Anyone with good or bad experience selling on gunbroker?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've debated on this before, but I've never sold a gun on broker. I've bought plenty of guns and reloading supplies and the only bad experience was a packaging job or lack thereof for a rifle I bought years ago. I don't know what all the "gotcha's" are for selling. My hopes would be start things off at a penny auction and let the free market do its thing. Receive payment, and once something sells I'd take it to an FFL and have them ship it out to the buyers FFL.

Costing examples from their website:
    "For example, a $1500 item would cost:
    1. $250 times 6% = $15.00
    2. $1250 times 3.5% = $43.75
    3. Total = $58.75
    A $500 item would cost:
    1. $250 times 6% = $15.00
    2. $250 times 3.5% = $8.75
    3. Total = $23.75"
    I've just never done that before and I thought I'd ask around if anyone here had any experience with doing that. Now seems like a good time to purge anything I'm not getting much use out of.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I have never had any problems buying, or selling, on Gunbroker.
    But, that was several years ago and their fees are different now and there seem to be more "hoops to jump through".
    But, if I had to sell something, or I saw a "great deal", I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have bought and old on GB numerous times over the years. In-fact just recently sold some ammo and a rifle there. Went flawlessly. I have never had any problem either selling or buying on the site. Only recent change is the sales tax thing now for Indiana. Didn't use to be a thing for us Hoosiers. Is now.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I’ve only used it once on a Model 70 30 06. The seller was extremely hesitant as I had zero history. Once they were convinced it was a smooth transaction. No issues.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    No problems with Gunbroker other than I made a bad decision years ago and "won" (via buy it now) a pistol I couldn't find in a local gun shop. Before it shipped, I did happen across one and when I handled it I didn't like it a bit, so I called the seller and very politely asked if I could unwind the deal--even offered to buy something else from them, but they gave a flat "no", so there's one "F" in my reviews for "non paying bidder". I sort of regret it, but it is what it is. I'm much more careful now. That's the only time I've ever done something like that which could jack up my online reputation.

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    I made my first transaction on Gunbroker last week and went extremely well. On a $627.00 sale, Gunbroker took $30.70. Eh, it could be worse but, again, the transaction went very smoothly.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I would recommend a reserve or a beginning price that is close to what you want to get out of it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I've bought and sold over several years without issue. You will find that a "new" seller normally doesn't get the same volume of bids or $$$ that someone with history. People are understandably leery about sending money to to a brand new seller but these are unusual times so you could be ok.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I had a good experience that came out of a bad experience.

I was the winning bidder on a Win 1897 32" barrel. The seller was late contacting me and didn't respond to my emails.
    Once I did get a response she told me she had already sold it!

She asked me why I wanted that particular shotgun and when we talked she told me she was liquidating her late fathers collection and she had another 1897 32".

End of story is she paid for the shipping and I got a solid 90% 1897 for $250.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    The vast majority of my experiences have been just fine. I did have an issue with a non-paying bidder a few months ago. The guy did not read in the listing that I only accepted money orders and would not pay since I was unable to accept credit cars. He left me an F and a vulgar comment in my feed back when I reported him as a non-paying bidder.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Only bad was I only accept usps money orders. Had a guy send a western union, so had to go to the western union store to verify it was real and pay their fee to cash it. Left him a C for failing to read accepted payments. Otherwise never had a bad buying experience.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    The last couple sales I had on there weren't great. There is a massive influx of new bidders that don't fully understand the process of buying from an individual that doesn't take credit cards. Out of 5 items I sold, two were nonpaying bidders. I definitely got a premium price for what I was selling but it was a bit of a hassle.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    The last couple sales I had on there weren't great. There is a massive influx of new bidders that don't fully understand the process of buying from an individual that doesn't take credit cards. Out of 5 items I sold, two were nonpaying bidders. I definitely got a premium price for what I was selling but it was a bit of a hassle.
    This was the case for me. The guy had a 6 week old GunBroker account at the time he accused me of being a scammer because I only accepted money orders.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    As in any facets of life you will run into flakes, non payer bidders and it takes about a month to get your fees back. Then sometimes that same item will sell for more when it's relisted. I have also learned many times over people do not read what you wrote in the listing. From time to time you will get asked an odd ball question or you will get low balled. You can choose to answer or just ignore them. After some items are sold you will start getting phone calls from all over the county. You kind of have to be a people person to deal with them. The newest thing now is that gb is starting to collect state taxes from certain states. Also you need to learn to keep your overhead prices down. Packing material can be pricey. But all in all it's not a bad place to do business at. I can go on and on but I'll stop here.

Top Bottom