• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    Your paying for looks... I build competition AR9's tune them to 140 Power factor for reliability. Having installed a dozen different mfr's, who are primarily machinists and not engineers with years of aerodynamics & proper test facilities... Hence, your mainly paying for looks. The 2nd issue is generating enough gas, then capturing it effectively by the compensator design to equate it a competitive advantage.

For competition, it's more to generate sound so that the timer can record shots accurately... others like them to have noise reduction to take easy on their hearing.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Only if you're shooting "9mm Major" in a USPSA match. Otherwise, you're mainly making your gun a) louder, and b) harder to clean. And possibly cooler-looking.

It's the "Hot Rod Tonka Toy" mindset of American shooters. We like to "soup" things up, make them look cool...then sell them. (Bonus Points if you do it without shooting it).

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    We like to "soup" things up, make them look cool...then sell them. (Bonus Points if you do it without shooting it).
    Kind of like one of the recent classy ads for a red dot that said something to the effect of (paraphrasing), "I tried it out and decided a red dot on a handgun wasn't for me. Mounted to the slide but never shot."

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Your paying for looks... I build competition AR9's tune them to 140 Power factor for reliability. Having installed a dozen different mfr's, who are primarily machinists and not engineers with years of aerodynamics & proper test facilities... Hence, your mainly paying for looks. The 2nd issue is generating enough gas, then capturing it effectively by the compensator design to equate it a competitive advantage.

For competition, it's more to generate sound so that the timer can record shots accurately... others like them to have noise reduction to take easy on their hearing.
    Thanks guys. Glad I asked.

Top Bottom