• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Building an AR for better accuracy. Looking for a smith to lap the upper receiver and check headspace this build.
    Prefer someone between Seymour and Indy.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My national match & my space gun both shoot under M.O.A. and neither have been lapped together. Use a good barrel , a great trigger , free float hand guard and practice, lots of practice

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    My national match & my space gun both shoot under M.O.A. and neither have been lapped together. Use a good barrel , a great trigger , free float hand guard and practice, lots of practice
    I'm using Aero Precision upper and lower, Ballistic Advantage premium barrel and bolt, and Geiselle trigger. Just want to do everything I can to get that little bit more accuracy. With being retired and being a reloader, I do plan on working on lots of practice.
    Thanks

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Sounds like you have a very solid build planned.
    I know nothing of the ballistic advantage barrel....my only "concern ".....barrel leanth is also a concern. So may I suggest a 20 inch, 1 in 8 (min) twist, heavier profile......
    Now for load....my rifles prefer faster powder say 8208 or something in that burn rate area.
    I can get 69 SMK TO flat ass hammer at 300 yards and 77's to do the same at 600.

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Sounds like you have a very solid build planned.
    I know nothing of the ballistic advantage barrel....my only "concern ".....barrel leanth is also a concern. So may I suggest a 20 inch, 1 in 8 (min) twist, heavier profile......
    Now for load....my rifles prefer faster powder say 8208 or something in that burn rate area.
    I can get 69 SMK TO flat ass hammer at 300 yards and 77's to do the same at 600.
    I'm getting an 18" premium spiral fluted. Fairly stout barrel. I've used BA barrels before and had excellent results.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    This may not help, but Bexar sells stripped Aero uppers and offers lapping services. I'm sure someone would buy your other upper if you dont want it.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Ok 18 inch will get the job done, you loose a little velocity, but if your not reaching past 400 - 500 yards you will not notice.
    Spiral fluted? Unnecessary in my thoughts, but......
    So now we need to know what twist rate?
    I'm a guessing this gonna be a scoped rifle? Shot off the bench? What is your acceptable accuracy? At what distance?

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Ok 18 inch will get the job done, you loose a little velocity, but if your not reaching past 400 - 500 yards you will not notice.
    Spiral fluted? Unnecessary in my thoughts, but......
    So now we need to know what twist rate?
    I'm a guessing this gonna be a scoped rifle? Shot off the bench? What is your acceptable accuracy? At what distance?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    With a 69 SMK its possible.....but I think 3/4 inch is more probable.
    1:8 twist that will stabilize up to 77 real easy....
    Good glass, a good trigger, good hand loads....

Top Bottom