• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My son ordered a high $$$ AR in 6.5 about a year ago now, can't remember the brand. Just expensive. Still waiting....was suppose to arrive last Dec.....then Jan......he finally gave up on it. Says if it ever shows up on the credit card he knows they finally got it made. I sure wouldn't order one thats for sure.
    Wow man I'd cancel and just buy quality parts and have a good gunsmith put it together for him if he doesn't know how himself.

Daniel Defense, or that quality will do the job also if he bought from them.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Wow man I'd cancel and just buy quality parts and have a good gunsmith put it together for him if he doesn't know how himself.

Daniel Defense, or that quality will do the job also if he bought from them.
    He builds them all the time. The maker is known for excellent barrels and if it doesn't shoot to their standards will replace at their cost. I should see him this weekend, have to ask who it is, was....he is dealing with again. I know their guns have gone up in price a bunch since his order, but he is locked in. I told him thats probably why they are forgetting about him cause now they will lose money on backorders.

UPDATE: his order is still in, its a LaRue parts kits.

Last edited:

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    You need to ask yourself if you can realistically shoot beyond 100oyds. As in, do you have access to shoot this distance? A 6.5 is far better suited for that distance, but youd need to train at those distances to be effective. If you only have access to 800 yds or less the .308 is still an excellent round, and more plentiful.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Remember that if the SHTF and you are searching for ammo which caliber will you more likely to be able to get your hands on? And realistically, what can the 6.5 do better than a .308 out to about 300 yards? At practical distances, I would get the .308 and get a great optic for the rifle.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    IMO not many can shoot accurately past 300 yards. Heck most just like to hear the crack of the rifle once or twice a year then brag that their rifle will shoot 1000 yards and your 308 won’t.

There are those few that put the time, effort, money and practice into it and those are the ones that can see the benefits of the longer bullets and higher ballistic coefficient of the 6.5.

There is a lot more to shooting 1000 yards than owning or talking about a rifle that will shoot 1000 yards accurately. I truly believe both cartridges will get there in the right hands and from what I have read the 6.5 will get there with a little more FP energy and accuracy.

As for me I enjoy attempting shots out to 500 yards at my range and I believe both will preform equal out to that in my hands.

As far as hunting in Indiana over the last 40 years I have never attempted a shot on an animal over 150 yards. I did practice several years ago and was comfortable at 400 yards with my 30/06 as I was preparing for an elk hunt in Wyoming. The bull I harvested was 328” and he succumbed to a 30 cal bullet from my 30/06 at approximately 45 yards.

if you don’t reload and have some components already stockpiled. I would recommend the 308 because of availability and cost of factory ammo. Unless you are willing to invest the time, effort and money it takes to see the benefits of the 6.5 C.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You need to ask yourself if you can realistically shoot beyond 100oyds. As in, do you have access to shoot this distance? A 6.5 is far better suited for that distance, but youd need to train at those distances to be effective. If you only have access to 800 yds or less the .308 is still an excellent round, and more plentiful.
    Screenshot_20210923-013300_Federal.jpg

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    6.5 or 308 for a ar10 platform and why?
    If you're worried about ammo availability then get a 308.
    If you're more interested in accuracy get the 6.5creedmoor.

I've shot deer with both, they all died the same.
    I've shot competitions with both, the 6.5 wins hands down.
    I've tried looking for ammo for both in today's wild market and 308 wins hands down.

Either way, you need good glass and some quality time in at the range or you've just got an expensive paperweight to show your buddies.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Cool. IDK what this proves? I personally shoot a .308 AND a 6.5manbun out to distance. My post was from personal experience not a generic chart.

You want me to post all of my dope from my kestrel? lol
    Definitely and compare the two. The main factors are velocity, and if you can give me your BC of the bullet you use I can add that in and run your ballistics. Unless you have all that down already.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Too bad Remington Dropped the ball with the .260. Great cartridge. I was 6.5 when 6.5 was not cool. Started with 6.5mm Swede, would have stayed with it but it did not fit Winchester 70 actions.

Never owned a 6.5 Creedmore, but it looks like another 6.5 X 308 variant. It probably shoots great.

For freedom farming. I would lean toward the common calibers I can get out of my enemies bunker. Pretty hard to out logistic the people that have already taken your money.

As a PALMA shooter, I will admit the 7.62 X 51 is pretty marginal at 1000, but easily makes the 800 yard targets and still pretty good at 900 if your sights have enough elevation. Plenty good enough for most uses.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Too bad Remington Dropped the ball with the .260. Great cartridge. I was 6.5 when 6.5 was not cool. Started with 6.5mm Swede, would have stayed with it but it did not fit Winchester 70 actions.

Never owned a 6.5 Creedmore, but it looks like another 6.5 X 308 variant. It probably shoots great.

For freedom farming. I would lean toward the common calibers I can get out of my enemies bunker. Pretty hard to out logistic the people that have already taken your money.

As a PALMA shooter, I will admit the 7.62 X 51 is pretty marginal at 1000, but easily makes the 800 yard targets and still pretty good at 900 if your sights have enough elevation. Plenty good enough for most uses.
    I'm no Remington fan but I don't think one can say they legitimately dropped the ball on the .260. The timing wasn't right for the public to go crazy over a .264 caliber cartridge even if Remington had marketed it as vigorously as the 6.5 CM was marketed. The 6.5 CM was released at the perfect time to take advantage of the long range shooting craze when combined with the heavy marketing campaign. The 6.5 CM won't do anything more than the .260 for the majority of users and is little more than a .260 case slightly shortened to allow for longer, heavier bullets to fit in short action magazines.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm no Remington fan but I don't think one can say they legitimately dropped the ball on the .260. The timing wasn't right for the public to go crazy over a .264 caliber cartridge even if Remington had marketed it as vigorously as the 6.5 CM was marketed. The 6.5 CM was released at the perfect time to take advantage of the long range shooting craze when combined with the heavy marketing campaign. The 6.5 CM won't do anything more than the .260 for the majority of users and is little more than a .260 case slightly shortened to allow for longer, heavier bullets to fit in short action magazines.
    I see your point with little disagreement

Mine point was based on the Target rifle community that saw the benefit of the Cartridge.

Carl Bernosky had just won the National Championships with a .243. That forever unseated the 7.62 X 51 as the champion round at Camp Perry.

Remington had the popular 40XB target rifle. For 9 consecutive months Remington ran adds in the magazines that the 40XB was "NOW AVAILABLE IN 260!" I took my $1900 to the dealer and ordered on the 1st month. The rifle never came. I even called Mo in New York, who was the largest volume dealer of the Remington target rifles in the country. He told me he asked for FIFTY of them and Remington never sent him a single one. They did ship a few middle of the road light weight hunting rifles, but never really did much to promote them. .

Remington ammo branch only made two loads available. Both using Remington Core Lock bullets for hunting medium sized game. They were on back order every time I tried to get them. I was able to eventually buy 1000 pieces of new brass, so I was able to compete with my custom build. I rebarreled a 6.5 X 308 wildcat I had for about 10 years. I had to special order my own reamers because no one had them.

Going through the effort to legitimize a caliber and then not making the rifles to use it and barely making any ammo seems to me like they dropped the ball. If the 22-250 and the .243 were handled like that, they would both be in the history book instead of the shelf.

Creedmore adopted, promoted, AND supplied to the people who wanted them. When they announced it, rifles were built and ready to be shipped. Ammo was in the warehouse. They did it right. Like you said, the rounds are very similar.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    If you're worried about ammo availability then get a 308.
    If you're more interested in accuracy get the 6.5creedmoor.

I've shot deer with both, they all died the same.
    I've shot competitions with both, the 6.5 wins hands down.
    I've tried looking for ammo for both in today's wild market and 308 wins hands down.

Either way, you need good glass and some quality time in at the range or you've just got an expensive paperweight to show your buddies.
    What about both uppers for your AR10 lower...I think I need to get another upper for mine then just swap as the situation dictates.

Reactions: Leo

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I went 7.62X51MM., each to his own.

Why, Kirk?

1. Existing stockpile of ammo.
    2. Other long guns (bolt) in .308
    3. Logistical problems of adding in 6.5CM
    4. 6.5CM is a magnificent cartridge, absolutely joyful at "mid ranges" and a boon to mathaphobes like me but nothing is my world needs shot at 700M and .308 is for horsepower, not range, for me.

Since the Great Reorganization during the Trump Administration (was the time to act so I did) I have a PAC for my PACE of AR-10 rifles. Patiently waiting for Monty's AR-10 (you hear that Monty? Patiently.) to round it out.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    He builds them all the time. The maker is known for excellent barrels and if it doesn't shoot to their standards will replace at their cost. I should see him this weekend, have to ask who it is, was....he is dealing with again. I know their guns have gone up in price a bunch since his order, but he is locked in. I told him thats probably why they are forgetting about him cause now they will lose money on backorders.

UPDATE: his order is still in, its a LaRue parts kits.
    Update! After over 14 months waiting the LaRue upper my son ordered is coming this week. Probably had to wait for China to build and ship it...lol.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I wonder if the extreme price and scarcity of 6.5C has affected the calculus on this question. Last "deal" I recall seeing was something like $1.30 and round. 6.5C was hit hard, early, and stock hasn't recovered.

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    I just went through this same question for myself, last year.

I chose to go with .308 and here's why. I figured if I had a 6.5 Creedmoor, I would want to wring as much accuracy out of it as I could. I decided that an AR platform would not be the rifle that I would want to try to do that with.

Second, I was already set up to reload for .308 and I had some brass and bullets on hand. Setting myself up to reload for 6.5C would have been a bigger expense and a guy couldn't really have picked a worse time to add a new caliber to the stable.

Top Bottom