• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I remember the cool 4x4’s during the blizzard of 78, Ford Hi-Boy to name one, but the truth was my dads 64 C-10 with camper shell and tire chains went everywhere they did. Have said for years I should get a set for my truck but never do and really haven’t had a need for them like back then. Any of you still use them?

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Never used chains .........but used to run studded snow tires on my `62 Galaxie back in the day .
    I pulled a few cars from ditches with that set up ......
    They were sure loud on dry pavement though .

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    When stationed in Cali, we drove to Tahoe one winter's day, and the roads in the pass were bad enough that the staties were stopping all 2WD vehicles that didn't have chains on. 4x4s could pass, all others were turned around.

There was a guy in Carmel giving away a set of studded tires to anyone who wanted them. I hadn't heard of them being used around here, only learned of them when I lived in Idaho 30 years ago.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    When it turns white outside, I stay inside. First vehicle I ever put chains on was a Cat 140 road grader. I'm glad I kinda know how to install chains but hope I never have to again!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    They're used on yard trucks in the winter. Anywhere where there's no pavement it's a good idea.
    Chains are great for no pavement and deep, unplowed snow....but if the roads are at all maintained, I don't see the need.

Besides, modern snow tires are 100 times better in the snow than the old bias ply tires.

I do, however, have chains on my plow tractor and you can't stop that thing no matter how deep it gets....not that we'll have a chance to see this year.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Chains? We don't need no stinking chains... :laugh:

eS1cU3ol.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No, not worth the bother given how little time deep snow stays on the roads locally and how little I need to get out in a personal vehicle if it's bad enough that chains are a good idea.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I've driven with studded tires before. It was dry out so just a lot of clickety-clack. I'm curious if chains are legal on city streets. IDK, but I could see some areas maybe frowning on them. And the Prius above, well, better to leave chains off and be thought a fool than to put chains on the wrong tires and remove all doubt.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Had studded snow tires on my '72 Javelin AMX with a 350 chevy engine in it. Pull onto US 30 (concrete down near Hamlet) and at night could throw dual rows of sparks (until I wore them down!!!). Dad noticed them one day when I was changing oil and had it on the hoist. That is when he taught me and had me pull the old studs out and restud those tires.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Around here (southern Indiana) nope. Even when I lived in Northern IL I never saw chains on the road.

As previously mentioned, modern all-seasons are better than the best snow tires in the 70s or 80s. modern snow tires are amazing.

Yes, many places frown on chains on the streets... very hard on the pavement.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have friends out in Colorado and they keep chains in their pickups but it is different country out there. I believe some mountain passes still require chains on semis and require 4x4 or snow tires.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    We ran them on the equipment when logging (Chains on an old detroit diesel powered timberjack skidder is damn near unstoppable). But haven't needed them for on road use in Indiana. Used them on trucks when we hunted north of Grandy Colorado in the winter.

Top Bottom