Anyone have experience with Liberty safe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Thinking about doing something similar to this myself. After buying a few safes I started inspecting them. The liberty I have has nothing behind the hinges for fire protection And if you ever take off the door cover and look at the locking assembly its very cheaply made. The locking bolts are connected to thin metal. It wouldn't take much to break them off. Most gun safes are alot of false advertisement imo.. I'm thinking about buying 10 guage metal and making a big box that I can put the safe in and lining it with ceramic. I think that would help tremendously over just a box with drywall for fire protection. After doing alot of research you find out that most firearm's burn up in most safes if it's a bad fire.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Yeah, most homeowner grade "safes" are basically junk. I was told with a power drill and a large flat tip screwdriver a 8 year old could get in through the door in about 5 minutes. Also the key backup on most electronic safe locks is very easy to pick.
    From a strictly technical standpoint, most gun safes aren't even classified as safes, but as residential security containers. A category only slightly higher than those cheap sheet metal cabinets with a chintzy lock in the handle.

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    I have the office model safe from liberty. It’s a midget version of one of the big boys. It came with the electronic lock but I had it changed out to the mechanical one. In my mind, I thought the mechanical lock was more secure. I now regret my decision. Lol. It’s a quality safe for what it is. The safe probably won’t survive the house burning down, but it at least will keep out “smash and grab” thief’s.

jax1463

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2021
    I have a Liberty Fat boy, I have it stuffed full. 800.lbs Behemoth! Excellent safe!

Now I'm looking for a quality fire rated ammo safe.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    Thinking about doing something similar to this myself. After buying a few safes I started inspecting them. The liberty I have has nothing behind the hinges for fire protection And if you ever take off the door cover and look at the locking assembly its very cheaply made. The locking bolts are connected to thin metal. It wouldn't take much to break them off. Most gun safes are alot of false advertisement imo.. I'm thinking about buying 10 guage metal and making a big box that I can put the safe in and lining it with ceramic. I think that would help tremendously over just a box with drywall for fire protection. After doing alot of research you find out that most firearm's burn up in most safes if it's a bad fire.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I noticed that back when I was shopping for safes. I bought one from Jeff Johnson (Johnson Safe Co.) out of Zionsville. It's one of his JS series safes so it's 1/4" plate door and 10gauge body but I didn't have to wait for it to be built so I wasn't being picky. Has been fantastic for as long as I've had it but one day I'd like to build a vault room. If I ever build a house I'll have one built in the basement with reinforced cinderblock, otherwise I'll have to get creative in converting a room, we'll see.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    I have a Colonial 23 with electronic lock that I got from Blythe's in Griffith about 4 years ago. It's the only safe I have ever owned and have been very happy with it.
    Have 23' Centurion from the same store. Think I've had it about a dozen years. It's done well for me.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    There are a ton of options for gun safes. Even liberty makes good ones and some which are price based Economy models. I have got most of mine when people where moving/divorce and could not figure out how to move it or just wanted it gone cheap. We got a crew and moved them. We scoured ads for them back in the day.

i Have a couple older home security containers that were made long ago. One is real nice. One is ok. the Ok one is as good as say the cannon Black Friday deals safe of today.I can move it with a dolly. The nicer one is heavy duty. The nice one I don’t know how long a go it was made but it is much sturdier version.

Ammo goes into ammo boxes and those boxes go into a giant Knapp job box. More inexpensive plinkers go into the old cheapie the nicer ones that I use the most go into the nicer old container and the collectors go in the safe. That Knapp box has served well as a container also when needed.

A-Aron88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I've had a Fatboy Jr for about 7 years now. Mechanical lock.

I've been very happy with my purchase and would definitely recommend Liberty.

Top Bottom