• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So I decided to go to the range. I took my Ruger Precision rifle 308.
    I got there and a guy had an AK 47 Russian made from parts kit.
    I got 3 well aimed shots off and I noticed this guy 3 bays down mag dump 3 mags and was working on a 4th. I was thinking what a waste of ammo.... but it isn't mine so went back to shooting my rifle.
    About 5 mins later this guy has his AK field stripped ramming a cleaning rod into it. He finally comes over ask me if I knew anything about AK47 I said a little.
    So I walk over he said he got halfway through his 4th mag dump and it jammed so he thought it was dirty. He was going to clean it. I observed him take a patch and ram it hard into the gas tube. I yelled hold it, I said you do know that is the gas tube and not the barrel right? He said he thought it was the barrel. I took a flashlight looked inside it was packed with cleaning patches and you could see where he was scratching up the inside of the gas tube. He tried my needle nose pliers to get it out no joy. So we broke it on down and ran a rod the opposite direction finally got the patches out. He had some 3 Bulgarian mags and some cheap polymer mag. The polymer mag was when he had the feeding problem. I told him to just use the Bulgarian mags see if it worked without the feeding issue. It did. I went back to try and shoot my rifle some more.

About 15 mins later he came to me, and ask me if his grip was broken. He had what looked like a new Hogue grip on it. It was fine when I was over there earlier. Somehow he slammed the rifle down it hit the grip and he broke it inside and it was wobbly. I said you will need to buy a new grip because the plastic inside is all broken up.

I know an AK47 can take a lot of abuse but this guy literally was finding ways to make it not run. So I gave him some pointers, then ask why he was doing mag dumps. He said just in case the rioters attacked his home he could defend it. I told him the way he was shootin he would probably miss just about everything he was firing at. I pointed out he had around 10 hits on his target out of around 200rds fired. I said slow down aim each shot and fire.
    Hopefully he tries that next time if his AK47 makes it to the range without him totally destroying it.

Stupid is as stupid does.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Good on you for helping him out.

Lots of new shooters in the community, and dare I say - some are kinda dangerous. I tend to stay away. But if can help a person without getting hurt, I'd try.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Maybe stupid ... maybe just uneducated. There are a LOT of new gun owners who aren't stupid, just uneducated.

We, as the experienced gun owners, need to be patient and try to safely educate them in proper gun handling and operation ... just like you did teaching your children.

Sounds like you made an attempt at education, so good on you.

However, if the person does not learn and continues to abuse their firearm and act in an unsafe manner ... well, then maybe we are talking stupid. In which case, we need to keep ourselves safe and steer clear.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    It's good that you helped him before he destroyed his AK or injured himself. I think you should reward yourself with a new gun.

I try to help new gun owners when it looks like they are struggling. Too many are buying guns and heading off to the range without any knowledge of what they just purchased. Good for them for trying but, some are badly out of their element.

A few weeks ago, I watched a guy struggle to find the paper at 200 yards with an AR-15. After a few moments of conversation, I was able to deduce that he had simply mounted the scope and headed straight to the 200 yard line. He wasted all of his ammo, only put one hole in the target by luck and still didn't have it on the paper. I explained how he could take it to the 50 yd line, get on paper and then dial it in at longer ranges. The look on his face didn't give me much confidence that he was going to succeed at that either.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I routinely advise new members to sight in their optic at 25-50 yds before shooting on the rifle range. It saves them from the embarrassing themselves when they come over and I outshoot them with my offhand single shot handgun.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    So I gave him some pointers, then ask why he was doing mag dumps. He said just in case the rioters attacked his home he could defend it. I told him the way he was shootin he would probably miss just about everything he was firing at. I pointed out he had around 10 hits on his target out of around 200rds fired. I said slow down aim each shot and fire.
    Hopefully he tries that next time if his AK47 makes it to the range without him totally destroying it.

Stupid is as stupid does.
    LOL , I see the "combat boys" are still out there despite ammo being very hard to come by. It amazes me how one can waste so much ammo on **** poor shooting. I seen it nearly every weekend before the ammo became scarce. Following your advice is the best thing anyone could do if they are interested in hitting what they are "aiming" at.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Common practice for new pistol shooters too. I've seen many new owners with pocket rocket pistols (Shields.43's,365's, etc.) shooting them at the 25 yard line for the first time and rapid firing as well. Most appreciate a quick lesson or two and get them on track.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I will help anyone who asks for it, but never offer it first. Too many guys out there who think they can drive, fight, fornicate, and shoot better than everyone else. I’ll stay in my lane unless asked.
    Agree. The “ask” usually happens when I walk to check targets with the “other” shooter and he looks at his target and then at mine. That is frequently the ice breaker.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I will help anyone who asks for it, but never offer it first. Too many guys out there who think they can drive, fight, fornicate, and shoot better than everyone else. I’ll stay in my lane unless asked.
    This is good advice. I'm not anti-social, but rarely initiate conversations at the range. I am very hesitant to offer unsolicited advice.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Went to Henryville public range Saturday, some goobers (the best description i can say) pulled out their stimulus guns and ammo, and proceeded to step out in front of the shooting table (out in front of every gun there) I asked them to step back so they're not out that far...I was called a range nazi.....I'm sure they enjoyed the muzzle blast from my .50 cal black powder gun, and the SKS I was shooting....they did move back.....

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Went to Henryville public range Saturday, some goobers (the best description i can say) pulled out their stimulus guns and ammo, and proceeded to step out in front of the shooting table (out in front of every gun there) I asked them to step back so they're not out that far...I was called a range nazi.....I'm sure they enjoyed the muzzle blast from my .50 cal black powder gun, and the SKS I was shooting....they did move back.....
    Muzzle brakes have a similar effect on every one beside you. Some I've seen move down a lane or two, some go to a different part of the range until you leave and some sit there and take it. Sometimes everyone beside you have brakes so everyone has a blast literally :):

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Neckbeards at the Clark State Forest range doing breathtakingly stupid and unsafe things led me to buy land.
    There are certain things that you need to practice that isn't allowed at ranges, and with some people yes it would be totally unsafe. Also on your own land you can set up multiple targets at different spots and safely shot at them where that's impossible to do at a public range.

As an example....
    Not many ranges allow you to draw from your holster and fire which is something everyone needs to practice.

Top Bottom