Anyone use or tried a Hill People Gear Kit Bag?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MidwesternStructures

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2023
    Indiana

Has anyone here tried or regularly used a Hill People Gear Kit Bag? I’m thinking about picking one up for hiking/cycling. EDC is a G19 with an extra mag. Thought about either the runners one or the original kit bag in medium. Anyone tried both? Heard the full-sized original was a little too big from another forum.

- Brody

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you do a search, it looks like there is a lot of discussion about them To get you started.

MidwesternStructures

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2023
    Indiana
    If you do a search, it looks like there is a lot of discussion about them To get you started.

Good info there. Thank you!

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Ive got one, probably had it 6 years. The quality is decent enough, but as it isn't made for firearm carry it takes some time to get the gun out and unless its the only thing in there it can get tangled up with whatever else is in there. If nothing else in there than the gun can move around a lot. For firearm carry in my opinion it would be much improved if it had straps inside that would replicate a belt that you could fasten your holster to. If you are just using it to transport the firearm without any ambition for a quick draw its fine. I really don't really understand all the praise it gets.
    FWIW I have found a belly band with kydex holster with gun in side or sob to be more practical and just bought a sleek fanny pack type at the mountain bike shop that I have high hopes for. Compartment is very small and holds a p365 with 12rd mag nicely.
    My use is fairly aggressive mountain bike riding catching minimal air.

MidwesternStructures

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2023
    Indiana
    Ive got one, probably had it 6 years. The quality is decent enough, but as it isn't made for firearm carry it takes some time to get the gun out and unless its the only thing in there it can get tangled up with whatever else is in there. If nothing else in there than the gun can move around a lot. For firearm carry in my opinion it would be much improved if it had straps inside that would replicate a belt that you could fasten your holster to. If you are just using it to transport the firearm without any ambition for a quick draw its fine. I really don't really understand all the praise it gets.
    FWIW I have found a belly band with kydex holster with gun in side or sob to be more practical and just bought a sleek fanny pack type at the mountain bike shop that I have high hopes for. Compartment is very small and holds a p365 with 12rd mag nicely.
    My use is fairly aggressive mountain bike riding catching minimal air.
    This is what I was thinking of doing initially, but after reading some things on Reddit it seems everyone says something along the lines of “I’d be worried about the retention in the event of a fall,” but then you have others who say they’ve tried it with high intensity activities and it works fine.

I had someone give me quite the scare the other day on a return from a 53 mile bike ride. Thought I was going to have to fight. Guy looked like he was on drugs and was pacing back and forth across the trail where I needed to ride to, as I got closer, he started walking in front of me. Rode straight towards him and zoomed around him last second. Pretty sure he was on Meth.

I’m like all of a 136 lbs lol

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    this is the fanny pack, i will be trying it out next week.

About the Hill People pack, Ive never had anyone that sees me wearing it not give me a second look. Friends tell me I look like like some sort of survivalist from 30ft away, thats not a good look for me 95 percent of the time. Ive found it to be perfect for a large pair of binoculars

MidwesternStructures

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2023
    Indiana
    I use one for cycling all the time! It's great.

Fact is that riding a bike means no way to put a gun anywhere on the waistline.
    Glad to hear it. Really considering getting one. Do you use the runners one or the original? Medium or Full?

Talkinghalls

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2020
    NW Indiana
    Little late to the party…

I’ve had the Running Kit Bag for a year now and I love it. It’s my daily running/bicycling carry method for my Glock 19.
    I did buy the trigger guard and attached it via lanyard.
    It’s held up great, I do need to readjust the chest strap weekly but that’s the only issue.

Lastly to wash it, but a mesh gym bag and toss the whole thing into the wash, and air dry it. (Took me way longer than it should have to learn that… )

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    this is the fanny pack, i will be trying it out next week.

About the Hill People pack, Ive never had anyone that sees me wearing it not give me a second look. Friends tell me I look like like some sort of survivalist from 30ft away, thats not a good look for me 95 percent of the time. Ive found it to be perfect for a large pair of binoculars
    Longer term report on this one. I love it with a 12 round p365. When im riding mountain bike trails i don't know its there at all. Its very sleek not like a traditional fanny pack, probably would not be great for something larger than the 365. To access it I spin the bag to access the zipper and it comes out pretty quickly. At this point I have no interest in finding anything better and don't have anything about it to criticize . After rides I have worn it shopping and get no funny looks

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Whatever bag you go with, I'd HIGHLY recommend that the "gun pocket" of the thing is compatible with a hook & loop holster. And then you get a holster for the gun to stick to it.

Something like this: https://redrockoutdoorgear.com/universal-holster/

Pack carried guns won't be super fast access. Some packs will be more optimal than others. I think I remember someone making a pack with a velcro tear-away section for the gun. Would that be faster than a zipper? I don't know. Maybe. Some of that tear away stuff, especially when new, is pretty stout.

Longer story longer...I bought a gently used Kit bag several months ago. But really the only chance that I had to use it was in Connecticut and in Maine. And because I flew to NYC - I didn't take any firearms with me so's I left the kit bag at home.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have both a a "snubby" sized runners bag and a medium. I use the snubby bag with chest strap daily for morning runs with a J-Frame and a garage door opener in it. The medium gets used for hiking, biking and Kayak fishing. So far I've been happy with both, although I did have an issue with my medium rubbing the back of my neck raw during a hike in Alaska a couple of weeks ago. I may have had it slightly overloaded and out of adjustment...should have probably paid a bit more attention, but I was preoccupied with trying not to slide down the mountain and die, lol.

I have a sort of ongoing review thread about these over on the sigforum that I've updated a few times since I got them. There are some pics with different guns, and experiences using them on a few different trips. They're a good piece of gear if you use them appropriately.

This thread started with exploring different options for chest carry...I didn't get the kit bag until page 2:
    https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/830601935/m/7390020484/p/1

Top Bottom