• ...and so much more!
  • Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Forgive my ignorance.

I was reading on the DNR website about asian carp and have heard they are pretty good eating.

I was wondering a few things and hoped to get some answers here:

1. Where can I find them? I've heard White River, Wabash, and Mississinewa below the dam. Anyone confirm?

2. What bait are people using? Spoons? Dough? Corn?

3. I've heard the y bones are tricky. Any truth? Any tips or tricks to removing them?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

My crew from the firehouse and I are going to make a day of it hopefully this week while the weather is "decent."

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    From what I've seen, you get a jet propelled flat-bottomed boat. Everybody on board wears full face helmet and maybe a solid chest guard. You fly either up or down stream with large landing nets and snatch them as they fly up in the air. Some just naturally land in the boat. I've seen guys make a sport out of doing the same thing with a fishing bow set up and whack them in the air. I can't remember, but there has to be good footage of both techniques on YouTube.

I think portions of the Wabash are polluted with them. I am pretty sure people have come up with good way to cook them by now. Some fisheries have had contests to find a good use for them. Maybe fertilizer and cat food?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We used to bow hunt them. Fun. Early years we threw them either on the bank or in the water to provide other wildlife food.

I wouldn't eat one. They are bottom feeders and are muddy inside. I knew a guy who caught one, kept it alive in a barrel and kept changing the water out until it stayed clear. Then he smoked it.

I love to eradicate them, but I won't be eating any. I'll stick to eating Bass, Crappie and Walleye. :)

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Put it at Fairbanks Park in Terre Haute, then go up and down the river. You'll find them, or they'll find you ;)

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    We used to bow hunt them. Fun. Early years we threw them either on the bank or in the water to provide other wildlife food.

I wouldn't eat one. They are bottom feeders and are muddy inside. I knew a guy who caught one, kept it alive in a barrel and kept changing the water out until it stayed clear. Then he smoked it.

I love to eradicate them, but I won't be eating any. I'll stick to eating Bass, Crappie and Walleye. :)
    There are several sub-species of "Asian carp" but most of them are not bottom feeders and several feed on plankton be filtering it through their gills. Not a muddy fish but a boney fish.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There are several sub-species of "Asian carp" but most of them are not bottom feeders and several feed on plankton be filtering it through their gills. Not a muddy fish but a boney fish.
    Oops! My bad. Maybe it was a sucker the guy had in the barrel.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Duck dynasty had an episode where they served Asian carp in their restaurant and asked people how it was. They seemed to like it.

Me? I’ll pass. I’ll eat about any fish once, but carp isn’t my thing...

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Oops! My bad. Maybe it was a sucker the guy had in the barrel.
    The common carp are bottom feeders and while I don't know anyone that has done a purge in a barrel like you stated I have heard of the barrel purge before especially with turtles.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Forgive my ignorance.

I was reading on the DNR website about asian carp and have heard they are pretty good eating.

I was wondering a few things and hoped to get some answers here:

1. Where can I find them? I've heard White River, Wabash, and Mississinewa below the dam. Anyone confirm?

2. What bait are people using? Spoons? Dough? Corn?

3. I've heard the y bones are tricky. Any truth? Any tips or tricks to removing them?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

My crew from the firehouse and I are going to make a day of it hopefully this week while the weather is "decent."
    As far as catching them, you about need a net or you can try snagging them with a large weighted treble hook. As filter feeders they don't go for bait like the fish you're used to.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Since they are here we might as well get some use out of them. Fertilizer, yes; cat food, yes; people food, hell yes, carp is good fixed properly. Would be fairly easy to catch large amounts of them. Rig a boat with a large net extending out ether side and over the front then just drive down the river. Fish would jump out of the water and right into the net.
    For anybody interested, the best way to fix them is to skin and fillet them then pressure can them with a little vinegar in the jar. The combo of pressure and vinegar causes the bones to soften or dissolve, you'd never know they were there when you eat the fish. Fairly mild taste, somewhat similar to salmon.

Top Bottom