• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just wondering what guys prefer on your Ar's, either iron type sights or scopes. Im looking to dive into the world of the Ar and mostly I like the open sights on the rifles I have now. But an Ar being a totally different animal over just a normal rifle, what do like for accuracy, target acquisition Which do you prefer and why?

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    Really depends on what you will be doing with it? Let us know what you will be using it for and you might get better feedback. That being said, it's probably the most versatile weapons platform, and can be changed about easily to meet whatever your needs are.

As a quick word of advice, I like my military platforms to be based around back up open sights. So for me, that means if I put an optic on an AR, I want a quick way to convert it back to open sights if necessary.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    For me, I prefer a red dot sight such as Primary Arms, Vortex which allows me to shoot accurately from 10yds to 200 yds, but I also keep a variable power scope on a quick release for times at the range when I wanna shoot at greater than 200yds

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Iron Sights are a backup only proposition for me.

I prefer my Aimpoint Micro, or a 1x-3x scope.

If you are a normal human being, you will be faster with a red dot, and more accurate with a scope.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    What's the mission?

My home defense/varmit AR carries a HWS and light and flip up BUIS. My long range AR15 has a 4.5-10x40 Leupold Mk III on it and no BUIS. My 10mm Carbine only has iron sights, and my .458socom has an RDS with flip up BUIS.

My LR308 will be wearing a 10x scope with QD mounts with BUIS.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Well this is going to be my first Ar. So im really wanting to get into running courses with this. me an my brothers are going to make up a shooting course over at our farm. So I guess you would say "Run an Gun". So not really shooting very far out. but may take it long range shooting on ocastion. Thanks for the input fellas!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'll take an optic (of any kind, suited to the task) over iron sights any day of the week. I can't think of a single scenario in which irons would be chosen over a functioning optic.

Optics allow you to shoot faster and more accurately, thereby making you a more effective shooter overall.

That's not to say that irons don't have their place-- as a backup to a failed optic. And that's not to say that one should forsake learning how to use them effectively. I just think an optic trumps irons every single time.

So I guess you would say "Run an Gun". So not really shooting very far out.

I'd take a look at 1x red dot sights, like an Aimpoint or EOTech (with a strong preference toward Aimpoint).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ill take a look at the red dot, thanks Esrice!

Here is an Aimpoint rep discussing my favorite red dot, the Micro.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m9zZz-8PYU[/ame]

And here is a quick video showing the "magic" of red dot sights.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjT68A4jXs8&feature=related[/ame]

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have one carbine with an EOTECH, one with am ACOG and one with a Colt scope. I have a 20" HB Target rifle with a Leupold 4.5-14x scope and all the others have irons. I like shooting them all but my old eyes prefer some type of optical sight. :twocents:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you want a back yard run & gun, then a red dot is probably the way to go.

I think there's a place for every kind of sight setup. On a 20" AR I like regular old iron sights. I was issued an m16A4 before all the red dots so it's very natural for me to hit what I aim at with the irons. Put irons on a 16" gun and something happens to me and I don't shoot nearly as good so I have put low power scopes on them and it's great out to 500 yards. I've also done the red dot thing. They get on target quicker than anything else and there's no getting around that.

Whatever you decide fits you best I'll be happy for you. My only recommendation would be that you at least learn to shoot & use the iron sights before moving on to any other kind of sights. Build your skills off of shooting with iron sights, not the other way around.

Top Bottom