• ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Anyone have any thoughts on psa?
    I had one of their 308's and I'll never do that again. The prices are what gets tempting on those PSA guns. I'm not betting my life that their latest generation doesn't suck just as bad.

My take is that I shoot long range, and I like PRS styles of competition. That said, I've taken both a 308 and 6.5 out to 1,000 yards more times than I can remember. When a new guy shows up with a 308, maybe he'll hit at 1,000. When a new guy shows up with a 6.5 he'll hit at 1,000 unless he sucks. Sorry to be blunt, but the 6.5 is a better round and no I don't have an Iphone, wear skinny jeans, or drink fancy coffee. I've shot deer with both 308 and 6.5 match ammo and they all died just the same.

The semi auto 6.5 that has my attention is the daniel defense dd5/dd4 series. IF they run and IF they're accurate they seem like an outstanding combination. I would expect it to at that price, but keep in mind it's actually on the lighter side of a rifles weight.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I had one of their 308's and I'll never do that again. The prices are what gets tempting on those PSA guns. I'm not betting my life that their latest generation doesn't suck just as bad.

My take is that I shoot long range, and I like PRS styles of competition. That said, I've taken both a 308 and 6.5 out to 1,000 yards more times than I can remember. When a new guy shows up with a 308, maybe he'll hit at 1,000. When a new guy shows up with a 6.5 he'll hit at 1,000 unless he sucks. Sorry to be blunt, but the 6.5 is a better round and no I don't have an Iphone, wear skinny jeans, or drink fancy coffee. I've shot deer with both 308 and 6.5 match ammo and they all died just the same.

The semi auto 6.5 that has my attention is the daniel defense dd5/dd4 series. IF they run and IF they're accurate they seem like an outstanding combination. I would expect it to at that price, but keep in mind it's actually on the lighter side of a rifles weight.
    The 6.5 CM is a better round if your goal is to shoot 1000 yards (or really anything past 5-600). Few people that don't have that as a goal will ever notice the difference between the two (other than ammo price/availability).

Calebcroy92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2020
    Plymouth

What types of issues did you have from PSA?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The 6.5 CM is a better round if your goal is to shoot 1000 yards (or really anything past 5-600). Few people that don't have that as a goal will ever notice the difference between the two (other than ammo price/availability).
    I'd agree with that, so long as they're not talking about a PRS match or something similar. I've been to matches where the steel plates were the size of a beer can at 500 yards, but that's towards an extreme example. Generally speaking for anything practical a guy would do with a rifle you're 100% correct.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What types of issues did you have from PSA?
    Seemed like I had every kind of jam a guy could ever not want, and on top of that the accuracy wasn't all that great. I mean it was 1.5 MOA gun with great ammo. That just doesn't get it for me. I wanted to love the gun, I really did, but I just ended up with hurt feelings and disappointment.

Calebcroy92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2020
    Plymouth
    Seemed like I had every kind of jam a guy could ever not want, and on top of that the accuracy wasn't all that great. I mean it was 1.5 MOA gun with great ammo. That just doesn't get it for me. I wanted to love the gun, I really did, but I just ended up with hurt feelings and disappointment.
    The research that I've done on the 6.5 from psa is that you have to adjust the gas to get the function correctly. Which is fine if I do decide to go with the psa I I know then I'll have to give it a tune-up.

Calebcroy92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2020
    Plymouth
    I love my rifle chambered in 6.5 cm

Calebcroy92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2020
    Plymouth
    What range were you getting the 1.5 MOA

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    100 yards. I never got the rifle to function well enough to make it worth the trip to a longer range. I can go out to 300 yards in my backyard.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Another thought is a Rugar American 6.5 Creedmoor with the AI style magazines. You can get 10rd magazines for it and save a bundle for optics and accessories.

Last edited:

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I currently have.....
    2 precision 308 bolt actions, 20" and 22" barrels
    1 308 hunting rifle, 20" barrel
    1 6.5 cm precision bolt action, 22" barrel
    1 308 ar-10 with an 18" match barrel
    1 6.5cm ar-10 with a 20" match barrel

The bolt guns are, obviously, more accurate at long range, but the ar-10s have higher capacity and are both excellent in DMR rolls.
    Out to 400 yards or do, not much difference between to 308 and the 6.5.
    But after that, the 6.5 stretches it's legs better and shines brighter than the 308.
    Anyway, it's a personal choice.
    In a SHTF situation, the 308 ar-10 will be my go to rifle.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    If you have 6.5, I’d go that way. If you have both, it would be a tougher call. Yes they 6.5 shoots flatter way out there. It does have milder recoil in a bolt gun, so I assume it would be a ***** cat out of a gas gun. Are you shooting far enough to make the 6.5 shine? Is an AR-10 accurate enough to shoot far enough to really let the 6.5 shine? I have listed over a 6.5 for awhile. I shot a buddy’s Bergara and it was amazing. Erin the end, I can only shoot 300 yards and I’m already set up for 308, both bulk and precision and his rifle didn’t shoot that much bette than mine did. With components they way they are now, I’m not investing in another caliber.

As to the PSA, based off of my one AR-10, well two, I’d say no. I bought one second hand and it didn’t function properly. It got sent back to PSA three times and then finally replaced with another non functional rifle. I don’t even recall what it was doing but it wouldn’t make it through a magazine of factory ammo, and yes, I tried multiple brands.
    I currently have an Aero that I’ve built up myself. It’s a wonderful shooter, although I had to do some serious work to get it 100% with my suppressor.

In the end, with current supply situations, I’d say go with whatever you are set up for. And spend a little extra and get a better rifle.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    My son ordered a high $$$ AR in 6.5 about a year ago now, can't remember the brand. Just expensive. Still waiting....was suppose to arrive last Dec.....then Jan......he finally gave up on it. Says if it ever shows up on the credit card he knows they finally got it made. I sure wouldn't order one thats for sure.

Top Bottom