Anyone know where you can buy Micarta and/or G10 around Indy or Columbus???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'm looking to make some Micarta or G10 scales for a handgun I've got. I'd like to buy some 1/4" Micarta or G10 locally if possible.

Anyone know a place that sells these types of plastics around Indy or Columbus? I know a few internet sellers, but I'm not really wanting to pay more for shipping than I'm paying for the material.....

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    PM drbarnes or some of the other knife makers here.

I know some get their stuff online when they order kydex, but I'm sure there's a local place or two that has it as well

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Thanks guys. I'll look into contacting some of the knife makers. Maybe I can piggyback on one of their orders...

I know how to make micarta. I've done glass work with cloth and epoxies before. It's just more DIY work than I'm wanting to do when micarta is fairly cheap and plentiful.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I looked for some about a year ago and couldn't find any. I had to buy mail order.

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    I don't know about G-10, but isn't Micarta used for circuit boards???? If so, you might try Graybar. It's an electronic supply that our communications people on the railroad used as a supplier. Another would be Munier electrinics. Both are in Indy. There also was a plastics place just north of 70 on Shadeland where we bought Lexan, don't know whether they handled the other stuff though. Can't find the name and number in my old notebook though. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    When I was making my knife I went looking around the Indy area and found nothing. Google up canvass micarta and enjoy, there are hundreds of different flavors and shipping is not bad for 2 slabs of micarta perhaps 4, 5 bucks to ship, that's nothing.

Working with micarta isn't like hardened steel, it files and cuts well with proper tools, drills nice but the smell is horrible. Texturing the stuff is done with media blasting.
    Some other advice is get extra slabs, you never know when you might screw up a set and have to redo them.

I bought mine at usaknifemaker.com or find them at Texasknife.com

Post pics when your done.

Last edited:

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    What kind of "scales" are you making?

Matt

if you had done any knifemaking google searches, you will fin that "scales" are the colored hand grips on knives. the size of them fit many handgun grips for custom work. i've used laminated wood, local walnut (dried), aluminum, along with micarta, etc. for 45 grips and matching knife scales. when people see matching grips and knives, most are amazed you can do it. it's also rewarding to see the finished work.

Top Bottom