Anyone with good or bad experience selling on gunbroker?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Has anyone had trouble with the extended verification process when setting up an account? I've been trying to for a few weeks now and it won't validate my card even though I've verified the address etc from my filling statement. You can give them a bank account, but I don't trust their security that much....
    Have had an account for a while but only bought. Decided to finish setting up extended verification process and maybe try selling. I tried ( and tried ) several times a few weeks ago. Finally gave up. Was just thinking of trying again. And no I won’t give a bank acct. info.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    Have had an account for a while but only bought. Decided to finish setting up extended verification process and maybe try selling. I tried ( and tried ) several times a few weeks ago. Finally gave up. Was just thinking of trying again. And no I won’t give a bank acct. info.
    Glad it's not just me. Not sure why they don't have a paypal or venmo option

baranjhn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    I've sold on Gunbroker several times over the years and I've never had an issue. My best advice for a new seller is start with items that should sell for $500 or less. I think buyers would bid on lower priced items more readily for a new seller.

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    Just coming around back to this thread. There have been a rash of fraudulent sales on Gunbroker, especially lately. These include examples where the same gun is sold multiple times, or the price is extremely low. Usually, the seller gets 5-10 transactions before being deregistered. Many of the sellers have names with the pattern FirstnameLastnameXXX, where the XXX are numerical digits. For example (these are Wilson Combats):

They are preying on the multitudes of new buyers that do not have experience or are looking for a "deal".

Last edited:

baranjhn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    Just coming around back to this thread. There have been a rash of fraudulent sales on Gunbroker, especially lately. This includes examples where the same gun is sold multiple times, or the price is extremely low. Usually, the seller gets 5-10 transactions before being deregistered. Many of the sellers have names with the pattern FirstnameLastnameXXX, where the XXX are numerical digits. For example (these are Wilson Combats):

They are preying on the multitudes of new buyers that do not have experience or are looking for a "deal".
    Buyers have to do some due diligence too. In addition to what Squander said, if the sellers has very little feedback, selling an expensive firearm and does not have an FFL, caution should be in order.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    GB has been a good tool for me. When I decide to get rid of something I have no time or patience to deal with flakes. I either price it lower than fair or do no reserve to let the carp fight over it.

mikesouth12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Does anyone know the best/cheapest way to ship? I've had all good buying experiences, but have never sold anything.

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    Depends on what you are shipping. Pistols and long guns are often cheaper to ship through an FFL than direct, especially out of state. I think that shipping a pistol out of state requires a contract carrier such as UPS or FedEx, and these carriers require overnight if you are not an FFL. Accessories and uppers you can ship yourself using the usual methods.

I believe that an FFL has cheaper shipping options available, and so can be cheaper overall even including their FFL fee.

Last edited:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have bought and sold on GB for several years now with no problems...until this week. A NR(non rated) seller had a rifle I have been looking for with a "Buy It Now" at a price I found to be agreeable (not low, but agreeable). However, I had a couple of questions about the rifle so I sent them a message through GB. They replied to my question but their e-mail answers were kind of broken English? Not judging, so I ask a couple more questions and the return e-mail answers again were broken English, again not judging. So I hit "Buy It Now". Here is when the BS flag went up. The contact info given through GB showed the person as being in Alabama. However I received a e-mail from the supposed seller outside of GB directing me to send the postal M/O to Topeka Kansas, not Alabama, again VERY broken e-mail English. So I sent the seller a questions asking why the difference? They e-mailed back again VERY broken English. They needed the money to pay medical bills and they were very pushy about me getting them the M/O immediately. So much so that they wanted me to send them a photo of the M/O. I immediately backed out of the deal and sent GB a fraud alert. I looked on GB later in the day and the seller had re-posted the rifle same way. GB contacted me and said they were reviewing the situation. About 3 hours later the add was gone from GB. I was going to pay with a postal M/O and I believe (may be wrong) but I think had I done the deal and paid with the postal M/O, and had they scammed me. They would have committed a Federal Offense? Anyway...Buyer beware, if it seems suspicious...It probably is.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I have been buying from gunbroker since 2003 and in that time had a few issues including my most recent purchase.

Some years ago I won an auction on a Smith Model 19 for around $319 which was a good price even then. I get notification from GB indicating I won. Next thing I see is the gun relisted! I contact GB and they are of little help. Left a F review , this seller was even from Indiana.

Very recently won an auction for Glock 43X MOS and two weeks after the auction and even after multiple attempts at contact I still have not heard anything from the seller. I contact GB and they again are of little help , sending me "help" links which say basically to contact the seller? Then they say after 30 days I can file a claim which might pay me $175 less than what the auction cost me? The seller finally answered me on facebook messenger and in the end I did get my gun but I would not buy from this seller again.

Also had to send a few guns back that were not described or listed correctly . One was a CZ rifle that had multiple impressions and scratches all over the stock. And revolver that was pictured and listed as a non-lock model and was sent a lock model. In both instances the seller was took the guns back with no hassle.

Had won an auction for a Ruger SBH revolver and it somehow made its way to Los Angeles of all places. The seller offered to send me another or a full refund ad I took the refund.

Its not like I've had hundreds of transactions , have less than 40 feedbacks.

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    I sell regularly on Gunbroker, and have found many unrated and new buyers that require lots of hand-holding. I think this has prompted the rash of fraudulent sellers that take advantage of the relative inexperience of the buyers. I have also seen cases of fraudulent feedback, giving an A+ rating to a fraudulent seller, so please beware and try to verify as much as possible about the seller.

I think there are fewer fraudulent buyers, since the use of an FFL for a gun transaction helps prevent the claim of "I never received the item even though I paid for it"

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    if You are not a ffl, when you ship the gun to there ffl is there paper work that you need to send with it or is it better to pay to have your ffl send it?

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    Generally, the receiving FFL wants your contact info and a copy of your driver's license. (You have to make sure the receiving FFL accepts shipments from non FFL's.)

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Generally, the receiving FFL wants your contact info and a copy of your driver's license. (You have to make sure the receiving FFL accepts shipments from non FFL's.)
    Thank you. I have been a buyer for a long time. Have been thinking about downsizing some of my herd.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I've only bought two rifles on GunBroker but both sales went fine. I browse from time to time for things that are hard to find. Which is everything these days.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I have done well on GB, in February I got a Glock-22 RTF Louisiana State Police turn in with 3 magazines and a case for $425, add tax, shipping and FFL fees it came to $501, I am happy. Glock RTF 1 Mar 21.jpg

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    The way things are right now, you have a lot better chance of catching a deal on popular items if you find a seller that doesn't understand the current market and has a buy now price. The trick is to know the current market for the item you are interested in and to catch it before anyone else. Historically I've probably gotten better deals on auctions though.

However, I think that this is the behavior that the current predators on Gunbroker are relying on - the buyer's belief that a new seller has mispriced a buy-it-now item and the need to jump on it quickly before someone else does.

Top Bottom