• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So my Son and I are at it fencing and doing repairs. When my Son lets me know that he hears what he thinks is a full auto, too noisy to be a suppressed 22lr. So we do a little looking and see a Kid shooting at milk jugs. No back stop and aiming right across our pasture. So the kid has permission to be there.

But here is my question I do not know a thing about them and honestly for Children I think they can develop bad habits ie ignoring safety rules, no I am not referring to that every gun as if it’s loaded. I mean know your target and what is beyond. So I am keeping an eye on the milk jugs they are not moving. So I think I can infer he is missing every shot. So clearly they are now unattended projectiles. How far will they potentially go? And at what distance do they just become a nuisance versus a hazard?

Thank You

wcd

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2011
    Is it a 22lr or an air gun?
    Not sure my son said it he thought it was too quiet to be a 22 lr. If that is the case it is not going to be pretty.

I may take A walk later on and see if there are casings on the ground. As far as I know it would be highly unlikely for there to be a full auto 22 LR in their hands.

rosejm

Master
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Too loud for suppressed 22, but not loud enough to be unsuppressed 22?

First guess is going to be an Airsoft item based on age & full auto.
    6mm plastic pellets are going to sting and could be a hazard to the eyes but are unlikely to cause serious injury.

Maybe help him create a cardboard box "bullet trap" and some targets to encourage safe, responsible, and ethical marksmanship.

Last edited:

edwea

Expert
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Could have been airsoft. We have one that is full auto. It makes some noise, but not a lot. Also, not necessarily strong enough to knock a mill jug over. Definitely fun though.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2011
    Too loud for suppressed 22, but not loud enough to be unsuppressed 22?

First guess is going to be an Airsoft item based on age & full auto.
    6mm plastic pellets are going to sting and could be a hazard to the eyes but are unlikely to cause serious injury.
    So they We’re right by the fence line maybe 25 feet. So this could be an issue with the Gang?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If it's airsoft, I wouldn't be too concerned. I've been shot at point blank and it barely broke skin.

N9Zero

Plinker
    Aug 17, 2022
    Cass County
    I concur with the general consensus and I think it has to be an airsoft gun, but I also agree about checking just for assurance.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Handled well, this could be a good learning opportunity for the kid....Could get him on a good path for enjoying shooting for years to come.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm assuming ingestion by animals? They're plastic, so I don't think it's an issue (could be wrong), but if it's still a concern, you might want to ask them to use a biodegradable bb.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2011
    I'm assuming ingestion by animals? They're plastic, so I don't think it's an issue (could be wrong), but if it's still a concern, you might want to ask them to use a biodegradable bb.
    Not to be a jerk, but I don’t like variables. We are very bio security sensitive.

Would really prefer not to have to deal with it.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2011
    Hey, it's your land, your rules. No complaints from me. I was just throwing out options.
    No worries, I get to be a bit kurt sometimes. I work extremely hard to keep things up and running. contrary to some beliefs raising Goats is a delicate balance, so I tend to try to have as controlled environment as possible.

Top Bottom