life...and I want them to grow up without some mystique or unsatiated curiosity that could lead them to make poor decisions. Safety and proper handling were the first things they learned, and any time they want to go shooting, I take them.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I started my children and grandchildren out with a Davy Cricket 22lr at 5. At around 8 I started them with a rough rider SA revolver. As they grew and were able to shoot larger calibers it went to 10/22 then AR-15 and 9mm usually Ruger or S&W made. My daughter was 14 and begged to shoot the 44mag. She was a tiny little lady. She fired it once and I said no more because the recoil was to great. She did hit the target at 25 yards. Now she owns a high capacity 9mm and a AR-15 in 556.

I wish the savage rascal was available then. It looks like a better training rifle.

My father started me out at 5 years of age my grandfather had my dad hunting at 4 years old. Different times back in the late 1940's.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Not there myself just yet, but my dad taught 7-year-old me after I found his loaded Llama 1911 clone on top of my parents' armoire. We were never a gun family, but he used to help me spray paint my cap guns and Nerf guns black and remove those corny orange muzzle caps. I knew I had stumbled across something I wasn't supposed to find, and after holding it and playing with it I tried to put it back in the exact same spot. He knew. As punishment, he took me out to the back yard, taught me how to unload and load a mag, chamber a round, safe handling and sighting in, and then made me shoot it into the ground. I was scared to death, but did as I was told.

Fast forward a few decades and I still joke with him that it's all his fault, that this was the watershed moment why I'm such a gun nut today. He still has that Llama.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    As soon as my kids could understand language and carry objects I told them about guns, what they did and how they worked. They are learning machines, don't underestimate them. They can understand things that are dangerous (electrical sockets) but will want to experiment if you don't enlighten them. Teach them the consequences of using them.

When I was a youngster I found and learned to disassemble and reassemble my dad's M1 Carbine that was 'hidden' from us kids before he took me hunting with a bolt action 4.10; luckily for my sisters there was no ammo around. It would probably have been better if I'd had some positive instruction prior to that.

Treat your children as little adults, they will be adults soon enough and should have that knowledge. Lack of knowledge and understanding of consequences leads to tragedy.

Teach them early.

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I like this line of questioning, lots of terrific memories!
    One of the first memories my daughter has is of her mother holding her in the garage while I was processing a deer that I had shot earlier that day. She started going with me hunting when she showed interest in being outside in inclimite whether at age four.
    By six she was asking intelligent questions about shooting and we had been discussing the hardware and the mindset of what is going on. She first shot a single action, 22lr revolver that my father had.(She learned the steps involved in making a firearm discharge). She then went to a Cricket, then we shot Smallbore Pistol for two years starting when she was twelve. About this time she showed an interest in Squirrel hunting so we upgraded her to a Ruger 10/22 Deluxe w/Leopold 4x rimfire scope. She always did very well in school so occasionally I would pull her out and we would get lunch to go and we would go to the range for Daddy/ Daughter time! We typically had the range to ourselves, we would shoot, eat lunch, talk, shoot some more, clean up then go home for dinner. Too this day she is still hard on Squirrels! We built her a gorgeous 243 Win. on a small ring Mauser that has killed one deer , but she would rather just tag along with me than shoot another. She would just rather hunt/ shoot Squirrels!

Whisk604

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2017
    Rensselaer
    I have 3 daughters. I purposely bought toy guns that had similar functions to real ones so they could learn safeties, hammers, bolt throws, etc. I introduced those around 2-3 years old. By 4 I had them shooting 22's on my range and at 5 they shot their first squirrel. I made sure that the curiosity of firearms was never there. Just ask dad and we'll go outside and use whatever they wanted. I thought I needed to have boys in order to have hunters and sportsman but my daughters have proved me very wrong.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    3 daughters as well, 2 who shoot with me. Original introduction around 3-4, progress determined by maturity. Basic awareness and safety pounded into them constantly. For a more detailed discussion visit this thread:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i took my stepson at about 10 years old out for the 1st time. started him on my dads marlin model 99 22LR. only thing he wanted to shoot was my USPSA open gun. neither daughter ever expressed much interest, especially the oldest, she's very sensitive to loud noises. took my niece to the range at 23 the 1st time. started her with my RFPO MK IV 22/45.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I bought my boys a BB gun this year. The oldest is 6, the middle is 3. I have a younger one also but he's just learning to walk...

The 6 is probably a little too young. Not in maturity but in stature/strength. He has a hard time fitting the stock and pulling the trigger. My 6 YO is really interested in hunting. Last year we went and killed one the first time. The next two times I saw one each time but wasn't quick enough. He only lasts about 30 min.

I learned around 8-10. I can't totally recall the age. But I remember going squirrel hunting with my grandpa around that age. Shot at one and missed. It haunts me to this day....I've killed a few since though.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Age 26 for my stepson. Living in Chicago, he was trending in the direction of being an anti-gun millennial. After two hours of drilling the centers out of targets with a CZ 457 and meeting some nice people at the range, he walked away from the experience with a more open mind.

Top Bottom