• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I live a few miles south of Seymour and have been hearing some distant rumbles that sound like intermittent rolling thunder from the N-NW of me. That would roughly be in the direction of Atterbury. I don't have a properly scaled map on me, but would estimate its about 35 miles from me at a 345 bearing, and that's about the direction that the sound seemed to originate.

My neighbor and I figured that's the only likely explanation that doesn't involve us taking out our tinfoil hats.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's due north of The Great Southern Forest and the low frequency noise is rattling the steel pole barn's doors.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I live a few miles south of Seymour and have been hearing some distant rumbles that sound like intermittent rolling thunder from the E-NE of me. That would roughly be in the direction of Atterbury. I don't have a properly scaled map on me, but would estimate its about 20 miles from me at a 345 bearing, and that's about the direction that the sound seemed to originate.

My neighbor and I figured that's the only likely explanation that doesn't involve us taking out our tinfoil hats.

It is A T time, probably our Artillery, or someone visiting .......

Army, Marines, all train down there .....

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    It is A T time, probably our Artillery, or someone visiting .......

Army, Marines, all train down there .....

Great, its the sound of Freedom them!!

BTW, I corrected my OP. A 345 bearing is not E-NE. Not sure what the heck I was smoking when I typed that. E-NE would be towards Hope from where I am.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    :patriot:

when those triple sevens start talking, everyone listens. Indiana has a number of Field Artillery units. Could be one of them, or maybe another outfit.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Great, its the sound of Freedom them!!

QFT.

I was on Atterbury KD6 last Sunday with a few of my like minded friends. The Terre Haute Warthogs were circling & diving south of us and checking out their 20mm Miniguns. It's a sound like no other!

Looked like this:[video=youtube;NvIJvPj_pjE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvIJvPj_pjE[/video]

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Did you guys see that fire on the range about five years ago? The view of sun setting from my property NE of atterbury made it look like the sun was catching the earth on fire as it set.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    QFT.

I was on Atterbury KD6 last Sunday with a few of my like minded friends. The Terre Haute Warthogs were circling & diving south of us and checking out their 20mm Miniguns. It's a sound like no other!

Looked like this:[video=youtube;NvIJvPj_pjE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvIJvPj_pjE[/video]

That is bad ass! I wish I were closer to enjoy it.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    QFT.

I was there last weekend as well. Spent Sunday on main post.

Those are 30mm, by the way.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    QFT.

They've been real active down here around the proving grounds lately, A10's have a distinctive engine whine like no other! They like to make strrafing runs along the tree tops on my ridge, wowza!

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Its at season. If youre on facebook like atterburys page they usually give a heads up. When i first started going to atterbury the guns kept me up all night, now i sleep like a baby through all of it. I was in the IMA dfac a few months ago eating breakfast and all the sudden my tray started shaking from artillery fire....pretty cool stuff.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I remember in grade school one time we heard some rumbles and occasionally the windows would slightly shake. Found out it was Atterbury. Don't ever remember it happening again.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I camped on the range one year in between days of a 2 day Appleseed and the sleeping environment was pretty awesome! FA 50's running, small arms, fairly sig. explosions....went on for hours. I've been on property 4-6 times for 2 day shoots but the activity that time was much more. During the day they did low flying plane runs, dropped paratroopers several times. IIRC we had to call cease fire at least once because a plane fly by was close enough to possibly be in range.
    I never served in the military so camping with all those sounds of freedom in the background was a very nice experience.

Top Bottom