• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmtbug21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Johnson County
    This past year, I had an itch to buy a rifle length AR with a fixed buttstock. Around September, I walked into a gun shop and found a Spike's Tactical A2 Retro that had a 20" FN HBAR barrel that is button cut and chrome lined. Now first of all, I really don't know why Spike's calls it an "A2 Retro" because the only thing that is A2 about it is its buttstock, handgrip, and front sight but it didn't matter to me as I wasn't looking for an actual A2 clone. It came with a flat-top upper, M4 feedramps, and many of the other common M4 or A4 type upgrades. Anyway, I was happy with its build quality & price for what I wanted to turn it into (which I wasn't exactly sure of at the time).

So far, I've added a Centurion C-4 M-Lok rail, Geissele SSA-E trigger, Geissele rifle-length Super 42 buffer spring, Troy back-up rear sight, and Ergo hand grip. I am not a long range shooter and don't plan to be. Most of my shooting will be within 300 yards. I currently plan on using it for a range and/or coyote (other varmint) gun. I am not worried about the weight of the rifle as it is already heavy due to its barrel profile. I also know that I am most likely not going to get precision type, sub-MOA, patterns from the chrome lined barrel.

Now for the optic situation, I had a Leupold Freedom red dot that I didn't use on a previous build and I mounted it on the Spike's. With the Leupold's 1 MOA dot, I can get good shot placement for hunting out to about 100 yards and obviously great for anything inside of that. Past 100 yards, I don't trust myself with good shot placement for ethical hunting. I am leaning towards a low power variable optic, possibly a l-6 or 1-8 (maybe a Primary Arms ACSS Raptor). Does anyone have any other optic suggestions or have experience with my type of rifle build?

Side note, the Geissele buffer spring for rifle-length buffer tubes are awesome and removed the "twang". I have also been very happy with the Centurion rail. I've shot approximately 500 rounds with the Spike's and have enjoyed it a lot without issues of any type.

Thanks everyone

Top Bottom