Anyone with good or bad experience selling on gunbroker?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Carmel Corn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Carmel
    I've bought multiple things on GB and have had good luck. Haven't sold there before, but considering some accessory items I no longer need. A lot cheaper to sell than using Ebay and no friggin' anti-2A policies and penalties either (Ebay is ridiculous now for selling accessories).

Plinker556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2020
    Central Indiana
    I have bought a few times on GB with mostly good luck, but got burned one time.
    I checked out the seller and saw his business on google maps and read decent reviews. I won the bid on a pistol, communicated by phone with the seller (a pawn shop) and sent him a money order which is the only form of payment he would accept. Then he disappeared, would not return calls, texts, calls to the business, messages on GB...NOTHING. So I had to file a claim on GB and it took 6 months to get my money from them minus the $100 "fee".

I have had two great buying experiences since then, I haven't sold anything there yet.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've bought on Gunbroker a few times, never a negative experience. However, I will only buy on Gunbroker from FFLs and not private individuals. Also, they will take Visa/Mastercard, or I won't buy. Not sending anyone a check or money order.

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    Bought and sold on GB but it was a few years back. Out of numerous transactions I only had one non paying member and GB did credit my account. Of course it looks like things have changed there a lot since my last auctions. I to am exploring the idea of selling on there again.

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    All good info here.. I’ve been thinking about posting a Springfield m6 scout survival rifle on GB. They are pretty rare and if I sell it to trade it , I’d want a decent price or something really cool. If I do post it , I’ll report back on how it goes ..

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I have only had problems with non-paying bidders, and some buyers with unrealistic expectations. For instance I got an e-mail from a guy in California yesterday saying “according to the tracking information, you received my payment on 2/5, yet as of today (2/7) I have still not received the item”.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Even with fees, I believe you would net out more money for items right now on GB then you will here.
    I've had a acct. since 04 on there and have sold two nice AR's and some other stuff since Nov.
    I am very specific in my ads and maintain impeccable feedback.

Like someone else mentioned, as a new seller people will be leery of sending someone large sums of money with no feedback.
    If you do choose to sell, I would start now with some less expensive items to build up some feedback before listing something expensive.
    My first lesson learned was I did not charge enough for shipping when I sold a rifle early on.
    Yeah..... It went to Homer Alaska.
    Lesson learned, I always have a stipulation that if it is going to Alaska they buyer will need to add an extra amt. of money on top of the listed shipping fee.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I have only had problems with non-paying bidders, and some buyers with unrealistic expectations. For instance I got an e-mail from a guy in California yesterday saying “according to the tracking information, you received my payment on 2/5, yet as of today (2/7) I have still not received the item”.
    he must've thought he was paying Bezos for same-day shipping

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Even with fees, I believe you would net out more money for items right now on GB then you will here.
    I've had a acct. since 04 on there and have sold two nice AR's and some other stuff since Nov.
    I am very specific in my ads and maintain impeccable feedback.

Like someone else mentioned, as a new seller people will be leery of sending someone large sums of money with no feedback.
    If you do choose to sell, I would start now with some less expensive items to build up some feedback before listing something expensive.
    My first lesson learned was I did not charge enough for shipping when I sold a rifle early on.
    Yeah..... It went to Homer Alaska.
    Lesson learned, I always have a stipulation that if it is going to Alaska they buyer will need to add an extra amt. of money on top of the listed shipping fee.

I've got a fair amount of feedback as a buyer, but zero as a seller. I kinda wish I could run a few items through consignment on there through my local FFL.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've got a fair amount of feedback as a buyer, but zero as a seller. I kinda wish I could run a few items through consignment on there through my local FFL.
    If you have feedback as a buyer, I would say you'll be just fine.
    When I started on GB, I made 4 or 5 purchases before selling anything.
    I have never had an issue whatsoever on GB.

Pfcmaurx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Jeffersonville
    I've debated on this before, but I've never sold a gun on broker. I've bought plenty of guns and reloading supplies and the only bad experience was a packaging job or lack thereof for a rifle I bought years ago. I don't know what all the "gotcha's" are for selling. My hopes would be start things off at a penny auction and let the free market do its thing. Receive payment, and once something sells I'd take it to an FFL and have them ship it out to the buyers FFL.

Costing examples from their website:
    "For example, a $1500 item would cost:
    1. $250 times 6% = $15.00
    2. $1250 times 3.5% = $43.75
    3. Total = $58.75
    A $500 item would cost:
    1. $250 times 6% = $15.00
    2. $250 times 3.5% = $8.75
    3. Total = $23.75"
    I've just never done that before and I thought I'd ask around if anyone here had any experience with doing that. Now seems like a good time to purge anything I'm not getting much use out of.
    I have bought and sold over 100 guns on GB and have never had a major problem. I dislike their fees but it is a business so I understand. If you choose to sell take good pictures and be upfront with the description of the item and I think you will be fine.

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    Used several times. Just bought ammo last week (shipped today). Have used as both a buyer and seller. When buying, know how much it is going to cost to ship, any other fees and what forms of payment they take (is there a credit card fee?). When selling, understand how much it will cost you to ship (and where you might need to ship it from - UPS hub / overnight / etc. ), what you want to get out of it (after gunbroker fees) and what forms of payment you will take. I bid on a lot of stuff - do not get much because I have an amount in my head that I want to pay (all together). I'm patient and picky. So far, only one thing I regret not going higher on - a Just Right Carbine in 45 GAP, only 25 made. Wish I had more money at the time, it would be in my safe now. Before the current situation, you could find some deals - harder to come by now. The new taxes do suck, but it was inevitable (surprised it took that long).

bcsatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2021
    Farmland
    Years ago I bought a K98 and ammo from two separate sellers, had zero issues. I only shop the BUY NOW option as I hate messing with auctions. Using BUY NOW lets you know real quick if the price is bonkers.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Years ago I bought a K98 and ammo from two separate sellers, had zero issues. I only shop the BUY NOW option as I hate messing with auctions. Using BUY NOW lets you know real quick if the price is bonkers.
    I've never any buy it now pricing that made me look to gunbroker instead any other online vendor. The auctions are where I have hit a few jackpots in the past. In today's market, I'd just the same put it out there without a reserve and see what happens.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I set my max bid factoring in shipping, taxes now, and transfer fee and let it ride. Most of what I collect is now only seen on GB.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    Has anyone had trouble with the extended verification process when setting up an account? I've been trying to for a few weeks now and it won't validate my card even though I've verified the address etc from my filling statement. You can give them a bank account, but I don't trust their security that much....

Cheeki Breeki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Muncie
    Has anyone had trouble with the extended verification process when setting up an account? I've been trying to for a few weeks now and it won't validate my card even though I've verified the address etc from my filling statement. You can give them a bank account, but I don't trust their security that much....
    Yes they need me to send them 2 pieces of identification because the information I gave them doesn’t match their databases records. I gave them my current address but my ID’s address hasn’t been updated recently so when the two addresses did not match that’s when they halted the verification process. Until I update my address and send it to them I won’t be able to use gunbroker anymore. In the past I have purchased multiple firearms through various sellers successfully and they were all polite and it was kind of cool to be giving private individuals money instead of some greedy corrupt LGS.. Just be sure to check if the seller has a history of positive feedback. If you don’t you’ll be taking a slight risk in trusting a stranger with your money who has no credibility or references.

That is what makes places like Ingo so special and why I respect the 50 post rule in that it weeds out the potential scammers while simultaneously bringing locals together.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've never any buy it now pricing that made me look to gunbroker instead any other online vendor. The auctions are where I have hit a few jackpots in the past. In today's market, I'd just the same put it out there without a reserve and see what happens.
    The way things are right now, you have a lot better chance of catching a deal on popular items if you find a seller that doesn't understand the current market and has a buy now price. The trick is to know the current market for the item you are interested in and to catch it before anyone else. Historically I've probably gotten better deals on auctions though.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I set my max bid factoring in shipping, taxes now, and transfer fee and let it ride. Most of what I collect is now only seen on GB.
    I often get a chuckle at the many elaborate strategies people come up with and convince themselves are effective for winning online auctions. When it comes right down to it the only way to win an auction is to be willing to bid more than anyone else for that particular item so you might as well go in with your max and let it ride. If you are persistent and your max bid is reasonable you'll eventually win.

Top Bottom