• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JGIBSON

Liberty Creek Guns LLC.
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 7, 2021
    Abington IN
    Whats the best way to go about getting my AR pistol to and SBR? Have been told several things, and also read a bunch of different things on the web. Would like to from someone who has done it personally.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    You want to file a form1. Electronic filing is the easiest and quickest in my opinion. Nationalguntrusts.com has a great tutorial on their website that will help you to fill out the forms. They also offer cheap trusts if you dont have one yet and want one. Ed Jewell in Indianapolis does fantastic work on laser engraving, but I'm not sure how close you are to Indianapolis.

JGIBSON

Liberty Creek Guns LLC.
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 7, 2021
    Abington IN
    You want to file a form1. Electronic filing is the easiest and quickest in my opinion. Nationalguntrusts.com has a great tutorial on their website that will help you to fill out the forms. They also offer cheap trusts if you dont have one yet and want one. Ed Jewell in Indianapolis does fantastic work on laser engraving, but I'm not sure how close you are to Indianapolis.
    Awesome brother thank you.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Awesome brother thank you.
    Also if you aren't aware, the ATF is currently considering making all braced pistols SBRs. There was some discussion about allowing free SBR conversions when it was proposed over a year ago when brandon took office. I'm holding off on SBR conversions for now until we see what gets mandated this summer by the ATF. The ATF will also be overwhelmed with Form1s when they push this update, so it may take months for approval. Up to you on whether the potential $200 savings is worth not getting Form 1 approval until 2023.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I have been contemplating the same thing.. I'm concerned that if they require us to sbr them that the wait time could be totally ridiculous.. I'd like to get a jump on it and I'd like to have real stocks.. however I don't want to go engraving expensive guns and making them nfa items if I don't have to.. I don't plan on selling them, but if I needed to do so I think it would affect the sellability of them.
    I kind of think they will require the braces be removed and the classic buffer tube installed. I don't think they will Grandfather anything or wave the fee. Even if they did wave it, I'd almost rather pay the $200 now and not risk being without a brace or stock for lord knows how long.
    Another thing I find a little concerning is that the tax has been $200 since 1934.. which was something like $8k back then.. it has become affordable with time, I don't want to wait have have them catch up with the times though.

rrschooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Also if you aren't aware, the ATF is currently considering making all braced pistols SBRs. There was some discussion about allowing free SBR conversions when it was proposed over a year ago when brandon took office. I'm holding off on SBR conversions for now until we see what gets mandated this summer by the ATF. The ATF will also be overwhelmed with Form1s when they push this update, so it may take months for approval. Up to you on whether the potential $200 savings is worth not getting Form 1 approval until 2023.
    The ATF is pushing for a scorecard system that is so vague it will never stand up to scrutiny. That said, the scorecard is designed to make basically any braced ar into an SBR, which is what will get it tied up in court for years. Even if they do actually try to proceed, you'll likely see the same level of compliance you did with bump stocks (basically none), instant law suits with preliminary injunctions galore, and no clarity on the matter for several years.

rrschooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Marc halata is a local (greenfield) attorney that does nfa trusts as well. I actually found him through ingo years back when setting up mine, and he was excellent to work with.

Do you happen to have any sort of contact info for Ed? Or a link or business name? I'm not too far from Indy, and will likely be doing an SBR and possibly an sbs later this year, and I'd rather use a local guy than having to ship.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Marc halata is a local (greenfield) attorney that does nfa trusts as well. I actually found him through ingo years back when setting up mine, and he was excellent to work with.

Do you happen to have any sort of contact info for Ed? Or a link or business name? I'm not too far from Indy, and will likely be doing an SBR and possibly an sbs later this year, and I'd rather use a local guy than having to ship.

I used Marc for my NFA trust as well. Ed's number is 317-671-1786. He responds to texts quicker than calls. I think the last one I had done was $55 but prices may have changed. He also works part time at Parabellum in Avon I think.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Thanks guys for all your help gonna vet the ball rolling on my sbr

One other thing is the fingerprints. Dont stress too much on them. I have never heard of the ATF rejecting a set of fingerprint cards. You can order free blank cards from the ATF website and an ink pad from amazon to roll your own prints. The ATF may take up to 6 weeks to send them. Places like capitol armory sell kits with blank cards and ink pads to roll your own if you dont want to wait on the ATF.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    The ATF is pushing for a scorecard system that is so vague it will never stand up to scrutiny. That said, the scorecard is designed to make basically any braced ar into an SBR, which is what will get it tied up in court for years. Even if they do actually try to proceed, you'll likely see the same level of compliance you did with bump stocks (basically none), instant law suits with preliminary injunctions galore, and no clarity on the matter for several years.
    Yeah I agree it will be a complete mess for at least a year.

rrschooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    One other thing is the fingerprints. Dont stress too much on them. I have never heard of the ATF rejecting a set of fingerprint cards. You can order free blank cards from the ATF website and an ink pad from amazon to roll your own prints. The ATF may take up to 6 weeks to send them. Places like capitol armory sell kits with blank cards and ink pads to roll your own if you dont want to wait on the ATF.
    I've heard of prints getting kicked back, but only for mistakes in the top part (missing dates or other empty boxes).

I've done my own prints on my last 4 form 1s with a cheap ink pad from Amazon and the cards ordered from the ATF. Really easy to run your own.

desnifter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    USA
    Another easy option for fingerprint cards is putting yours in the silencershop kiosk. You can order cards at any time, and if you complete yours through their system they can include the cards for you.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Another easy option for fingerprint cards is putting yours in the silencershop kiosk. You can order cards at any time, and if you complete yours through their system they can include the cards for you.

Yeah just be prepared to pay $15 per pair of printed cards. You also have to call to order them. There is no online ordering option.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I have been contemplating the same thing.. I'm concerned that if they require us to sbr them that the wait time could be totally ridiculous.. I'd like to get a jump on it and I'd like to have real stocks.. however I don't want to go engraving expensive guns and making them nfa items if I don't have to.. I don't plan on selling them, but if I needed to do so I think it would affect the sellability of them.
    I kind of think they will require the braces be removed and the classic buffer tube installed. I don't think they will Grandfather anything or wave the fee. Even if they did wave it, I'd almost rather pay the $200 now and not risk being without a brace or stock for lord knows how long.
    Another thing I find a little concerning is that the tax has been $200 since 1934.. which was something like $8k back then.. it has become affordable with time, I don't want to wait have have them catch up with the times though.
    Whats the chances of these passing....

Top Bottom