• ...and so much more!
  • srcoley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    So, I'm a lefty.

My shiny new AR is not. About a month ago I looked up a couple different left-handed safeties/selectors that I could purchase to swap out.

Well, while doing some research on how to make the swap, I decided to remove the safety just see how to make the swap, and familiarize myself a bit more with the gun.

Just out of curiosity, I reinserted the safety into the RIGHT side of the gun, making it a make-shift left-handed safety. I reassembled the gun, and it seems to work quite well! The safety sticks out from the gun about a millimeter, but is still very snug and secure.

Maybe I was wrong, but I was under the impression that this couldn't be done. Has anyone heard of this being done before? Does it hold up(doesn't pop out or come loose) while firing the gun?

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    What is your detent locking into when you reverse your selector ???

You can not just simply reverse your selector..........

srcoley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    My AR is an Olympic.

I took it shooting yesterday, and it worked just fine. I chambered a round, switched on the safety, aimed down range, and tried to fire. It wouldn't let me. I switched the safety to fire and it fired.

Once I got home I took the selector out and examined it. It was still intact, and there was no abnormal wear and tear.

Yahtzee?

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Oly did make reversible selectors..........

Century International Arms (CIA) guns with Olympic Arms receivers? Q: Century International Arms (CIA) guns with Olympic Arms receivers?

A: A version of the AR-15 named the "Centurion-15" was manufactured by Centry International Arms (CIA) in 1996 and 1997. The lower receivers they used for that product was manufactured under contract by OIympic Arms.

The ONLY Olympic Arms parts used on the "Centurion-15" were the lower receivers and reversible safety selector.

There has been confusion over the years as to which company is responsible for the Warranty and Technical Support of these firearms. In every case regardless of the question all responsiblity falls to Century International Arms.

zspeed130

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Indy, South side
    Stag makes left hand ARs, just sayin'

Also:

Quote: Learn to shoot correct handed
    Originally Posted by cop car
    learn to shoot correct handed. problem solved.

+1

Alright this is just silly! I am a lefty and have my technique down in case I need to shoot a non ambi AR. However a quality ambi selector from LMT or Battle arms
    Battle Arms Development Ambi Safety Selector Jerking the Trigger

is really the answer. I work the safety much faster in both directions. MANY of the new battle rifle designs are going ambi for this same reason. The Scar, ACR (I think), and several others. Many of the most well regarded trainers run ambi's for the same reason.

Go with an ambi safety and I do not think you will look back. If the long selector on the trigger finger side bothers you (it does not bother me) get out a grinder and shorten it a little. This is why I like the one on the link above.

Z

Top Bottom