Are Olights really total crap? Light/laser pistol combo.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have an Olight flashlight that I carry/use in work. It has been dropped, immersed, left on ultra high and regularly tossed in a carry bag for 4-5 years. Continues to work perfectly.

This may come as a shock to some but the internet can sometimes - let's just say - not give proper context to a product or company.

Now to get my Olight wearing P320 in a Serpa holster and head out for the day....

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I got one to use for a no/low light match. I mounted it on the end of an AK. Didn't notice any issues, but I've only had it on for maybe 5 minutes total.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Ive used Surefire exclusively for 20 years, so I am obviously a bit biased.

Among my professional circle, its Surefire or Stream light. I am sure there are some MOD/Cloud outliers, but I don't know anyone who uses Olight in a professional context.

We were "gifted" a dozen or so, and they were snatched up quick, but I believe they ended up as spares in door panels and equipment bags. I had plenty lights already so didn't take one.

KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    Olights are not crap. That being said; personally, I find absolutely no need for a laser for a pistol.
    All that being said: I have several Olight mini’s and find them light years ahead of other lights in the same size. The quick release alone makes them great, in my opinion.

Can I ask a question about your selection though?
    Why did you pick what you picked?
    I originally got it because I wanted to see exactly how the concept worked for me. I had never tried this type of combo before and wanted to give it a shot. Plus I had a gift Visa and it was on sale so why not. This is my garage/shop gun, not my EDC. I haven't had a chance to work it out yet but I can really pick up that laser dot even with the flashligh on at ranges it would be utilized. My eyes aren't the best anymore and one more sighting option doesn't seem to hurt. I currently have it set up to basically "co-witness with my irons at "down the hall" distance. I have a Streamlight on my nightstand gun. No laser on that one.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is my favorite new hotness. Love it. And if I run out of juice, I can cram 2 CR123s in it and carry on.
    Orange makes it easy to find in my tool bag.

EDIT: to be honest, there is one flaw. the rubber strap is a teensy bit too long to properly secure the light in the headlamp mount. I called customer service and they happily sent me two more free of charge. Unfortunately they sent full size not mini mounts. :facepalm:

I just happened to have some adhesive neoprene weatherstrip/gasket strips and stuck those to the mount and it tightened it right up.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Remember something with that aiming scenario: at a distance any greater than that, an upper torso shot may just miss. Because of bore/sight height difference, that angle is going to be really steep.
    I like to sight my 9mm handguns in at 15yds.
    Screenshot_20230510-082210_Federal.jpg
    As you can see from point blank range to 50yds you can hold it right on your target without having to adjust for bullet drop.
    Out to 80yds it's going to be self defense accurate with around a 4" drop.
    Even 100yds it's not to bad for a torso shot with just under 8" drop.
    Has anyone actually engaged a bad guy at 80yds, and 100yds with their 4" EDC. I would think that would be extremely rare.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    anyone actually engaged a bad guy at 80yds, and 100yds with their 4" EDC. I would think that would be extremely rare.
    My point is and was, mechanical offset is a thing and most folks don’t even consider it. I don’t want to have to shoot a bad guy at 10’ but if I need to there or at 100 yards, I want my bullet in the bad guy.
    Eli Dickens missed twice at 40 yards. I don’t want to do that just because I’m ignorant of my mechanical offset. Same offset applies to MRDS too. ;)

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I have four total WML Olights, currently and one of them is getting sent to Olight for warranty work as it turns off when shooting.

I have two Streamlights and neither have had issues.

Out of four handheld Olight flashlights, two of them have crappy rechargeable Olight batteries.

I would agree that it’s harder to find holster makers for the Olights

I personally don’t mind them but I also know it’s an electronic and could fail

Top Bottom