• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    I finally joined the AR family, and now I'm looking for a scope for my ATI. My main use for it will be 100-200+ yard, steel targets, occasional coyote/varmint hunting. Do you recommend a straight 4x or 3-9x or other?
    TIA.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Welcome to the AR world, your upgrade choices are vast and plentiful. For the uses you've listed, I would look at some of the Primary Arms ACSS reticle options for the 5.56. There are some great YouTube videos about the simplicity, ranging capabilities, and wind holds features of the ACSS reticle. I've got two of them, one for my AR and another for my 6.5. They are very intuitive and functional with a wide variety of zoom powers. Here's a link to their ACSS offerings but I couldn't filter the list by caliber: Primary Arms ACSS Scopes

I also have a great Vortex Crossfire II with a illuminated dot at the cross-hairs. It was my first AR optic and is still one of my favorites too! One of INGO's site supporters is A&A Optics and he can answer most any optics question you have: A&A Optics

Good luck with your AR and your optics search. There are many many choices out there whether you go with a LPVO-Low Power Variable Optic, red dot & magnifier, or traditional scope...do your research and see what fits your needs and budget.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Price range will help narrow your options a lot. Caliber has little to nothing to do with proper optics selection. Its all about 2 things.

Purpose (you answered)
    and price.
    See 380Mike...I knew the real expert; 42769vette, would join in to help you out. I met him at his booth at the 2019 NRA show in Indy, really nice helpful people at A&A.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Welcome to the AR world, your upgrade choices are vast and plentiful. For the uses you've listed, I would look at some of the Primary Arms ACSS reticle options for the 5.56. There are some great YouTube videos about the simplicity, ranging capabilities, and wind holds features of the ACSS reticle. I've got two of them, one for my AR and another for my 6.5. They are very intuitive and functional with a wide variety of zoom powers. Here's a link to their ACSS offerings but I couldn't filter the list by caliber: Primary Arms ACSS Scopes

I also have a great Vortex Crossfire II with a illuminated dot at the cross-hairs. It was my first AR optic and is still one of my favorites too! One of INGO's site supporters is A&A Optics and he can answer most any optics question you have: A&A Optics

Good luck with your AR and your optics search. There are many many choices out there whether you go with a LPVO-Low Power Variable Optic, red dot & magnifier, or traditional scope...do your research and see what fits your needs and budget.
    I second the ACSS for a very utilitarian setup. I've recently been bitten by the PA scope bug. Really nice glass for the price point. Am very pleased, and have also acquired their 22lr version.

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Price range will help narrow your options a lot. Caliber has little to nothing to do with proper optics selection. Its all about 2 things.

Purpose (you answered)
    and price.
    I would like to keep the price point fairly low, until I find out how well this rifle shoots, then I could upgrade the scope if needed. Kinda like putting a $5000 radio system in a '85 Yugo.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would like to keep the price point fairly low, until I find out how well this rifle shoots, then I could upgrade the scope if needed. Kinda like putting a $5000 radio system in a '85 Yugo.

If your looking for as cheap as it gets while maintaining reliability, this is your answer, but "fairly low" give me no more information than I had before because everyone's definition of "fairly low" is different.

JTL165

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 26, 2020
    Central
    If you dont have any plans of shooting inside of 25 i would go with an optic with a max magnification of 9/10 at least.
    While you can make hits at distance with lesser or no magnification there's no sense in playing the game on hard mode.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Nobody has ever said "I wish I had a less quality optic".

That said, especially today there's a ton of suitable optics out there across price points for a good number of uses.

Personally, for an AR, I like the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x LVPO for its value proposition...can use it as a red dot-type sight on 1x or zoom in for punching paper or shooting extended ranges. The 1-6x has a different reticle and is a bit less expensive.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    You are diving I to a deep pool. Lots of info to digest. Do yourself a favor; FFP or bust.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Good point. If you want to do some coyote hunting then you might consider a lit reticle for low-light or night hunting with a red LED or red lense LED flashlight. Now, that opens up another set of options too...weapon mounted hunting lights. As Ruger_Ronin stated above...you're getting into the deep end really quick!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Is your ATI the hybrid model? First, you might want to see how it functions and see how the trigger feels before putting money into a scope. I think it might not be the best choice for shooting at 200 yds. I hope I'm wrong.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had two AR's. One, I called my long distance rig had a 3-9. The other had a 1-4. It was supposed to be my SHTF/plinker. Both are gone now.

I have a 2-7 on a 10/22. For my eyes, that is not enough magnification for past 100 yards with my older eyes. Even at 100 years I am left wanting with 7 power.

I do have a nice 4-12 that Alan sold me on my Weatherby XXII. That is much nicer for longer distances.

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Is your ATI the hybrid model? First, you might want to see how it functions and see how the trigger feels before putting money into a scope. I think it might not be the best choice for shooting at 200 yds. I hope I'm wrong.
    It's a Milsport model. It currently doesn't have any sights.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It's a Milsport model. It currently doesn't have any sights.
    It'll probably shoot well with heavier bullets, since it has a 1:8 twist barrel. I have a Leupold Mk AR 1.5-4 X 20 on my AR Carbine with 1:7 twist barrel. I also have the Leupold scope mount. It is plenty clear and has enough magnification for me, out to 200 yds.

Top Bottom