Armed Robbery gone south....... of the border.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    [URL="http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/newsletter/dp-local_sufrobbery_0624jun24,0,1861835.story"]After gun fails, an instant posse helps police nab suspect -- dailypress.com[/url]

After gun fails, an instant posse helps police nab suspect
    A restaurant manager and her customers chase the man who fled with a Taco Bell bag of cash.

By VERONICA GORLEY CHUFO | 247-4741
    June 24, 2008

SUFFOLK -

Former Taco Bell employee Deon Gatling, 19, of Sunbury, N.C., was charged with one count each of armed robbery and attempted malicious wounding and two counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. He was being held Monday at the Western Tidewater Regional Jail in Suffolk, said Suffolk Police Lt. Debbie George said.

Police said Gatling had a gun and demanded money from a Taco Bell manager on Sunday. She handed it over, but Gatling pulled the trigger.

The gun didn't fire, police said, but it provoked the manager to chase the robber in her vehicle while calling police on her cell phone.

Up to a dozen business owners, store employees and others followed, chasing Gatling into the woods behind the Farm Fresh plaza, where the restaurant is located, on North Main Street, just north of downtown Suffolk.

Police found him 45 minutes later when someone spotted him trying to escape the woods. A Taco Bell bag with him was full of money, police said, and a loaded gun was found in the restaurant's parking lot.

Capt. Stephanie Burch, who heads the criminal investigations section, said she was pleased with residents' willingness to get involved — police probably wouldn't have nabbed the suspect without their help.

But she recommends caution.

"This situation could have been very dangerous," Burch said. "This particular suspect was reported to have a firearm, and we would never want to have our citizens injured trying to assist us. Our citizens can always be helpful by being great witnesses, without putting themselves in harm's way."

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    ""This particular suspect was reported to have a firearm, and we would never want to have our citizens injured trying to assist us. Our citizens can always be helpful by being great witnesses, without putting themselves in harm's way."

I can promise you that I'm not putting myself in harm's way to save Taco Bell some money. I protect myself and my family first, innocent bystanders second. Taco Bell's bag of cash is so far down the list that it doesn't even show up.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    So, Besides Scutter01, what do you think you would have done had you been in the Taco Bell that day?

Me personally? I would like to think I'd have the courage to shoot the person, provided I had a clear shot, before he had time to correct the malfunction he had with his pistol. He's already shown his intent, as evidenced by the pulling of the trigger. He has opportunity, he's already robbing the store. And he has the ability, there's a pistol in his hand....

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Me personally? I would like to think I'd have the courage to shoot the person, provided I had a clear shot, before he had time to correct the malfunction he had with his pistol. He's already shown his intent, as evidenced by the pulling of the trigger. He has opportunity, he's already robbing the store. And he has the ability, there's a pistol in his hand....

:+1:

I'm just not going out on a limb to try to save the money.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Renegade762
    Top Bottom