Anyone have a good source for a rebuilt or crate motor that isn't a million dollars?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have one on order from Jegs for my '84 suburban. When we ordered in late June, the web site showed the estimated ship date of July 14th. I called yesterday for an update on the shipping date since I haven't had any emails saying it shipped yet. They called ATK and the model I ordered currently has 45 on backorder. Mine is #39 and they are estimating six to nine MONTHS for delivery. I blew a head gasket a week after we ordered so hubby already pulled the engine anticipating the new one would be here soon.

I'm not looking to break the bank but we ordered a small block Chevy 350 that was a four bolt rear main with 330 HP and are trying to find something comparable. Any suggestions on manufacturers to avoid?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have one on order from Jegs for my '84 suburban. When we ordered in late June, the web site showed the estimated ship date of July 14th. I called yesterday for an update on the shipping date since I haven't had any emails saying it shipped yet. They called ATK and the model I ordered currently has 45 on backorder. Mine is #39 and they are estimating six to nine MONTHS for delivery. I blew a head gasket a week after we ordered so hubby already pulled the engine anticipating the new one would be here soon.

I'm not looking to break the bank but we ordered a small block Chevy 350 that was a four bolt rear main with 330 HP and are trying to find something comparable. Any suggestions on manufacturers to avoid?
    Wouldn't hurt to give Jasper Engines a call. 800-827-7455.
    At work we have an engine on order for a van that the order was placed in April and it's still on back order. Many many parts are hard to come by right now.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Wouldn't hurt to give Jasper Engines a call. 800-827-7455.
    At work we have an engine on order for a van that the order was placed in April and it's still on back order. Many many parts are hard to come by right now.
    Jeg's is probably getting theirs from Jasper. 350 is a real popular old motor. Not surprising that they're backorder. Sorry Mom. If yours is rebuildable a local machine shop might be helpful. Twist Wingrider's tail and see if he has any good ideas. He is a ways from you but I think he does some engine work.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Jeg's is probably getting theirs from Jasper. 350 is a real popular old motor. Not surprising that they're backorder. Sorry Mom. If yours is rebuildable a local machine shop might be helpful. Twist Wingrider's tail and see if he has any good ideas. He is a ways from you but I think he does some engine work.
    Jegs carries ATK engines. So far we have one in stock option that is 390 hp. He isn't sure I need that. Rebuilding is being explored.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Jegs sucks. They have went down hill so far from what they used to be.
    Check with Summit. I dropped Jegs during the chassis phase on the 64 ImpLa SS. They said in stock and once they had your CC info locked up they drug their feet slowing everything down.
    I went to Summit and was totally happy.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Jegs sucks. They have went down hill so far from what they used to be.
    Check with Summit. I dropped Jegs during the chassis phase on the 64 ImpLa SS. They said in stock and once they had your CC info locked up they drug their feet slowing everything down.
    I went to Summit and was totally happy.
    I buy most of my stuff from Summitt. If I can't find it somewhere else I might look at Jegs

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

It may be worth checking with Jasper.

I've seen pics of your pair of big trucks!

Gotta get them out again.

Good luck!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Exploring our options now. Rebuild has been discussed but he would like to upgrade the motor a bit. Summit was checked but not much in stock that fits my truck. I'm not sure about the VEGE motors as I am unable to find clear info about the warranty or the reviews. I see 3 star ratings on some but can't read actual reviews as to why they got 3 stars.

We are leaning toward the one from Lane automotive. Classic Industries emailed that they have a minimum of 12 weeks lead time and no guarantee that won't be extended. We can drive to Lane Automotive and pick one up since it is in stock but we need to decide before that option disappears.

I appreciate the input.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It may be worth checking with Jasper.

I've seen pics of your pair of big trucks!

Gotta get them out again.

Good luck!
    I'm forced to drive the grandbabies around in the '89 until the Red Rocket is mobile again. They just hate it. LOL

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Well not sure how far you are from Decatur?

My vote would go for a Lengenfelter. I mean Horsepower to the extreme and if it’s good enough for the alphabet crowd. Why not Mom45?

But for the more Budget Minded a call to LKQ corp may be worth a try?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom