Are Any of You Annealing Your Rifle Brass?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I never gave annealing much thought before now. I started shooting in a F-Class league this summer and with the increased shooting and reloading volume, I'm becoming more interested in it.

Are any of you annealing your brass and if so, what equipment/method are you using?

Thanks

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Owned a Giraud with one brother, it was a pain shipping back and forth.
    I bought a first gen Annealeez years ago, it works well. I like it or the Giraud because you can set it and walk away doing other tasks in the loading room while its working away.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For forming wildcat rounds like 7mm TCU or .357 herret, annealing is almost mandatory.

My rig was simple and cheap. I sat on a short stool with a bucket of water between my knees. Set a propane torch on the floor with the flame pointing over the bucket, away from me. I got one of those 4 claw pickup tools for a whole $3. Sitting in a dim garage, put the base of the case in the pickup tool, slowly spin it in the flame for about 15 seconds and drop it in the bucket. It does not need to be glowing cherry red for our use. repeat. This method helped me go from splitting about 50% to maybe 5%

It helps if you have a radio playing something you like.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There is a good study and test series posted by a fellow board member here, Shibumiseeker, which covers a lot about the pros and cons of case annealing with regards to case life.

Reactions: Leo

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Owned a Giraud with one brother, it was a pain shipping back and forth.
    I bought a first gen Annealeez years ago, it works well. I like it or the Giraud because you can set it and walk away doing other tasks in the loading room while its working away.
    Is the Annealeez fairly easy to set up and learn to use properly?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For forming wildcat rounds like 7mm TCU or .357 herret, annealing is almost mandatory.

My rig was simple and cheap. I sat on a short stool with a bucket of water between my knees. Set a propane torch on the floor with the flame pointing over the bucket, away from me. I got one of those 4 claw pickup tools for a whole $3. Sitting in a dim garage, put the base of the case in the pickup tool, slowly spin it in the flame for about 15 seconds and drop it in the bucket. It does not need to be glowing cherry red for our use. repeat. This method helped me go from splitting about 50% to maybe 5%

It helps if you have a radio playing something you like.
    I've only done it when I was making 30-40 Krag cases from .303 Brit brass. I would set 20 pieces of brass upright in a 13x9 baking pan with about an inch of water in it. Using a blow torch, I would heat up the neck of each case, then knock it over into the water.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I anneal every firing for any precision rifle cartridges. Annealez, ugly annealer, etc I’ve found if you turn off the lights, having the brass just barely start to glow orange on the neck before it drops is always consistent with 750 tempilaq inside the case neck. I run SDs in the 6-7s.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Is the Annealeez fairly easy to set up and learn to use properly?
    Yes. Most folks buy a bottle or two of templic temperature paint from a welding supply or online. Once you understand the color of brass you want, its easy.
    You can adjust the torch handle and flame temp along with speeding the wheels on the machine slower or faster.
    We form a bunch of cases and like above, annealing is imperative.
    If I have time tomorrow I will post a video.

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I anneal using a cordless drill and the caliber specific tools from Little Crow Works. I count to 12 and drop the hot brass into water. Works like a charm and has allowed me to get more loading from my brass.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What is the reason some drop annealed brass into water?
    As far as the annealing goes, it makes no difference, but it saves you from having to set them up for air cooling and washes the cooked flakes of carbon and other debris from the inside.

If you need to load them right away, water can slow that down.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    The AMP annealer looks really interesting but the $1,595 price is kinda out there. Another guy in my shooting league has one and anneals for a couple of his closer friends. Maybe I need to get in his good graces.

Back in the more cost effective world, the Annealeez seems to get a lot of favorable press.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I do my rifle brass because I can. I put cobbled together an induction annealer fed by my dillon casefeeder. Temps controlled by electronic timer based on tempilaq. Combination of amazon chinesium annealer and timer, 3d printed feeder assembly, hi-temp glass guide tube, and other motors and microswitches I had laying around. Basically fire and forget (but I don't leave it unattended because it's just something I cobbled together, not exactly UL rated.)

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I do my rifle brass because I can. I put cobbled together an induction annealer fed by my dillon casefeeder. Temps controlled by electronic timer based on tempilaq. Combination of amazon chinesium annealer and timer, 3d printed feeder assembly, hi-temp glass guide tube, and other motors and microswitches I had laying around. Basically fire and forget (but I don't leave it unattended because it's just something I cobbled together, not exactly UL rated.)
    Gotta see that! Induction annealing has peaked my interest. Always thought of making one but never pulled the trigger

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom