Anyone had a 1911 trigger job performed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Have a Springfield Range Officer 1911 in 45 that is a great shooting pistol but would be even better with a lighter trigger. It is close to 5lbs maybe a little lighter. Was going to buy the Cylinder and Slide 3.5lb ultra match 5 pc set. C&S said I would need to replace the parts that make up the ILS before installing their kit.

In the late 1980s I had Clark convert a 45 for me and the trigger job was incredible. Who has had 1911 trigger job and where was the work performed? Would like not having to ship the gun.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Have had quite a few 1911 trigger jobs done. Churchmouse was my go to guy until God called him home. Would highly suggest our AllenM to do the work. He owns Moore Guns in Avon and has taken over my 1911 go to guy jobs. Can't think of anyone better to do the work.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I haven't had anyone do a 1911 trigger job for me for many years, but I've had a few custom trigger jobs by nationally know pistolsmiths in the past. I did put a Cylinder & Slide kit in my Springfield Armory Match Trophy a few years ago. The forged parts replaced the MIM hammer and sear, which is essential in my mind. I don't remember removing the ILS, but maybe I did. It is a very nice trigger pull. I believe that Cylinder & Slide recently closed their doors. There are other places which offer trigger kits, i.e. EGW, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, etc. I would only buy a trigger kit which included a forged hammer and sear. I wouldn't recommend a 3.5 lbs. trigger job for a gun used for anything besides match shooting.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have done some light trigger work on my 1911 but ultimately took it to Allen. I won't touch the sear area. I only stone/polish the other contact surfaces.

It is really nice. Anyone who checks that trigger is impressed. I can't remember the pull weight, but it's low.

And this is with the factory parts and just his "touch" to make it smooth.

SA Ranger Officer in 9 mm.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Update , its been a while since last posting but I took my 1911 to Jerry C Johnson in Churubusco , IN a few weeks ago , dropped it off and came back a little over an hour later and the work was done. Trigger now MUCH better for target shooting! Shot it yesterday with a load I had never tried before and was very pleased with the trigger and initial 25 yard target results!

11 1911 zero N320.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Update , its been a while since last posting but I took my 1911 to Jerry C Johnson in Churubusco , IN a few weeks ago , dropped it off and came back a little over an hour later and the work was done. Trigger now MUCH better for target shooting! Shot it yesterday with a load I had never tried before and was very pleased with the trigger and initial 25 yard target results!

View attachment 255276
    Is that an adaptor plate that slides into the factory dovetail for your red dot mount? I have been thinking about putting a dot on my 1911, but I don't want to cut the slide. It's bad enough that I'm putting a dot on a 1911 in the first place!:ugh:

Mine is also a RO model.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Is that an adaptor plate that slides into the factory dovetail for your red dot mount? I have been thinking about putting a dot on my 1911, but I don't want to cut the slide. It's bad enough that I'm putting a dot on a 1911 in the first place!:ugh:

Mine is also a RO model.
    Yes its a one piece unit (EGW I believe) that fits very snug into the rear sight dovetail so there is no potential for movement. Very solid and I think it even had a hex screw that added a little more piece of mind. Not as nice looking as a milled slide but it works and I can once again shoot the 1911 at 25 and 50 yards. There was period of about 4 or 5 years where I did not shoot the 1911 as I could not see the open sights well enough at distance.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes its a one piece unit (EGW I believe) that fits very snug into the rear sight dovetail so there is no potential for movement. Very solid and I think it even had a hex screw that added a little more piece of mind. Not as nice looking as a milled slide but it works and I can once again shoot the 1911 at 25 and 50 yards. There was period of about 4 or 5 years where I did not shoot the 1911 as I could not see the open sights well enough at distance.
    This is where I am at. For the most part I am either looking through a scope or a red dot. My 1911 sits only due to the sighting system on it. I love shooting it but my eyes don't.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Your trigger probably just needs some tweaking with the stock parts. A well done 4 lb. trigger will feel like 3 lbs. to most people if it breaks cleanly and the sear spring is properly tensioned and will not follow. First thing is get rid of all of the creep (not pretravel) so that when it breaks it surprises you.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I have used this drop in trigger from Nighthawk and it is fantastic. Not cheap but once you buy parts and pay labor its not that much more. And you can do it yourself with a simple punch set and a small hammer

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Your trigger probably just needs some tweaking with the stock parts. A well done 4 lb. trigger will feel like 3 lbs. to most people if it breaks cleanly and the sear spring is properly tensioned and will not follow. First thing is get rid of all of the creep (not pretravel) so that when it breaks it surprises you.
    I updated in post #8 . The stock trigger pull was actually as creep free as any of my Smith revolvers in single action. Just needed it a little lighter.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Have a Springfield Range Officer 1911 in 45 that is a great shooting pistol but would be even better with a lighter trigger. It is close to 5lbs maybe a little lighter. Was going to buy the Cylinder and Slide 3.5lb ultra match 5 pc set. C&S said I would need to replace the parts that make up the ILS before installing their kit.

In the late 1980s I had Clark convert a 45 for me and the trigger job was incredible. Who has had 1911 trigger job and where was the work performed? Would like not having to ship the gun.

Not to beat a dead horse but I moved to Florida 7 years ago and still go to AllenM. I’d rather pay shipping and transfer fees to have it done right than let one of the idiots down here work on my guns.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Your trigger probably just needs some tweaking with the stock parts. A well done 4 lb. trigger will feel like 3 lbs. to most people if it breaks cleanly and the sear spring is properly tensioned and will not follow. First thing is get rid of all of the creep (not pretravel) so that when it breaks it surprises you
    I'm not a fan of MIM sears and hammers that come in most 1911's these days. I think forged parts make for a better and longer lasting trigger job. Some very good 1911 shooters prefer a roll trigger to one with a sharp break. Some like a long roll and some a short roll. Having said that, it is true that a sharp (glass rod break) trigger pull is still very popular.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm not a fan of MIM sears and hammers that come in most 1911's these days. I think forged parts make for a better and longer lasting trigger job. Some very good 1911 shooters prefer a roll trigger to one with a sharp break. Some like a long roll and some a short roll. Having said that, it is true that a sharp (glass rod break) trigger pull is still very popular.
    I ask ChurchMouse about mim parts in my Springfield Ronin and RIA 10mm. He said shoot them until they fail then replace them with good parts.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I ask ChurchMouse about mim parts in my Springfield Ronin and RIA 10mm. He said shoot them until they fail then replace them with good parts.
    I can't argue with that. To clarify, I think that MIM sears and hammers are ok, but not for trigger jobs. When you want the best, you must use the best available parts and those are forged.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    Back in the late 80's A gentleman by the name of Sig Shore had a gun shop on the outskirts of Chicago. There was a club back then called the "Illinois Prairie Dog Exterminators", at a meeting Mr Shore wanted me to shoot his reworked Colt 1911 in .45ACP, it had a 2 lb trigger, in competition, I ran the action a few times and couldn't get the same feel for the trigger, I told him to add a pound to the trigger and I would shoot it. Add on 6 months, I was in South Dakota and got a knock on our motel room door, Who is standing there but Sig with him in a cast from hip to ankle. Seems his 2 lb trigger went off with him sitting on the gun, Mexican style. The club had a Red bullet award for any body shooting something they shouldn't, Sig won that award that year.

Top Bottom