INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Military always had problems.
    Just now though.. :xmad:
    They come up with a incredibly flawed system, entice participation from underpaid military, then come back and say:
    "You are guilty for participating. Sucks to be you."
    I'm shocked there aren't more dead men walking in charge.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    MSN link

"Army leadership told Congress in 2014 that Task Force Raptor might uncover as much as $100 million in fraud. Three years later, the Army revised that estimate to $6 million, after spending around $28 million on the investigation."

I think I found the actual fraud.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "Army leadership told Congress in 2014 that Task Force Raptor might uncover as much as $100 million in fraud. Three years later, the Army revised that estimate to $6 million, after spending around $28 million on the investigation."

Well, that and claiming people were arrested, that never were.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    **** the feds and the goverment and the entire DOD.

Wonder why retention and recruitment is so low. Loved having them take random amounts of money from my checks as “debt repayment” when I was in and now I gotta worry about them branding me a criminal and pursuing more money from me now that I’m out.

matbmorr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2021
    Charlestown

That, plus the fact that now, they are being paid to investigate the original investigation. I wonder how that one will turn out....

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Route45 - I am not picking on you here. HE brought this up as a criticism and you just made it easy for me to quote. HE is making a logic error.

I read this and the analysis is severely flawed.

We cannot know what we're going to find in any type of investigation until we DIG, and DIGGING costs money!

Same thing with a lawsuit, on EITHER side. How many thousands of cases go to trial only to lose? If only the losers could know ahead of time what the outcome would be they could save all those legal fees and investigations. Even the winner might spend more money than they actually win.

IF only we knew the outcome of every medical procedure before it was done. Why waste hundreds of thousands of dollars on a surgery only to have the patient die? What fraudsters these doctors are. Better yet, spend $300k on a triple bypass for grandma, have her live, send her home two (2) weeks later, only to die tripping on one (1) of her twelve (12) cats. Total waste of money for two (2) weeks.

Consider the timeline for a moment:

Jan) The Army determines there may(?) have been fraud;
    Feb) A brief analysis determines the fraud may(?) be up to $100 million;
    Mar) The Army performs an investigation costing $28 million;
    Apr) The investigation determines there was only $6 million in fraud;
    May) Criticism from the armchair warrior begins.

The REAL determination of whether there was waste in the Army's investigation wouldn't be in the cost itself, but rather what they got for that cost? Could they have been more efficient? Could they have combined personnel? Could they have used better methodology?

By the way, we do this all the time in the real world. Say someone comes outside and finds their car side mirror broken. They call the police. Thus begins a chain of several people. First the 911 dispatcher takes your call. Pay them, and their overhead. Next a LEO drives from wherever to the broken mirror. Gas, wear and tear on the vehicle. Salary for the LE person. They take time to do a little report for the victim. When LE leaves they somehow file the report. If electronic some IT person sees it's filed or saved properly. Pay them. The victim calls the insurance company or agent. Now a claims adjuster and their staff does their thing. Finally the $100 dollar mirror is replaced, costing the combined system of LE and insurance company $1,200 to get it done.

If only more people called the Psychic hotline to learn what was going to happen before doing something...

Regards,

Doug

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    By the way, we do this all the time in the real world. Say someone comes outside and finds their car side mirror broken. They call the police. Thus begins a chain of several people. First the 911 dispatcher takes your call. Pay them, and their overhead. Next a LEO drives from wherever to the broken mirror. Gas, wear and tear on the vehicle. Salary for the LE person. They take time to do a little report for the victim. When LE leaves they somehow file the report. If electronic some IT person sees it's filed or saved properly. Pay them. The victim calls the insurance company or agent. Now a claims adjuster and their staff does their thing. Finally the $100 dollar mirror is replaced, costing the combined system of LE and insurance company $1,200 to get it done.
    Adding up all of the expenses of the several people, equipment, maintenance and consumables involved in the investigation of a broken car mirror is, in itself, a fraudulent assessment. All of this doesn't exist simply to respond to one broken car mirror.

So perhaps the story is full of **** on the amount spent on the investigation, but I have no knowledge on whether they just added up everyone's salaries and benefits to get to the $28 million figure, or if they actually exceeded normal costs of day to day operations to the tune of $28 million.

Regardless, your comparison with winning or losing money in lawsuits is irrelevant. So is the surgery comparison. This is a matter of typical government incompetence costing the taxpayers millions, with the only result being Americans who served their country being branded with fraudulent criminal records.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Adding up all of the expenses of the several people, equipment, maintenance and consumables involved in the investigation of a broken car mirror is, in itself, a fraudulent assessment. All of this doesn't exist simply to respond to one broken car mirror.

So perhaps the story is full of **** on the amount spent on the investigation, but I have no knowledge on whether they just added up everyone's salaries and benefits to get to the $28 million figure, or if they actually exceeded normal costs of day to day operations to the tune of $28 million.

Regardless, your comparison with winning or losing money in lawsuits is irrelevant. So is the surgery comparison. This is a matter of typical government incompetence costing the taxpayers millions, with the only result being Americans who served their country being branded with fraudulent criminal records.

This is not a "...typical government incompetence..." thing. This is the reality of either investigating a problem by anyone, or solving a problem, by anyone. The investigation and possible solution costs time and resources that may be better spent elsewhere. We almost never know what the cost will be until the investigation/solution is done.

This is not solely limited to the government. This is life. This is not knowing what we're going find until we look, and looking costs money in some way or another.

And the broken mirror is not a fraudulent assessment. In many cases an insurance company won't pay a claim unless there is a police report, so LE time and energy is spent on this instead of something else. This takes multiple resources to fix a stupid mirror, or anything.

Regards,

Doug

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom