• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just dropped a couple of paychecks on one of these things, it'll pay for itself but it's gonna take a loooooong time. From what research I've done there isn't much not to like other than the price tag. Being able to preserve food for up to 25 years just may come in handy in the not too distant future.

https://harvestright.com/

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Just dropped a couple of paychecks on one of these things, it'll pay for itself but it's gonna take a loooooong time. From what research I've done there isn't much not to like other than the price tag. Being able to preserve food for up to 25 years just may come in handy in the not too distant future.

I have not tried this yet but I will be very interested to hear what you think about it and how it affects your energy consumption.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    A family member purchased one several years back. IIRC their machine was afflicted with software issue from the get go that prevented the correct temps and required longer than it should have IMHO to be remedied.

Apparently it now does the job as I occasionally hear about something or another that was recently freeze dried. To which I usually sarcastically inquire how that something or another tastes with those Y2K lentils that I'm sure they're still trying to finish off.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My brother has one. They sent me some tasty freeze dried blackberries. That's all I have heard about it. Crickets otherwise.

They also have electric cars and solar panels on their house. Hope they live long enough to justify all of that investment.

I'm tuning in to keep updated on this contraption.

My dehydrator is running as we speak. Two half gallon ferments working also and I canned a case of salsa last week.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    My wife just got hers delivered wednesday, waiting on the new cabinets to put in so we can get her set up and running, yeah they are expensive, she has well over 3 grand in it!! Looking forward to freeze drying leftovers and fruit to snack on. Will let you all know how it works after some experimenting

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We really wanted one but they are STEEP! Looks like we are stuck with canning and the dehydrator for the foreseeable future.

Keep reusing those lids, folks!
    Hopefully we get a lot of good info, videos and such from these freeze dryer owners.

I remember well, the tough thought process before I sprung for my Vitamix, Excaliber and All American canner. All pretty large expenditures, for my meager budget anyway. Obviously, those are pittances compared to the freeze dryer, but maybe the investment will motivate use?

I'm hoping they become popular. Maybe I'll be able to spring for the knock off Hamilton Beach version on black friday sale at walmart before I die?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hopefully we get a lot of good info, videos and such from these freeze dryer owners.

I remember well, the tough thought process before I sprung for my Vitamix, Excaliber and All American canner. All pretty large expenditures, for my meager budget anyway. Obviously, those are pittances compared to the freeze dryer, but maybe the investment will motivate use?

I'm hoping they become popular. Maybe I'll be able to spring for the knock off Hamilton Beach version on black friday sale at walmart before I die?
    There is a Youtube channel called "Retired at 40" with a wide variety of freezer dryer specific videos.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There is a Youtube channel called "Retired at 40" with a wide variety of freezer dryer specific videos.
    Thanks! Just watched one of his vids. According to him, it's +/- a dollar a day to run the freeze dryer. That is less than I expected.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Thanks! Just watched one of his vids. According to him, it's +/- a dollar a day to run the freeze dryer. That is less than I expected.
    Don’t believe it. Harvestright support says to expect $1.25 - $3.00 per day, depending on the size of the unit and your specific power rates. Not bad, but more than a buck.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have not tried this yet but I will be very interested to hear what you think about it and how it affects your energy consumption.
    Depending on your rates for electricity, they say a dollar to a dollar fifty a day, i figure in the next month we will no for sure as my wife is like a kid at christmas and plays for a month. I did tell her we may be shutting down the central air more if it runs up the bill much, that went over good:stretcher:

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    We have had one for about 6 years . Our power consumption has been pretty much a non-factor . ( never really noticed a huge spike to be alarmed )
    We have the Medium ,4 tray model . The only issue has been the vacuum pump ( the older models had to have the oil changed out about every 2 loads ) We now have the Premier pump and have had no issues .
    About the easiest food to start on for us ( to get your feet wet ) was shredded cheese . It had a short cycle time to completion .
    We have freeze dried cheese , onions , peppers, strawberries ,blackberries, apples, cooked chicken breasts , eggs, and many others .
    The biggest bang for your buck to us , is drying meats ( which is one of the most expensive foods to purchase freeze dried )
    Eggs are one of our most dried foods we have stored . ( scrambled and dried in their raw stage )
    Lots of support on some of the social media Harvest Right groups .

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

I don't know why I read posts like this.....they cost me more than ads served by google....are you some sort of social influencer?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Congrats, that looks like it'd be handy and fun as well. I would cry at that price point, though. Literally. Real tears and a funeral for the money.

So when can we look for Phylodog's Backpacker Friendly MREs N Survival Rations as an INGO sponsor? Might help offset that cost sooner! (Sort of kidding, I know it's probably onerous to try and do it commercially)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Congrats, that looks like it'd be handy and fun as well. I would cry at that price point, though. Literally. Real tears and a funeral for the money.

So when can we look for Phylodog's Backpacker Friendly MREs N Survival Rations as an INGO sponsor? Might help offset that cost sooner! (Sort of kidding, I know it's probably onerous to try and do it commercially)
    I’ve done some crunching and I don’t think there’s really any way to make money via retail with a non commercial freeze drier. Some of the cycle times get into the 30+ hour mark and the payload is just too small. A big one would be a whole different story.

Top Bottom