• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I know this is a loaded question with different thoughts , and thats why I am asking this. Which gun is going to hold its value and increase faster than the other ? I think the LEVER is going to increase in value and do it faster than the AR. Just wondering what you guys are thinking , Everybodys opinions matters , just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this.THANKS

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I'll be the first to jump in. In my collection, I have several lever actions (and other actions, for that matter) that have doubled in monetary value in the last 10 or 15 years. It would take an extraordinary upheaval in the country for the AR to accomplish this because there are so many in existence, but the possibility exists.

Also, it depends on which lever actions. In general, the Rossi lever is not going to increase in value as much as an older Marlin or Browning. Higher perceived-quality firearms are going to perform better, monetarily, than lesser-quality models, just like anything else you want to compare. Also, rarity plays a big part.

Here's but one example, a 44 Mag Marlin that I paid $700 for, that's now worth substantially more. It's a somewhat rare 16" ported barrel model, and has gone up in value more than the standard Marlin lever. I have the same exact model in .357, and it's done even better than the .44 in terms of resale value.

Cropped IMG_2316.jpg

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Well had I known then what I know now I would have purchased may more of these. On a side note I would not pay the prices levers demands now and I would also not purchase an AR style rifle expecting it to ever increase in value.

Attachments

• CE0D3000-85F8-4717-898A-13873EC2CA17.jpeg
      CE0D3000-85F8-4717-898A-13873EC2CA17.jpeg
      404.1 KB · Views: 10

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    It all depends on the model, scarcity, and demand. The current dime a dozen crop of black rifles and mass produced lever actions probably won’t go up that much. However, I have some older Colt AR’s that have gone up 500% in the last ten years

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    I don't see the value of most ARs outpacing inflation unless there is some sort of manufacturing ban placed on them.

My question on levers - are they cheap now compared to another decade into the future? Or will the current popularity subside?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    My question on levers - are they cheap now compared to another decade into the future? Or will the current popularity subside?

I'm hoping this new lever fad passes about the time manufacturers ramp up production to get caught up with their current popularity. That way I can get some more when the prices drop after they've been sitting on the shelves for a while.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm hoping this new lever fad passes about the time manufacturers ramp up production to get caught up with their current popularity. That way I can get some more when the prices drop after they've been sitting on the shelves for a while.
    Exactly my feelings on this.

brdhntr37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    This all kinds depends on who is in office too. Ar's have spiked up when you get people pushing hard to outlaw them. They come back down, but you just have to time them right. Long term send to be the older lever guns from what I have seen

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Looking at auction sites JM marked levers are through the roof. Glad I got mine years ago. AR's? Not so much. The ones I bought 20 years ago have not increased in value very much. A Colt has increased somewhat but only because I got a deal on it.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I can't speak to new production lever guns, I don't really see the asking price. I will say I don't expect any current AR platform to be a wise investment for long term value increase. I like old lever guns but I think their current value only lies in the fact not many are up for sale right now, we're in a pattern where the people that have them want to keep them. As mentioned upstream, the new manufacture is gonna try to catch up but the older ones will at least keep their current value if not going even higher.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    AR's will not go up in value. Even with potential banning. There are just way too many. You'll always find a sucker who you might be able to sneak a few hundred from but even DD rifles aren't investments. They are tools.

Personally I have a hard time seeing how lever guns will go up in value. They're just really over valued right now with the tactical lever gun craze. I wouldn't buy anything in that area expecting a return on investment.

movevio1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2022
    Southeast Indiana
    The way the market is flooded with AR style weapons the volume of them alone will keep them from raising in value. Any lever gun has a much smaller pool to chose from making them “rarer” and increasing value

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I didn't buy my ARs for investment but for ease of use and effective self-defense. I'm glad to see them come back down in price, I hope more average Americans continue to buy them and take charge of their own protection.

Lever actions are awesome but we've come a long way since John Wayne-type self defense.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I have a really nice early 94 winchester, fun gun to shoot.
    I have several AR's service rifle, match rifle, rimfire...all competitive rifles , a lever gun isn't good for CMP/NRA matches, but fun. An AR has little collectors value, but a work horse you can "ride hard & put em up wet" and do it repeatedly.
    Plus my winchester just chokes at the thought of 600 yard shots

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    I don't see the value of most ARs outpacing inflation unless there is some sort of manufacturing ban placed on them.

I'd say levers are hyperinflated right now. I can't see my $2k rifle going to 4k in the next decade. So from that viewpoint, I wouldn't call them a good investment right now. Of course, there's always bargains to be had if you're looking, and are lucky. I wouldn't hesitate to pay a little more than my comfort zone on a quality piece I ran across, if I really liked it.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    As far as modern-production levers, I think the Henry's are good investments right now, especially if it has a nice piece of wood or is a unique model. I bought these two at what I thought was a fair price, and I can't see them going down in value. Bottom is a .327 mag with 16" barrel, very handy. Top is .357 and I had to have that stock. It's really too heavy for me to haul around, but I just had to have it.

IMG_3159 (2).jpg

Top Bottom