Are All AK Bolt Carriers Interchangable?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Short answer: No.

Some carriers types may swap ok with one another however you must factor in receiver types (milled/stamped/heavy stamped etc.)

I would think a Russian AKM swapped with a Maadi AKM or Romanian AKM would be ok just off the top of my head (or Hungarian for that matter).

When you get into 100 series modern AK's then it's a different story. The tail of the bolt is usually a smaller diameter (so the carriers end up being different).

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Last night I was board and swapped carriers between my Yugo m70 and SAR-2... I know that they will not function in that config since one is 7.62 and the other is 5.54 but the B/C's seemed to cycle just fine.

The whole reason I am asking is I want to get a spare B/C and top cover to have a left side charging handle setup. Looking on ar15.com there are all kinds of bolts and bolt carriers for sale. I asked this same question on there since no one had answered me on here. One guy said any B/C should work in combination with my original bolt. He also said that he has some Galil B/C's in a couple of his AK's... That would be pretty cool. Anyone know if the Galil's really do work too?

Are All AK Bolt Carriers Interchangable? - AR15.COM

jmsnell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Indy
    This is an interesting because I've heard (and I guess assumed) that hajis put AKs together from piles of random parts.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    This is an interesting because I've heard (and I guess assumed) that hajis put AKs together from piles of random parts.

Just because you can, and the resulting gun might even work, doesn't mean it's assembled correctly, or even a good idea...

I've seen pics of some "Khyber Pass" builds that would blow your mind - some were incredibly exacting recreations, right down to the fake rivets and imitation Russian proof marks, while others were such obvious pieces of crap you wonder why they didn't hand-grenade on the first trigger pull. :n00b:

Top Bottom