• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If popping paper at 100 yards, id opt for something at 12x or more

Who has a bench when theyre hinting yotes?

Who shoots well offhand?
    Yeah you can use bipods or even tripods......i for one just want my calls and a rifle. But then i do a couple sets per loop.

Run a stock GI triggrr or even one w JP springs, and you dont reload.....your accuracy game aint gonna be the best.

So imho, for offhand and off bipod, a 2-7x is hard to beat for 200 and in stuff.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Leupold Freedom EFR 3-9x has AO.
    Would not look bad on the AR and is not a heavy scope.

A lightweight 16" w such would be a good walkin rig.

But Id peek through any scope before purchase. Had one of these and it had a bad halo or shadow effect around outside

Maybe due to recess of obj lens, or maybe a bad one....or maybe theyre all like that. I dunno. Hence my look before purchase statement.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm
    I finally joined the AR family, and now I'm looking for a scope for my ATI. My main use for it will be 100-200+ yard, steel targets, occasional coyote/varmint hunting. Do you recommend a straight 4x or 3-9x or other?
    TIA.
    Definitely not a straight 4x. Ideally a 1-4x24. There is nothing wrong with a good 3-9 and they are affordable compared to most anything else. Since you have an ati I'm going with budget being important so I'll advise to stay away from a cheap first focal plane optic. To do first focal right isn't cheap. Atibal makes a decent and affordable 2nd focal plane 1-4x. The redfield revolution 3-9x is the best value optic on the planet, they are made in the us and built extremely solid for under 200. I have multiple revolutions and they are all rock solid with clear glass and track true.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If his rifle has a reg FSB he might prefer a 3x on the low side.

Redfield Revs are decent scopes. Had several. On a few the click was more than spec, one axis only, but they were repeatable and dialed in.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I like the 1-4x and 1-6x on my 16" Carbines. Vortex is hard to beat. I have an older 1-4X Viper PST and a 1-6x Strike Eagle. On the cheap side, the first scope I bought for an AR was a VISM EVO 1-4x that surprisingly has been an awesome scope. I have fired alot of rounds from various different rifles with this scope and it has always held zero and the glass is very clear for a cheap scope. I have never pushed it past 100 yards though, as that's all I have available to me, so I can't honestly say how it would perform there. I have had the Bushnell AR Optics 1-4x that was a good scope for the money too. I also like First Focal Plane in a 1-4x and 2nd Focal Plane for anything above that, as on a 1-4x the FFP is kinda like a red dot at 1x.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I finally joined the AR family, and now I'm looking for a scope for my ATI. My main use for it will be 100-200+ yard, steel targets, occasional coyote/varmint hunting. Do you recommend a straight 4x or 3-9x or other?
    TIA.
    I really like the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x scopes for upto 300-400 yards.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Hookeye is on the right track. If you're considering any hunting at all with it you'll want something with good light transmission and at least half decent field of view. 2x is very usable at close range and 7x is plenty for 200+ yards unless you want to make little bitty groups. A Leupold VX-R is close to being a perfect a ll around scope. Good glass, light, reliable, good adjustments, and not excessively costly.

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    I think I might have found my scope. I found a Simmons 8 Point 3-9 at my LGS. The glass was nice & clear, only second to the Weaver they had. They had a Vortex Crossfire, but it was a rim fire. Will check around a little more, but that will probably be what I go with.
    Thanks for all your inputs, it helped a lot.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    IMO - as most definitely Not An Expert On anything:

For THAT gun and for THOSE ranges, an inexpensive 1-4 or 1-6 will be all that you need. Probably a 1-4 would be best.

Rouzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Madison
    The new Burris RT6 is impressive and its a lot of optic for the money at $350; 1-6x24 30mm tube. It’s probably made in the same facility as the vortex viper 1-6 but vortex is $600. They are both made in Philippines. Which is not a bad thing. Most things coming from the Philippines are getting good reviews in optics anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    1-6 LPVO from Vortex, swampfox , or any of the higher end companies 1-8, or 1-10 won't hurt, but 10x is a lot of zoom for .223.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    A Vortex StrikeEagle 1-6 or 1-8 would be my suggestion. Both have very good value for the $. I had a few 1-6s and upgraded to the 1-8s and haven't had any issues or complaints. They're not the most inexpensive or expensive but I'm a buy once cry once type or person.

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    For reference, I've got the strike eagle (attack pigeon) 1-6. Nothing to complain about. I'm content with the optic power, though if I had the money I would spend it on something a little more proven (nightforce, Schmidt&bender, heck even the vortex razor is super nice.)

I've got a buddy who went to college with a group of engineers who left vortex for swampfox. He swears by them. As I understand, swampfox is the Chinese optic oem brand, but based in the usa?

Also for reference: after spending some time with my friends swampfox Kingslayer I'm STRONGLY considering trying to trade my RMR off for one.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    JMO
    The reasons for going to a scope over irons are:
    Precision
    Target ID
    *Quality glass is top priority. If the resolution is crap what you see might get blurry if you increase magnification
    *Accuracy and repeatability of windage&elevation knobs is way more important on higher power scopes where you're "adjusting your sights" to compensate for bullet drop and wind for shots at long range. LPVO like 1-4's with BDC reticles lend themselves to "zero once and forget it".
    *FFP is important for keeping the size of the target in synch with the MOA/MIL marks on your reticle, for calculating adjustment or holdover at long range. For short-mid range (like with a 1-4), not so much. SFP will do fine.
    *An illuminated reticle is essential for good results in low light--coyote hunting or HD.

As was said up-thread, a good trigger is more important for accuracy than a scope. I understand BCM makes a good single stage trigger. I have RockRiverArms 2 stage match trigger (4.5lbs) that I highly recommend.

Welcome to the AR family

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    JMO
    The reasons for going to a scope over irons are:
    Precision
    Target ID
    *Quality glass is top priority. If the resolution is crap what you see might get blurry if you increase magnification
    *Accuracy and repeatability of windage&elevation knobs is way more important on higher power scopes where you're "adjusting your sights" to compensate for bullet drop and wind for shots at long range. LPVO like 1-4's with BDC reticles lend themselves to "zero once and forget it".
    *FFP is important for keeping the size of the target in synch with the MOA/MIL marks on your reticle, for calculating adjustment or holdover at long range. For short-mid range (like with a 1-4), not so much. SFP will do fine.
    *An illuminated reticle is essential for good results in low light--coyote hunting or HD.

As was said up-thread, a good trigger is more important for accuracy than a scope. I understand BCM makes a good single stage trigger. I have RockRiverArms 2 stage match trigger (4.5lbs) that I highly recommend.

Welcome to the AR family
    Agree fully. I'm old so I need more magnification, the 1-8 works great for me 2-400. The FFP is better for longer ranges as said above. The SFP will work fine for the yardage the OP is looking to use it at.
    Also a JP lighter trigger spring set helps a stock trigger tremendously and it's inexpensive.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    On the "Low Price" end, I went with a Nikon P-Tactical .223 on my AR. 3X is all I need out to 200. IMO, Buyin Scopes is definitely based on How Much you wanna Spend. And Welcome to the AR Bunch!

Top Bottom