• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjfan29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    Boone County
    That's one of the reasons I try not to participate in these threads from really low post counters. I jumped in this time because I had actionable intel from literally last week on exactly this subject.

I'm guessing that saying a cheap AR, ammo, mags, and a this n' that is going to set you back 2 grand wasn't well received either. Frankly, I wasn't prepared for that either until after it happened. Oh well. In the safe now.

I appreciate the intel!!! Budget and needs have been completely upended with the loss in our family. Will try to post more when I can.

Thank you again to everyone who’s commented! Stay safe out there and appreciate your loved ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjfan29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    Boone County
    I paid $741 for my M&P Sport II through RKGuns about 2 weeks ago, including sales tax and shipping. RK had them available on their page for days on end and have come and gone a couple of times since then. So, for future reference once that link evaporates, that makes GB probably $50-$75 more after shipping and transfer. Not horrible.

There's plenty out there if you're willing to pay for it. I paid $0.67/rd (taxed and shipped) for M193 a week ago. Since then, it appears prices have gone up considerably, but it's still out there.

If you're getting the picture that I found myself in the OP's position of needing to enter the AR game at exactly the wrong time, you've got it about right. Said and done, with a rifle I feel is of useful quality, 800 rounds of quality ammunition, 15 pmags, and a couple of accessories yet to be ordered (more durable sights, a good sling, etc) I'm in it near enough to 2 grand to not worry about the difference.

So... Having just spent double OP's $800-900 budget on my very modest setup... Doing it at that budget in the next 2 weeks, especially now that the senate has been lost so now all of congress and the presidency is anti-2A, seems like a tough mountain to climb.

Again, with recent events and if Sniffin Joe gets in sooner, my timetable will off more than that poor bastard’s chart in Hunt for Red October, when Marko starts missing the marks while going through Neptune’s Pass.

pjfan29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    Boone County

You mean I should care about the other people on the range? Just thought they were there to clean up my brass and ask me if they can shoot all my Gucci **** only for me to tell them and the rest of the poors, “No!” while I run another mag dump to see how hot she gets.

pjfan29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    Boone County
    The one I made him was a Frankin15. It was a bunch of quality parts I bought on sale over a years time. It runs fine just as good as my Grendel and 556. He now has a red dot and 3x magnifier on it. That picture is the way I gave it to him.

That is a fine lookin Freedom Seed Spreader!

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    So what if the mission is plinking/home defense/maybe getting into three gun? That to me feels like the trifecta of all three different missions?

My answer? Buy a sturdy pump action 12ga shotgun and you've covered those bases pretty well.

A decent gun, enough target loads to get you going, and a touch of this and that with HD in mind would just top out your $800. Shotgun prices haven't gone insane, yet.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Ironically, my 300BO does not like subs. It keyholes with the 1:8 twist. Running supers in it unsuppressed is a lot of fun but it does not make you many friends in shooters in adjoining stalls at an indoor range
    There’s a reason you see many 300 PDWs sporting crazy fast twist like 1:5

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Look on gunbroker. they're insane.

There's still stuff out there. I'm not all that educated on the various models, but this Winchester for $350 doesn't seem too bad.

RK has an RIA for like $200, but, I really don't know anything about their shotties.

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    First post! New owner (Legion XFive) and now I’m looking at an AR. So many questions? While the idea of a sub 300 BLK seems dope AF, the potential of a double stamp and lack of ammo makes it look less than ideal.

So I’m looking at your standard 556/223. Ideally, I’d like to make this happen before 46 and I don’t know if I can get more than $8-900 before inauguration. My local shop has a PSA. My thought is to get into the platform and then go through and upgrade. (B5 grip/stock, Radian ch/switch, trigger, etc).

Question... is there a better option out there for the sub $1K market.

Finally, with an AR pistol vs rifle, anything short of 16” is an SBR. Unless you got a combined length at 16” (pin & welded). Any gunsmith y’all recommend out there?

thanks!!!!
    Why double stamp?
    My 300 BO does sub 1" at 50yrds when I do my part.
    BTW, I shoot subs exclusively without suppressor.
    I built my first AR using the videos from Brownells. Great learning aid.

pjfan29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    Boone County
    Why double stamp?
    My 300 BO does sub 1" at 50yrds when I do my part.
    BTW, I shoot subs exclusively without suppressor.
    I built my first AR using the videos from Brownells. Great learning aid.

I just watched one of their vids on swapping out a hand guard.

Top Bottom