Anyone have experience with Tier 1 Concealed appendix holsters?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've been carrying OWB at 2 o'clock for a while now and find it pretty comfortable. 99% of the time I don't really care if I print (which I do a bit, but not horribly). I carry a CZ P10C OR in a kydex pancake holster, covered either with a large T-shirt, or cover garment in cooler months. I recently took a concealed carry class with a buddy who was thinking of starting to carry (wanted to be there with him to provide some moral support and also to see if I'd learn anything). The instructor was very big on appendix rigs and showed that he was carrying while instructing and you could honestly not tell until he lifted his shirt. It got me thinking that I might have to give it a try. What I didn't like is that he had a standard IWB holster that could be used for any position that he was using. I've tried that in the past and couldn't get used to it. I got thinking about holsters specifically made for appendix carry. My stepson uses the Tier 1 Concealed Axis Elite and really likes it. I'm wary of spending $135+ on a holster that I may not like. I've been using Gunfighters, Inc. Ronin holsters for a while now and really like them. I thought they were pretty expensive at ~$100, but this one is even more so. Thought I'd check the INGO community to get other opinions to see if this is a well regarded holster for it's intended carry position.

Last edited:

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Build quality id great. It may or may not work for you depending on gun and body type. I initially went with their sidecar setup but these days, I use an enigma most of the time.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Build quality id great. It may or may not work for you depending on gun and body type. I initially went with their sidecar setup but these days, I use an enigma most of the time.

Glad to hear it. I looked up that Enigma holster system. Interesting. Not sure I need anything that fancy, as I honestly don't have an issue carrying my current carry method at 2 0'clock OWB, but I might try either the Tier 1 holster or the JM holster for giggles to see if I like it better. The enigma I'll put on a list to check out if needed, thanks for the recommendation.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thank you for that. A couple of questions, do you own one? Is it comfortable?

Yes and yes, though that may be less help than you think.

I have various appendix holsters for a P226, G45, G43, and GP100. The one I linked is good quality, adjustable, and conceals well. It may (or may not) be the "best" for any given person/gun combo, though. Appendix is the most personal and variable carry method as far as comfort. Body shape, positioning, and pistol all matter quite a bit.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Glad to hear it. I looked up that Enigma holster system. Interesting. Not sure I need anything that fancy, as I honestly don't have an issue carrying my current carry method at 2 0'clock OWB, but I might try either the Tier 1 holster or the JM holster for giggles to see if I like it better. The enigma I'll put on a list to check out if needed, thanks for the recommendation.

I have gone through several AIWB rigs for different guns. I like the AIWB position but I haven't found any holsters that are both comfortable and easy to conceal. I kept looking at that Enigma over the years and thinking it wasn't that different but it has some pretty nice benefits. The benefits for me are that I can carry in different positions and it is completely independent of my pants/belt. You can carry super deep if you are wearing something like shorts or tighter clothes, or you can carry high . You can rotate from 10:00 to 2:00 and belts and belt loops don't get in your way. The best part is that you can use the toilet without having to remove or hammock your holster. The only downside I have found is that if you do want to remove your holster, it's a little more of a process than just pulling it off your belt due to the leg leash.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Good to know, for both, thanks. One thing I failed to mention is that I'm considering moving from my P10C OR to a Sig P365 X Macro. I'm very impressed with this little gun and I shoot it as well or better than my P10C OR that I've carried for years now. It's thin enough that I should be able to try IWB and appendix seemed like the place to start. I guess we'll have to see. I'll post my thoughts if and when I choose to try something out.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    As I am sure you have seen there are tons of options and many of them are good including Tier 1 and JM, among others. It really is an individual thing, especially with appendix carry. Tier 1 products are built by shooters who put out a lot of good information for free if you haven't checked them out on You Tube, do so. I could say the same thing about PHLster.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Absolutely not yet convinced I need to change how I carry, but am interested in gathering data and opinions. INGO is a great resource, as always.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What about this Safariland Species? Anyone have or use one?

Like wtburnette, I haven't had much luck with appendix holsters. That said, maybe not done trying?

I like the idea of this minimalist holster, that looks to adaptable from appendix to strong side? As much, I don't have a clip-on the belt holster that could go in a bag or glovebox that would fit nearly anywhere the gun would go.

BUG, the rare times not already carrying, etc. A good clip-on might be a solution to gun up quickly, when necessary. I have bumped into some times lately where this could be handy. We didn't used to trust the clip-on's, but modern tech seems to have solved the issue?

Icing on the cake is that it's only $45.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    What about this Safariland Species? Anyone have or use one?

Like wtburnette, I haven't had much luck with appendix holsters. That said, maybe not done trying?

I like the idea of this minimalist holster, that looks to adaptable from appendix to strong side? As much, I don't have a clip-on the belt holster that could go in a bag or glovebox that would fit nearly anywhere the gun would go.

BUG, the rare times not already carrying, etc. A good clip-on might be a solution to gun up quickly, when necessary. I have bumped into some times lately where this could be handy. We didn't used to trust the clip-on's, but modern tech seems to have solved the issue?

Icing on the cake is that it's only $45.

I just don't know. My feeling is a standard clip IWB holster not specifically made for appendix carry will not provide the best comfort and concealment. Of course I could be wrong. I bought my P365 X Macro from an INGO member and it came with an IWB holster. It was a standard small clip IWB holster. I tried it a number of ways and didn't find it comfortable. Not sure that I would find one of these holsters created specifically for appendix carry any more comfortable, but that's certainly my hope. I guess that remains to be seen... ;)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks. Something tells me that this could be an expensive journey, unless I happen to roll the dice and come up a winner with the first selection.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks. Something tells me that this could be an expensive journey, unless I happen to roll the dice and come up a winner with the first selection.

Big question is whether you can carry with ANY holster and tolerate appendix carry?

I love the concealability of appendix carry. However, I'm just not convinced that there is a way for me to do it? Maybe with twenty pounds of belly fat gone? Trying to chip that away, as I have for years.

I had a much respected INGOer give a cool demonstration of his Enigma a month ago. It was very cool, very adjustable and adaptable. Quite an investment for something that still might not work though.

Then there is still the compromise that you make running an appendix holster. No getting around the idea that you grow used to pointing your pistol at yourself drawing and holstering in certain body positions. The clip-on holster alleviates the problem for me, at least partially. One can remove the holster for reholstering and reclip a holstered unshootable pistol on the belt. :twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Safariland (am I placing too much emphasis on their good name in holsters?) also makes this inexpensive holster with one of those wings to bring the grip into your body...

1686153116651.png

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yep. I'm leaning towards IWB not working for me in any form. I went through this a few years ago, but I'm a bit too... erm, hirsute for IWB to work for me. I am not one who wears a tucked in shirt with another shirt over it. I'm a guy who wears a super baggy Tshirt and loves it. In the cooler months I could probably IWB, but certainly not when it's warm. I get hair pulled occasionally even with carrying OWB, so IWB would just be worse. I just remembered the X Macro I bought from an INGO member came with a small IWB holster. I just tried it out and I could barely reholster without getting hairs yanked out. No thank you!

Top Bottom