Anyone had a 1911 trigger job performed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Back in the late 80's A gentleman by the name of Sig Shore had a gun shop on the outskirts of Chicago. There was a club back then called the "Illinois Prairie Dog Exterminators", at a meeting Mr Shore wanted me to shoot his reworked Colt 1911 in .45ACP, it had a 2 lb trigger, in competition, I ran the action a few times and couldn't get the same feel for the trigger, I told him to add a pound to the trigger and I would shoot it. Add on 6 months, I was in South Dakota and got a knock on our motel room door, Who is standing there but Sig with him in a cast from hip to ankle. Seems his 2 lb trigger went off with him sitting on the gun, Mexican style. The club had a Red bullet award for any body shooting something they shouldn't, Sig won that award that year.
    It makes me think that the U.S. Army might have been onto something, way, way back when when their minimum acceptable trigger weight for a service issue 1911 was 4 pounds!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Back in the late 80's A gentleman by the name of Sig Shore had a gun shop on the outskirts of Chicago. There was a club back then called the "Illinois Prairie Dog Exterminators", at a meeting Mr Shore wanted me to shoot his reworked Colt 1911 in .45ACP, it had a 2 lb trigger, in competition, I ran the action a few times and couldn't get the same feel for the trigger, I told him to add a pound to the trigger and I would shoot it. Add on 6 months, I was in South Dakota and got a knock on our motel room door, Who is standing there but Sig with him in a cast from hip to ankle. Seems his 2 lb trigger went off with him sitting on the gun, Mexican style. The club had a Red bullet award for any body shooting something they shouldn't, Sig won that award that year.
    Do stupid things win stupid prizes, sometimes even a Darwin Award.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    I think the ability to make parts to exact tolerances has made the 1911 trigger able to get down to the 2lb to 2.5lb range for a competition gun, I am old school so a 3.5lb trigger is fine for a defensive gun. Amature smith's watch a video on shaping the sear and trigger interface not knowing when they cut too far into the hardened surfaces or go past the safe engagement point. Plus now frames are located by computer and drilled with much more accuracy with much less tolerance stacking. So now days you can order a trigger kit with all the parts needed and fitted for a safe trigger with weights in the 2 to 4 lb range.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I think the ability to make parts to exact tolerances has made the 1911 trigger able to get down to the 2lb to 2.5lb range for a competition gun, I am old school so a 3.5lb trigger is fine for a defensive gun. Amature smith's watch a video on shaping the sear and trigger interface not knowing when they cut too far into the hardened surfaces or go past the safe engagement point. Plus now frames are located by computer and drilled with much more accuracy with much less tolerance stacking. So now days you can order a trigger kit with all the parts needed and fitted for a safe trigger with weights in the 2 to 4 lb range.
    A lot of folks with match grade .22 conversions have trigger jobs in the 2 lb. range. Even when done by highly skilled pistolsmiths they often have issues. I certainly wouldn't want a 2 lb. trigger on any 1911. Quality trigger jobs make trigger weights feel lighter than they are.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    A lot of folks with match grade .22 conversions have trigger jobs in the 2 lb. range. Even when done by highly skilled pistolsmiths they often have issues. I certainly wouldn't want a 2 lb. trigger on any 1911. Quality trigger jobs make trigger weights feel lighter than they are.
    I agree with you 2 lbs is light and maybe too light but a well done trigger should break like an 1/4" icicle and return with almost no movement. People with triggers that have problems need to reassess the need for such triggers. If you want 22lr pistols with triggers like that look into free pistols with electronic triggers, don't know anyone making 1911 electronic trigger yet. But it could happen. Me I'm happy with a 3-3.5 lb trigger as long as it is crisp, Have I shot guns with 2 lb triggers yes but if you look at a hammer and sear on one of them with a good 10x glass you'll see a slight offset in the wear pattern on the hammer and sear. They are engaged but that offset allows the sear to drag off the hammer as the surfaces are just too small.

Top Bottom