Are Olights really total crap? Light/laser pistol combo.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    So I bought a Baldr S light/laser combo for my garage/workbench pistol. It was on special and I knew it wouldn't be used much in the role I am utilizing it for. I know there is a lot of hate for Olight out there and I know it's Chinese stuff but man I really like the way this performs. My eyes aren't the best and the laser and light are really bright and make target acqusition really fast. Additionally it is really compact. I would like to use something like this for a nightstand gun but not sure I trust the brand. Anything comparable out there from another manufacturer or is the Olight GTG?

KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    Congratulations on your purchase of a Chinese delayed ignition anti personal device

Signed the SureFire gang

OK. Go easy on me. I really didn't do my research before the purchase. Shame on me. But isn't a SureFire equivalent around $700? I know you get what you pay for but I ain't an operator. Seems like there would be a mid-tier option. I just haven't found it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OK. Go easy on me. I really didn't do my research before the purchase. Shame on me. But isn't a SureFire equivalent around $700? I know you get what you pay for but I ain't an operator. Seems like there would be a mid-tier option. I just haven't found it.

Never mind Dean. He just hates us poors. (purple)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Olight is actually a really well respected name among flashlight enthusiasts. I've never really seen any negative reviews of their hand held lights. I own several of them and all out perform much more expensive Surefire lights I've had and readily use high voltage rechargeable cells where Surefire seems lacking in that area. Also have more features than any Surefire I've seen. Magnetic charging for one, moon light mode, and a better UI over all. Now I don't have any first hand experience with their weapon lights but their is far from hate for Olight among flashlight enthusiasts. I admit I am one.

Triton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2020
    New Albany
    I have a few of their flashlights and one on my XD. For what I need it’s perfect. And I saved enough $ to buy something other than a light I have to recharge every couple of months and hope I never have to use.

I have friends who only buy high $$ stuff. That’s nice and all, but I have other priorities for my dollar.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

The laser unless you are shooting under NV IMHO , the SAS method of shooting where the light is applies within 5 yards.

An X300 is $280~ , this is something you are betting your life on.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So I bought a Baldr S light/laser combo for my garage/workbench pistol. It was on special and I knew it wouldn't be used much in the role I am utilizing it for. I know there is a lot of hate for Olight out there and I know it's Chinese stuff but man I really like the way this performs. My eyes aren't the best and the laser and light are really bright and make target acqusition really fast. Additionally it is really compact. I would like to use something like this for a nightstand gun but not sure I trust the brand. Anything comparable out there from another manufacturer or is the Olight GTG?
    Why don't you take it to the range and put it in any firearm that will accept it, and run thousands of rounds through it that way?
    Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns. .
    Just move it from one to another.
    Test it, and dont surmise it's bad, or good.

An example of surmising.
    My nephew bought a Glock 22 Gen 3 years ago. We all surmised it was going to be boringly reliable.
    Cleaned, and lubed then took it out to my range.
    About every other shot was a failure to feed, or extract with federal 180gr fmj.
    We tried different magazines same issue.
    He traded it off for a Springfield 1911 instead of sending it back to Glock to make it right.
    Point is anything can fail. So until you test your equipment you'll never know.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Seems like there would be a mid-tier option. I just haven't found it.
    Look at Streamlight. Right around $100-$150, made in the US, and while maybe not as optically perfect as a Surefire, they're plenty bright and plenty rugged, and they don't cost $700. I've been knocking around a TLR-1 in a duty holster for years, even submerged it in water once or twice. That same light has been through three duty guns...always mounted with thousands of rounds fired...never an issue. I also have a TLR-7 which is a decent choice if you want something smaller.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I bet my life on Olight regularly. I own three weapon lights and a metric buttload of hand and helmet mounted ones. No, seriously, I own upwards of 25 of the main ones and a pocketfull of the small ones. I spend a lot of time underground, many hours from the surface, and Olight has become my latest (6-7 years now) primary sources. One weapon light is mounted on my helmet so I can use the laser to mark features for various reasons and has been totally reliable in spite of having the **** beat out of it.

The weapon lights do have more parasitic drain than some, so after six months of not being touched it may not be charged, but the one I keep on the headboard is always on charge and has worked every time. The one on the varmint gun is also always on charge and gas never failed when I’ve grabbed it to investigate a disturbance in the livestock.

So, I don’t know if I’m a fan boy, it’s more that I appreciate things that work well. In the end, I have used them enough that they have demonstrated their reliability to me more so than virtually everything else out there that I’ve tried. And I’ve tried a lot of things. Obviously weapon lights are a side aspect of what I use lighting for, but there’s enough carryover to make me feel good about it.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Olight is actually a really well respected name among flashlight enthusiasts. I've never really seen any negative reviews of their hand held lights. I own several of them and all out perform much more expensive Surefire lights I've had and readily use high voltage rechargeable cells where Surefire seems lacking in that area. Also have more features than any Surefire I've seen. Magnetic charging for one, moon light mode, and a better UI over all. Now I don't have any first hand experience with their weapon lights but their is far from hate for Olight among flashlight enthusiasts. I admit I am one.

You’re not looking hard enough, then…

The chances you’ll have an Olight grenade on you are statistically quite small. That being said, they’re much higher than the chances of a Streamlight/Surefire/Modlite/Cloud/etc. doing so. I don’t know about you, but I’ll happily shop around for a used Streamlight at ~$100-$125 and have a reputable and trusted DEFENSIVE option mounted to my nightstand gun than a budget brand that’s earned a questionable reputation.

In addition, the burn ward is absolutely the last place I wanna end up in, and there are WAY more reports of Olights causing burns from various means (accidental activation in a pocket, magnetic charge port being bridged, light shorting out/exploding) than anything else. My body’s effed up enough, I refuse to add burns (and all the horrible pains and complications they come with) to the list.

Buy a used Streamlight and call it a day, IMO. Hell, even a used X300U can be had for $150-175 if you’re patient. That’s still expensive in comparison, but way less than retail.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    In the early days of OLight they had a recall on a model because it had issues, and would tend to blow up. They also made some changes to their charging system, they have two charging systems that look identical, but the difference is the magnetic attraction. So you can't use the wrong one on the wrong flashlight.

They also had an issue with a flashlight that could turn on in your pocket and burn a hole in it. They did a recall on those as well, and redesigned the on/off switch to make it harder for it to turn on in a pocket.

The past few years have had no incidents that I can find. They have become a pretty solid devices. I also have the Balder S as well, but not mounted on anything as it is hard to find holsters that work with it. My P-10S has an OLight Valkyrie that has had no issues with hundreds of rounds with it on.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    In the early days of OLight they had a recall on a model because it had issues, and would tend to blow up. They also made some changes to their charging system, they have two charging systems that look identical, but the difference is the magnetic attraction. So you can't use the wrong one on the wrong flashlight.

They also had an issue with a flashlight that could turn on in your pocket and burn a hole in it. They did a recall on those as well, and redesigned the on/off switch to make it harder for it to turn on in a pocket.

The past few years have had no incidents that I can find. They have become a pretty solid devices. I also have the Balder S as well, but not mounted on anything as it is hard to find holsters that work with it. My P-10S has an OLight Valkyrie that has had no issues with hundreds of rounds with it on.
    This holster you can shape to your setup, if you change it 100x you can reshape it 100x or it gets warranty service and you get a new one.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

I was bummed when they put proximity sensors in the lights, I used one of mine to start a fire in some leaves one day (on purpose). The latest one I have you can do a one time defeat on the proximity sensor.

Daily (yes, daily as in multiples times a day) use of my various ones and so far the only issue I’ve had was a bad battery.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    No issues with Olights here, though admittedly I have more of their flashlights than weapon lights. The flashlights have been super reliable in a lot of rough, wet hiking conditions and the batteries really seem to last. Their bicycle lights are actually really good, too. I've had an Olight on an M&P40 2.0 for about three years that is still going strong.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Olights are not crap. That being said; personally, I find absolutely no need for a laser for a pistol.
    All that being said: I have several Olight mini’s and find them light years ahead of other lights in the same size. The quick release alone makes them great, in my opinion.

Can I ask a question about your selection though?
    Why did you pick what you picked?

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I have several Olights. Four on pistols, one headlamp, and two handhelds. I really like them. Never had an issue with any of them. I love the headlamp. I needed something to wear to take the garbage out and if I needed one in an emergency. It is awesome. The pistol lights are fantastic. Last year Ben's Bargain Center in Jeffersonville had a large number of their lights for 40% off. I picked up a few pistol lights and couldn't believe I was getting them so cheap. No complaints here.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom