• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgeorge21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 19, 2023
    Feet
    Specifically the one in Carmel. When it was Point Blank I had friends who said they had a very bad experience but now that it was bought out by Range USA I am considering visiting this weekend. I love the range I usually go to but their membership is expensive and Range USA has unlimited range time for $40 a month which would save me quite a bit.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Specifically the one in Carmel. When it was Point Blank I had friends who said they had a very bad experience but now that it was bought out by Range USA I am considering visiting this weekend. I love the range I usually go to but their membership is expensive and Range USA has unlimited range time for $40 a month which would save me quite a bit.
    They weren't bought out. It's the same ownership, the just changed the name.

Lots of threads here about them.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    @tgeorge21

Search thread titles for "Shoot Point Blank" "SPB" "Point Blank" and other various names they have operated under. There is plenty of commentary on the Board about them.

pewpewINpewpew

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Fishers
    I have been a member there for about 8 months and haven't had a bad experience. Yes it can get busy but I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes to get a lane, which was maybe once. The RSO's are mostly good. A couple let you toe the line on rapid fire, others will hammer you for more than 1 shot per second. Most of the employees are knowledgeable and want to help. Prices in store are okay at best and their transfer free is too high but the range portion is good. It's my closest option so that's why I go there.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I used to be a member there. They decided to cancel my membership out of no where. When I asked them to reinstate it they told me to go and sign up again. It was a scam to force me to pay a higher (over double) amount.
    I have been nothing but frustrated with them when ever I went there.
    I refuse to go back to them. Their prices were never that great.
    I liked that I could bring my son with me to shoot for free with my membership.. but it's not been worth the frustration lately.

Derbster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Lawrenceburg
    Pretty good experience with the ones around Cincinnati. The only thing I didn't care for is when you use their range they charged me for "range maintenance" fee which is fine but when I went to another location I had to pay it again. Not a big deal really but still. Also they told me their FFL transfer fee is $75. lol

MrGiggles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    Carmel
    I'm very new to shooting, so have little frame of reference. I've been about six times over the last two months, always on weekdays. I've had a good time! The RSOs I've had have been chill, it usually isn't crowded the days I'm there, and the basic membership is fine for me. (basically unlimited weekdays, costs about the same as an hour of range time). Air conditioning is a huge plus for me lol

Biggest con is prices, they're not great. You can definitely get better ammo prices buying online, especially in bulk. Idk about gun prices.

tbh my favorite part is the lack of politics. Corporate vibe means no posters or old guys behind the counter talking **** about whatever's on the tv. Cool if people are into that, but it's nice to have a place nearby where I know when I walk in the door, all I have to worry about is guns and shooting.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I was trying to break in a pistol and they griped about me shooting "too fast". Nevermind that every shot was on the paper target. Damned annoying. Not all of us are idiot wanna-be thugs that can't shoot.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I feel like a dude here was all pissy bc they cancelled his membership "for saying he was going to show his pal how to shoot". That's at least the story we got as I recall.

Someone with a better memory can you confirm or correct me?

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    You'll get a variety of experiences at Range USA depending on who waits in you. They are a big corporate outfit that tries, but doesn't succeed, in being consistent across all locations.

I like that with my membership I can shoot at any of their locations. I travel for work and it's nice to take a range break while on the road.

I've gotten a couple of guns from them that were reasonably priced, but they are mostly too high.

Not all of us are idiot wanna-be thugs that can't shoot.
    You're not the one who has to deal with the idiots who see/hear you shooting fast and then whine when asked to slow down. Depending on the RSO and how crowded it is I've seen that policy ignored. My experience you're ok for double taps, but not mag dumps.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I feel like a dude here was all pissy bc they cancelled his membership "for saying he was going to show his pal how to shoot". That's at least the story we got as I recall.

Someone with a better memory can you confirm or correct me?
    Yep. He dared to ask permission to do something they considered competition. (they also sell instructor time) So they overreacted and cancelled his membership and told him never to return.

Protip: if you want to share a lane and show a buddy some shooting tips or do some informal coaching/enrichment that an experienced mentor would do, just do it. Dont ask for permission. Odds are unless its REALLY slow and the RSO is REALLY tuned in, they wont notice.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Yep. He dared to ask permission to do something they considered competition. (they also sell instructor time) So they overreacted and cancelled his membership and told him never to return.

Protip: if you want to share a lane and show a buddy some shooting tips or do some informal coaching/enrichment that an experienced mentor would do, just do it. Dont ask for permission. Odds are unless its REALLY slow and the RSO is REALLY tuned in, they wont notice.
    A buddy of mine has put me through hours of "advice" and coaching and not a word has been said about it.

He's increased my skill considerably.

bf5565

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Elkhart
    They’re about to open a new one locally to me. I’m hoping that this one isn’t as bad as people are saying. From driving by it looks like it’s going to be fairly big.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I shoot there pretty much weekly and it's open to the public, so inherently there will be annoyances. I try to go during the weekdays to avoid most of the crowds. I have never had a problem with any of the range officers or staff. Very rarely are there any patrons that concern me.

However... I went on the weekend once and I was probably more worried about getting shot through the wall by the kids shooting their Mini Draco at 3 yards than I ever have been worried about how I was treated by the staff.

The prices do pretty much suck and I have only ever bought a couple of things, but I don't have a better option for a range that's close to me.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They’re about to open a new one locally to me. I’m hoping that this one isn’t as bad as people are saying. From driving by it looks like it’s going to be fairly big.
    It is a range and store for the masses. It is not a local gun store nor a local club range. It is a corporate owned facility that seems to cater to people that are comfortable with big box stores. Being corporate there will be illogical corporate legal BS, (as if LGS’s don’t have the owners quirks in their procedures :lol2:) just like any big box store.

It is not for everyone, only you can say whether that atmosphere is right for you…

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield is a much nicer experience.
    Indy Arms at 55th & Keystone is nice too and part owned by Guy Relford our local 2A attorney and advocate.
    I have great experiences at Parabellum in Avon as well.

I'll never go back to Range USA.

You should look into a conservation club membership, much better experience as well and more knowledgeable/professionals too. I belong to Fall Creek Valley CC in Anderson, beautiful facility with a dozen 100yd rifle lanes plus 4 covered pistol lanes with target trolleys and they do action shoots (open to public - needn't be a member to participate) several times per month on Fridays. Also a soon to be completed 200yd rifle lane with remote target and video spotting.

For other conservation clubs around Indiana, click the range map at the top menu of INGO pages. Memberships are usually way less expensive than indoor ranges. FCVCC is only $75/yr.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been a member of Range USA for years at Carmel & now Greenwood.
    Love my 2-3 days per week range times there. :thumbsup:
    I pay $20/mo for a M-F membership & stay for 3-4 hours at a time.
    Did I mention I love retirement? :laugh:

Pre-Covid, I would buy the occasional gun there, when prices were equitable, & have bought holsters or mags there on occasion even now.
    Staff is great, with the Rangemaster, Cliff, a totally awesome guy!

Top Bottom