• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I don't know if this has been posted, if so, mods please remove. Is anyone else here channeling their inner space geek with the soon to launch Artemis mission? I was a kid during the Apollo missions, and was just amazed with us going to the moon. This upcoming mission doesn't seem to be getting near the attention....I guess "we've been there"......... We're going back to the moon people! it's been 50, count them 50 years since we last went, much less stepped foot on it....this is cool!!! Can I get a "heck yeah"!!!! ??

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Yep, I am following this with interest although I thought we would be going back with something a little more interesting than an Apollo Command Module Mk 2.

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Yep, I am following this with interest although I thought we would be going back with something a little more interesting than an Apollo Command Module Mk 2.
    Orion, is like the original CM on steroids, 6 crew members v 3 for Apollo, Max Faget, is like the JMB of spacecraft....if it works, keep using it...Look at the Russkies, and their rockets..Korolev's design is still being used........ "is rocket...it works comrade"

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Orion, is like the original CM on steroids, 6 crew members v 3 for Apollo, Max Faget, is like the JMB of spacecraft....if it works, keep using it...Look at the Russkies, and their rockets..Korolev's design is still being used........ "is rocket...it works comrade"

I understand all of that and with everything smaller (electronics, etc.) there is more room inside. Yes I am very happy with this but geez, it's been 50 years! I was hoping for something a little more NX-01'ish! LOL.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Liftoff still scheduled for 8:33AM EDT.

I am looking forward to returning to the moon. My father was on the team that designed the portable life support system (PLSS) that was worn by the moon walkers. He designed the device that measure the oxygen being used and relayed the info back to engineers back on earth to determine the length of outside of Lunar Module stay. He also played a part in something on the Lunar Lander but never talked about that. It is only a couple of citations from Grumman that I found out about his work on the LEM as it was called at the time. He did not work for Grumman directly.

GO NASA!!!

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Liftoff still scheduled for 8:33AM EDT.

I am looking forward to returning to the moon. My father was on the team that designed the portable life support system (PLSS) that was worn by the moon walkers. He designed the device that measure the oxygen being used and relayed the info back to engineers back on earth to determine the length of outside of Lunar Module stay. He also played a part in something on the Lunar Lander but never talked about that. It is only a couple of citations from Grumman that I found out about his work on the LEM as it was called at the time. He did not work for Grumman directly.

GO NASA!!!
    That is really cool!

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I am following, but really I find it a little sad. The US space program has basically been reduced to using hand me down and recycled components and design in it's"new moon rocket".

While in Texas Space X is building the Starship, taking chances and making progress on someone intended to take humans to the Mars.

I grew up on Apollo and have held NASA in high esteem, but after Challenger and then Columbia I just can't give them a pass.

Read the Feynman appendix to the Challenger report. Normalization of deviance, totalitarian management, and an utter lack of engineering discipline.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    so, are we landing on the moon for real this time?

In all seriousness. I didn't not know this was a thing, but Iam excited to catch up and keep up with this mission.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    What about the carbon footprint this program will make? Think of the children!

Oh wait.....such things are only for the proles.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I am excited about it. In fact, it is on my bucket list to watch the launch live when they are going to actually land humans on the moon. I was too young during Apollo to do it on my own and my parents didn't take me. I feel grateful to get another chance in my lifetime!

I think it is cool that they are recycling the solid boosters and engines from the shuttle, there is no need to reinvent the wheel on that end. The capsule only resembles Apollo because it is what actually makes sense from an aerodynamic and engineering standpoint. The whole Space Shuttle program was what never made any sense. There was never a need to penalize a space vehicle with all of the extra weight and other problems associated with landing like an airplane.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I am excited about it. In fact, it is on my bucket list to watch the launch live when they are going to actually land humans on the moon. I was too young during Apollo to do it on my own and my parents didn't take me. I feel grateful to get another chance in my lifetime!

I think it is cool that they are recycling the solid boosters and engines from the shuttle, there is no need to reinvent the wheel on that end. The capsule only resembles Apollo because it is what actually makes sense from an aerodynamic and engineering standpoint. The whole Space Shuttle program was what never made any sense. There was never a need to penalize a space vehicle with all of the extra weight and other problems associated with landing like an airplane.
    I think it was just a matter of being too far ahead of it's time.
    For humanity to start going out in the universe, we'd need to transition to something more like the shuttle.
    But...

The Germans in WWII realized the advantages of a "Flying Wing".
    People today still speculate about.. what if the Germans perfected it.

No.
    They could not have perfected it.
    It's idea was too far ahead of the technology necessary to make it work. There was no way the Germans would have been able to bridge that gap.

Just like the shuttle.
    Maybe in a hundred years, it will be commonplace.
    maybe

Top Bottom